Author Topic: Avast 6 Virus definitions not updating  (Read 7164 times)

osem123

Avast 6 Virus definitions not updating
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »
Hi everyone - my first post here :)

Yesterday my PC (XP SP3)started up in the morning with no issues, with Avast updating automatically as normal.  After a couple of hours online, the PC was left on as usual and later in the day I logged back in and noticed a warning from Windows Security Centre stating that my AV might be out of date.  I only updated to Avast 6 a few weeks ago and at first I thought it might be something to do with having to register after 30 days or whatever.  Anyway, I clicked on the little Avast icon in sys tray, the maintenance window opened up. I selected both the 'engine & defns' and 'programme' updates, these went through OK in a couple of mins. and both were then confirmed as being updated to the current versions. My system was then restarted but instead of the usual automatic confirmation from Avast that my 'virus definitions have been updated' I got the same alert from WSC and the red Avast pop up appeared at the bottom right of the screen stating that my virus definitions were out of date. I repeated the same procedure as before via the maintenance window and everything was immediately confirmed as being 'current' with no need to update further but the warnings remained.  Anyway, it was late so I switched off and left it overnight but this morning it has just happened again and I have no idea what to do next. I'm a PC novice but could an automatic Windows update of some sort be responsible for this?  Until yesterday Avast always updated itself every day but now something seems to be preventing that.  Can anyone help please?

Thanks in anticipation.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:25:31 AM by osem123 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 6 Virus definitions not updating
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »
have you tried avast repair and reboot?

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

osem123

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:59:26 AM »
No not tried that but will do now and report back.  Thanks for your prompt reply.   :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:01:29 AM »
you have of course removed/uninstalled  any previous installed AV program before you installed avast ?

It is recomended to run a removal tool to clean out all leftovers
removal tools can be found here  http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:03:11 AM by Pondus »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:03:19 AM »
And of course you have registered Avast? 6 weeks are more than 30 days...
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

osem123

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »
Pondus - yes I was using Avast 4.7 until a few weeks ago and finally updated to v6.  It's been working fine since then until yesterday. I've also just tried the repair option you suggested but although it showed a 'programme updated' status, after rebooting the same problem happened.  The versions I now have are 6.0.1091. and 110418-1.

Stephen - I haven't been using this version for 6 weeks but it could be over 30 days now.  I've been using Avast for some years now and seem to recall getting end of 30 day trial licence reminders after updating annually but haven't received any such notification or reminder that I need to renew it this time. Anyway I will look into that now and see if that's the problem.

Thanks so far.  :)

Update:  I just checked the registration details and they confirm the product is registered - it was installed 24/03/11 and is registered until 23/03/12.  Although in the registration help section it mentions a 30 day requirement to confirm/register to continue to receive definition updates I haven't actually done that yet and can't do so because the system says I'm already fully registered  ???
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:39:45 AM by osem123 »

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 11:36:51 AM »
Okay, so you are using the free version and updated via GUI from version 4?

Maybe the best way is a complete deinstallation and then install from scratch.

Maybe, just to be sure, use the uninstall tool: Click

Run this tool in Windows safe mode to remove all remnants of Avast, the freshly install current version.
Free MBAM Clear

osem123

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:46:47 AM »
Steven - I was using 4.7 and got what I thought was the usual annual update licence reminder.  When I did this, however, I found I was automatically updated to new version 6 I guess because 4.7 was so old.  :)

It's all been working fine until now so I tend to think this is something to do with the end of the 30 day period coming up.  Perhaps there was some sort of glitch with the initial installation..   ???

I had thought of uninstalling and reloading it all but I'm really new at all this stuff and don't know anything about windows safe mode so I think I will try uninstalling via control panel and reinstalling the normal way.  Then see what happens.

Thanks so much for your help.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 12:03:38 PM »
Okay, try that first.

No need to be afraid though, if we need to, we'll take you through the process. Safe Mode is no secret, it's as easy as one-two-three.

But chances are that we don't need it.

Please report back if you succeed.
Free MBAM Clear

osem123

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 12:57:25 PM »
Steven - I did the above and reinstalled the programme, registering it at that point also. When I rebooted, the WSC alert red shield immediately appeared in the systray but after a few minutes I got the reassuring popup alert from Avast that the 'virus database has been updated' and at that point the WSC warning disappeared.  All seems OK for now then (phew!.....), but I wonder if this issue was down to something related to the licence 30 day period. ???  This is mentioned in the Avast help section but although I registered my e.mail addy on both these recent installations of Avast, I have never been sent a licence key yet or any activation link like the one I got when I joined this site. Could this be part of the problem and am I likely to have the same problem in a few weeks time when the 30 day period is coming to an end ???
I may be wrong but I seem to recall having virus database update issues on previous versions of Avast around the time the licence was due to expire but obtaining and inserting a new licence key always sorted it out. Does that make sense?  Could it be a related issue?

Anyway at this point I'd like to thank you again for your kind, efficient and polite help with this problem. As a novice with PCs it's very stressful when problems like this happen and people like you and the others here make life a whole lot easier for us amateurs.  :) I'll be recommending this place to others you can be sure!  :)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »
Whatever the problem was: it's gone.  ::)

Was my pleasure helping you. Avast will give you a pop-up message well in advance if re-registering in needed, you can do that then (not earlier) via the GUI on the Maintenance section.

Greez
Zyndstoff
Free MBAM Clear

osem123

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 01:28:10 PM »
Yup, thanks again!

:)