Author Topic: Avast and HIPS!  (Read 17834 times)

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
Re: Avast and HIPS!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 04:37:46 AM »
I have tried Avast Internet Security on my other computer and the firewall is the strongest one I have ever seen! 
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Gargamel360

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 04:38:21 AM »
If you have to ask that bob then its not worth explaining. Just look at Avast's scores over at Matousec and it explains all.
They test it as a stand-alone firewall.  The flaw of this method has been discussed here numerous times.  It is not meant to be that way, it needs to be used as part of AIS to work as it should.

Dieselman

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 04:43:18 AM »
Maybe true but he asked. And when you look at the competition and the other firewall he has used..............Avast IS is very poor. Its like driving a Kia after driving a 500SL.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 04:45:05 AM »
Maybe true but he asked. And when you look at the competition and the other firewall he has used..............Avast IS is very poor. Its like driving a Kia after driving a 500SL.
Avast IS isn't very poor.... it is better then any other AV out there.. plus the firewall is way better.
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 04:50:57 AM »
I hope Avast wont use a HIPS in the future as it can be VERY annoying with all the popup questions!! I tried Online Armour firewall on my virtual computer and got tired of all the popups..

As for Avast Firewall being weak, I'm not very sure about that.. It all depends on the test methods.. Avast did extremely well in the virus bulletin comparatives test and wasnt that good at all on  av-tests (Avast got average results on that)..

So its the same case with firewalls I guess.. depends on the test methods.. Also Norton firewall seems to pretty weak in that as well..
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Dieselman

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 04:52:14 AM »
Avast IS isn't very poor.... it is better then any other AV out there.. plus the firewall is way better.

Better then what exactly?

Gargamel360

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 04:56:36 AM »
Avast IS is very poor.
Wow, now you have gone from saying the FW is bad to saying the whole suite is very poor?  On Avast!'s own forum no less?  Your big brass stones swing mightily  :o ;D

Its like driving a Kia after driving a 500SL.
I'm lost on that metaphor, fuel efficient compact vs. performance sport = FW vs. FW ....how?

Dieselman

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 05:01:35 AM »
We are talking about the firewall is Avast IS people. Gezz.

If your lost with that metaphor then your lost in general.

Offline Rompin Raider

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 05:09:02 AM »
We are talking about the firewall is Avast IS people. Gezz.

I appreciate the input...that helped quite a bit and definitely answered my question. Back to HIPS....
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin

Gargamel360

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 05:18:47 AM »
No, I believe it is you who might be lost, as in maybe forgot this is Avast!'s forum?  If you had your own bad experience with AIS then of course you could post about that.  But touting Matousec as the truth and crapping on Avast!'s doorstep?  (wait, maybe I am lost, is this Comodo forums  ??? ;D )

Back to HIPS....
What, first you move the topic away from HIPS, now you want to go back? ;)

Offline Rompin Raider

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 05:25:48 AM »
No, I believe it is you who might be lost, as in maybe forgot this is Avast!'s forum?  If you had your own bad experience with AIS then of course you could post about that.  But touting Matousec as the truth and crapping on Avast!'s doorstep?  (wait, maybe I am lost, is this Comodo forums  ??? ;D )

Back to HIPS....
What, first you move the topic away from HIPS, now you want to go back? ;)
Sure...I heard what I needed to know and now it can revert back to who has the nicest HIPS!
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin

Raveen Kool

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 08:53:02 AM »
Just look at Avast's scores over at Matousec and it explains all

Matousec test is about HIPS not for firewall so Avast scores very low....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 01:51:05 PM »
Matousec is NOT reliable and independent... Why worry about?

Gizmo criticizes the Matousec's tests. It's a technical reading, but seems fair (http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/matousec-personal-firewall-tests-analyzed.htm).
Others point to an interest conflict on Matousec's tests, reducing their independence (?) (http://smokeys.wordpress.com/2008/04/20/matousecs-firewall-challenge-wrinkle-conflict-of-interests/).

Leak tests are popular mainly because they are very easy to perform: you simply run a program, and it tells you if it passed or failed the test. However, life is not that simple, unfortunately.

The primary goal of a firewall is to keep hackers out of your system, that is, prevent inbound attacks in the first place. It's astonishing that many firewaller "testers" only focus on outbound protection, completely ignoring the inbound part (which is absolutely vital). It's like they assumed it worked flawlessly in case of all the products, which, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be the case, really.

Next, outbound protection is of course also important, but so called leak tests are not everything. There's a myriad of other things that a decent firewall should do, and which are usually not assesed by these tests. All I'm saying is that testing a firewall is a very complex task and focusing on leak tests is a gross (and inappropriate) simplification.
The best things in life are free.