Author Topic: BSOD caused by aswSnx.SYS  (Read 11671 times)

noracharles

Re: BSOD caused by aswSnx.SYS
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 01:58:10 AM »
This thread is way above my pay grade.

However, I posted earlier that I got the BSOD on TWO different VISTA computers.  I never had it before the 6 upgrade; and never had it again when I removed Avast and replaced it with AVG.

I have the same BSOD on an XP laptop but expect that to go away when Avast does.

As previously stated, because I've loaded the same programs on my 3 computers, I'm convinced that one of them conflicts with Avast.

NC

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 02:01:02 AM »
please send me your minidumps (\Windows\Minidump folder) to kurtin@avast.com
thanks

RB123

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 08:44:03 AM »
I have gotten this too, even with the other 6.0 versions. In the meantime, what are we suppose to do to avoid this?

Not enable Driver Verifier on aswSnx.sys and aswSP.sys? ;)

On aswSP.sys How do I do that on Vista?

you don't >>> you're currently posting in a thread strictly related to the impact of the driver verifier - when activated - in Windows XP. So if you have no idea how to deactivate it in Vista, that already means that you didn't install/activate it in the first place.

Wasn't it enabled to show the BSOD in the first place?
no,
...besides, did you ever do that?

Enabling Driver Verifier
You can enable Driver Verifier by using Verifier.exe. Verifier.exe is included with every copy of Windows and automatically installed into the System32 folder. Verifier.exe has both command-line and graphical user interface (GUI) interfaces, so you can specify drivers and appropriate levels of verification. You can also see Driver Verifier statistics in real time. For additional information, refer to the "Driver Verifier Manager" section of this article.

No, I have never enabled it.

RB123

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 08:53:24 AM »
@RB123, what's your exact problem with avast? I'm sorry, but it's not clear from your answers here. Did you get a BSOD or something else? Thanks.

I have gotten BSOD with Avast, 5 or 6 times. I haven't tried the new one yet. I just don't want anymore BSOD. Hopefully your DV team in Redmond might fix this problem in the future. I'm currently using another AVS and haven't had a problem with the BSOD at all, after using it for a month now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:56:10 AM by RB123 »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 09:02:19 AM »
Hopefully your DV team in Redmond might fix this problem in the future.

It's not Avast's DV team, it's Microsoft's team... that's why it is located in Redmond, VA, US of A.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

RB123

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 10:05:46 AM »

It's not Avast's DV team, it's Microsoft's team... that's why it is located in Redmond, VA, US of A.

Oh, Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 10:17:49 AM »

Oh, Thanks for clearing that up for me.

No prob. My pleasure.  8)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 10:38:09 AM »
please send me your minidumps (\Windows\Minidump folder) to kurtin@avast.com
thanks

Hi Pete

May not be related but yesterday I updated AIS from 6.0.1089 to 6.0.1091, rebooted, logged on, went away for a few minutes and came back to a 'blue screen and full memory dump type situation'. Could be a complete coincidence but it might also be a Windows update or other conflict issue that as XP SP3 was apparently stable prior to the update and I'd like to keep it that way.
I've compressed the .DMP and will upload it (vladimyr1091.rar) later tonight when I get home.

EDIT: My collection of MEMORY.DMP files is growing. Have so far been unable to complete uploading of 'vladimyr1091.rar, due to further BSODs. I'll try uninstalling AIS 6.0.1091 and reinstalling from scratch before I try ulpoading again.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:04:27 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »
EDIT: My collection of MEMORY.DMP files is growing. Have so far been unable to complete uploading of 'vladimyr1091.rar, due to further BSODs. I'll try uninstalling AIS 6.0.1091 and reinstalling from scratch before I try ulpoading again.

I've reinstalled AIS6.0.1091 minus the firewall and Behaviour Shield. So far no BSODs but explorer has crashed a couple of times.'vladymyr1091.rar' successfully uploaded. I'll be interested to see if you find any conflicts.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »
Happy Easter!
So far still no BSOD after clean install but I'm still reluctant to reinstall BSh and Firewall. Has anyone been able to have a look at my memory dump? 'vladimyr1091.rar'