Author Topic: Can AIS firewall make a "block all" rule?  (Read 2796 times)

sded

Can AIS firewall make a "block all" rule?
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:19:49 AM »
I would like to block all access to port 25 by all processes since I do not use it for SMTP and the only potential user would be malware.  Can AIS do this?  I have done it with many other firewalls, but don't see a mechanism here.  The message "xxx would like to access the internet" is not really explicit enough for this.

Hermite15

Re: Can AIS firewall make a "block all" rule?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:33:11 AM »
lol wanted to just do it in global packet rules but you can't enter ports manually there

delete ::)

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:37:25 AM »
what's wrong with the UI, port boxes appear when you hover the mouse over them and disappear as soon as an entry is highlighted...

sded

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 01:43:57 AM »
Thanks Logos, I think it will work.  You need to enter the protocol as tcp and/or udp to get the port boxes to stay.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:52:17 AM by sded »

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:58:24 AM »
cool ;)

sded

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 03:23:04 AM »
Unfortunately I don't understand the results at all.  Don't have an unencrypted mail server that actually uses port 25, so just changed gmail to port 25 and stopped redirecting port 25 in avast!  Got the log attached; maybe tomorrow I will figure out what it means.  Sent some test messages from Thunderbird, but the logged responses don't seem to make sense.  All are listed as being blocked by the rule.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:25:21 AM by sded »

sded

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:49:19 AM »
Think I have it figured out.  The automatically generated "allow all" rule after the block all is essential to make the whole thing work.

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »
this reminds me of Comodo firewall global rules panel where the order of entries in the list matters... last entry at the bottom of the list there was also an "allow all".

ethan76

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 09:26:54 PM »
Yeah I remember that with Comodo. Rules are read top-down:)
Rules for blocking incoming traffic should be somewhere above the Block All IP rules and all block rules for outgoing traffic should be above Allow All IP OUT. Nice one:)