Author Topic: windows explorer hanging with avast  (Read 10099 times)

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: windows explorer hanging with avast
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 03:00:54 AM »
@Dieselman, my suggestion was faster and better... slowdown is caused by heuristics scan

Dieselman

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 03:03:18 AM »
@Dieselman, my suggestion was faster and better... slowdown is caused by heuristics scan

This isn't a competition my friend. Its a forum where members help other members. Thanks.

hany3

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 03:21:07 AM »
thanks so much for ur trying to help me
this forum really has many nice guys here
and i really appreciate all ur efforts

i did tried to do a clean install on a fresh xp sp3 and i experienced the same issue
hanging for many seconds when trying to open a folder has some exe file's
and i have to say that some of the  exe's are about 39 mb size
but strange i don't experience such lag with the earlier version of avast 5 also not happen with avira or avg
and i really like avast and wanna settle on it

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 03:22:45 AM »
When was the last time you used Disk Cleanup, or Disk Defragement?
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Dieselman

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 03:24:02 AM »
Avast has a behavior shield. Try adding these files, whatever they are to the exclusions. You can add them to the file exclusions and behavior shield exclusions. Open up Avast and click on Real-Time Shields. Within there you will find the exclusions area. What exactly are these files anyways and how much ram do you have?

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 03:27:13 AM »
Avast has a behavior shield. Try adding these files, whatever they are to the exclusions. You can add them to the file exclusions and behavior shield exclusions. Open up Avast and click on Real-Time Shields. Within there you will find the exclusions area. What exactly are these files anyways and how much ram do you have?
The OP said they have 2gb ram  in one of these posts on this topic
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Dieselman

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 03:28:13 AM »
Yeah I just flipped back and looked myself. So ignore that question.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 09:36:47 AM »

This isn't a competition my friend. Its a forum where members help other members. Thanks.

Dieselman,

For your information : Petr is an Avast! Senior Developer, so I suggest you have little respect for him and his suggestions.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

hany3

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »

i only install the file shield
i don't even have the behavior shield installed with avast
also this happens with any folder having multiple exe's inside not just a certain folder so i can't exclude all folders with exe's on my pc otherwise the AV protection would be useless IMHO
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:16:31 AM by hany3 »

hany3

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »
When was the last time you used Disk Cleanup, or Disk Defragement?
i always use them

SafeSurf

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »
When ever your having any sort of software issues its always best to uninstall and reinstall then go from there.
Not true.  You need to diagnose the problem first and not jump to conclusions that doing an uninstall/clean install will automatically fix the problem.  You also need to show some respect for the OP/user by not assuming their gender, as the OP politely pointed out to you.

As mentioned in an earlier post, pk is a Senior Avast Developer and you blew him off with no respect, and he was trying to help the OP, and we can ALL learn from him.

@ hany3,  Thank you for your patience.  We will assist you as pk is aware of this thread, so should return to assist.  Thank you again for your understanding.  :)

Hermite15

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 11:06:25 AM »
... Please try my suggestions first. When ever your having any sort of software issues its always best to uninstall and reinstall then go from there.

yeah cool 8) no need to troubleshoot anything anymore then, wonder why this forum's still online ;D ... as to advising a user to ignore an Avast developer investigating the issue, well done ::) ... not mentioning that pk knows where the issue comes from, while you obviously don't.

edit: not mentioning that if heuristics are behind the issue, an uninstall/re-install won't change anything, the issue will remain.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:16:41 AM by Logos »

Dieselman

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 12:13:05 PM »
And like any other suggestion addressed the issue? NO. I love how all of you are quick to criticize but none of your comments involves trying to help the user's problems. Shame on you.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:27:05 PM by Dieselman »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 12:28:10 PM »
Dieselman, one thing to remember is that whenever an issue is being handled by an Avast team member, it's time to step back and especially refrain from suggestions that conflict with the advice/recommendations given by the Avast person. Recommending a reinstallation the product doesn't really help.

Regarding this specific issue, we're trying to track down the root cause of the problem so that it can be fixed.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

salim

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »
Its all working now - back to work!