Author Topic: avast emulator what is it ??  (Read 4973 times)

birka1

avast emulator what is it ??
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »
I get every day a new avast emulator in ZA. What is it, and what does it do? It just keeps adding up and there is a new one every day.
Would really appreciate it someone could tell what this is.
Thank you !

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: avast emulator what is it ??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:13:32 PM »
What exactly do you mean? Sf.bin?
It's part of the antivirus engine, responsible for code emulation...
(And it's certainly not a new one everyday, it's just the folder name that is changing.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »
The sf.bin file, presumably what you are talking about?

- The SF.bin is the code emulation part of the avast and is downloaded or updated on virus definitions updates.

A probable over simplified explanation:
Emulation is used by the File System Shield on scans as another means to detect possible malicious content, e.g. the file is run in an emulator environment to see what it actually does when run. This is over and above the standard signature based scan that would be done.

If this is considered as possibly suspicious it may then pass this off to be run in the auto-sandbox; you get the pop-up recommending you run it in the sandbox, but you have the option to run normally and remember the decision for this application (if you know what it is and are confident that it is good).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

birka1

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:52:14 PM »
Thank you for the explanation. I just hadn't seen it before. So I then get a new one every day, and it needs my server for setting, cause that's the way it shows up in ZA?

Also I tried to change my profile, as I now have Windows 7,  but it wont let me when I point to my countrty. What am I doing wrong ? ???  Had no trouble doing this before.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »
Thank you for the explanation. I just hadn't seen it before. So I then get a new one every day, and it needs my server for setting, cause that's the way it shows up in ZA?

As Igor said:
Quote from: igor
(And it's certainly not a new one everyday, it's just the folder name that is changing.)
You don't get a new one every day, it is just the location that changes as the new VPS update is contained in the new VPS folder and each one would have a copy of sf.bin, see image1), you could try allowing sf.bin in ZA.

Also I tried to change my profile, as I now have Windows 7,  but it wont let me when I point to my countrty. What am I doing wrong ? ???  Had no trouble doing this before.

Well you have more than 20 posts so it shouldn't be restricted. Having been able to enter your Profile (must be logged in), Forum Profile Information, if able to get into here you should be able to select your country from the drop down list (image2).

You should also be able to edit your signature, now you must scroll down and click the change profile button.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

birka1

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »
Thank you for the answer as that explains it,  and I'll try it (just didn't know if the entry in ZA was legit, and as you have explained it is). I did figure out how to change my profile, sorry about  that.

Thanks for all your help !

birka1

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 10:23:02 PM »
Sorry again I changed the specs in My profile Preferences, but it does'nt show up.  Any suggestions as it shows up in the text for signature and says it should show up in  post but it does not...... ??? ???

birka1

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 10:26:26 PM »
This is really bad for me, but it didn't show up last time, and now it does. So please disregard the last post pleas. My apologies.

Many Many Thanks ! Not my best day (am on antibiotics, and they make me a little strange). :'(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 11:09:40 PM »
Thank you for the answer as that explains it,  and I'll try it (just didn't know if the entry in ZA was legit, and as you have explained it is). I did figure out how to change my profile, sorry about  that.

Thanks for all your help !

You're welcome.