Author Topic: How to avoid computers?  (Read 6193 times)

outridger

How to avoid computers?
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:20:45 AM »
We have a finger scan time card with a computer on the network. It will not work with avast for a few reasons, i delete the computers from the "Computer Catalog" but avast auto adds it every few days. The computer is on a static IP and i wondering if there is a way to avoid the IP address in future scans.
Thanks
James

outridger

Re: How to avoid computers?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 03:10:20 AM »
Still looking for help

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:54:46 AM »
It depends on what type of scan your ADNM server uses, but there is an automatic "discovery task" that runs every day by default I think.

I don't really think you'll be able to remove it from the scan, since avast will see it if it's online on the network, but if it's not on the domain and you use the domain scan, it might be avoided.

Suffice it to say that the scanning of avast in the ADNM console can be a little problematic for these types of things.  We've heard complaints from people (and I agree) that avast will add computers to the catalog no matter what their status is, and use up licenses even though the computer doesn't have avast installed.

I guess the best thing for you to do would be to disable the discovery task scheduled processes, and only run it when a new machine gets added to your network.  That way, the machine doesn't get added automatically, and you can delete it when you run the scan.  Not the best solution, but hopefully the new version that's coming out soon will give us more configurability.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

outridger

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:14:25 AM »
thanks m8 ill try that for now

wpn

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »
depending on configuration ADNM looks in AD for machines. It will find them even if they are turned off.
Like scythe said, turning of the discovery task is the only option. Running it when its needed and delete the pc you dont want to see or manually import a new computer in ADNM are then the only options.

A really nasty sollution could also be to have ADNM do ONLY discovery via PING. Have the computer that you dont want to see locked down with a firewall so it wont respond to any request but only open the needed ports for the application.  This i wouldnt advise tho, since you could start to miss out on other firewalled computers that dont respond to ICMP packets.