Author Topic: Avast and Sandboxie - problem running MS Word 2007 in Sandboxie on Windows 7  (Read 5974 times)

pte101

I'm running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit and Avast Free version 6.0.1000 Virus Def. 110416-1.

I cannot start MS Word 2007 in Sandboxie (http://www.sandboxie.com).  When I try to start Word in Sandboxie, these two avast files try to load in Sandboxie:

c:\program files\alwil software\avast5\snxhk.dll
c:\program files\alwil software\avast5\snxhk64.dll

The Sandboxie author asked me if there's a way to prevent these files from loading in Sandboxie. 

I don't know the answer and thought I would ask the forum if anyone knows the answer. 

Is it possible to stop these avast files from loading in Sandboxie?

Thank you.

ArtemisF0wl

try disabling avast's autosandbox.. its not recommended but those 2 files i think are autosandbox related

Dieselman

You should only sandbox your browser. You don't need to sandbox a word document. The main purpose of Sandboxie is to protect your browser from unwanted changes. Also be aware that Sandboxie for 64 bit OS's is not the same as for 32 bit OS's due to patch guard.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?NotesAbout64BitEdition

pte101

Thank you for your replies.

@artemis  I have disabled avast's autosandbox, but those two files still appear in Sandboxie.

@Dieselman  Actually, the main purpose of Sandboxie is to protect your system from changes, not just your browser.  Many people run an incredible assortment of programs that reach out to the internet in Sandboxie.  Whether one needs to sandbox a word document may be debatable; however, until just recently, I was able to open a downloaded Word document from within Sandboxie and the document would open in a Sandboxed version of Word.

I am aware that Sandboxie of the differences in versions.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
@Beppe, thanks for your post. I've already read it on sbie forum.

snxhk.dll/snxhk64.dll are present in most processes (even if your avast was installed without sandbox component), because it's used by behavior shield.

I'll check test it with sbie and let you know.

pte101

Thank you.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
I couldn't simulate it -- I tried Win7 x64 + Office 2007 Pro.

you wrote:
WINWORD.EXE file from Office 2007 is 408,936 bytes long

mine winword.exe has something around ~370Kb, which version do you use? enterprise or professional?

pte101

I'm running Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 (Version 12.0.2465.1000).

pte101

At tzuk's request, I uninstalled Avast and tried to run Word in Sandboxie.  Even with Avast uninstalled, I could not run Word in Sandboxie, so I think we can say that Avast is not creating the problem.

Thank you all for your help in attempting to resolve this problem.

Dieselman

I have never heard of anyone needing to open a word doc in Sandboxie. Sounds paranoid to me. Download the latest beta.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10200

pte101

People run all sorts of programs in Sandboxie (e.g., iTunes, which I don't use myself).  Just because you think it's paranoid doesn't make it so.

Thanks. I'm already using the latest beta.

Dieselman

People run all sorts of programs in Sandboxie (e.g., iTunes, which I don't use myself).  Just because you think it's paranoid doesn't make it so.

Thanks. I'm already using the latest beta.

Well that was a test also. If you are using a beta version of any product then you need to understand what beta means.

Beta = Use at your own risk.

pte101

I know you think you're really brilliant, but the problem occurred with the regular version too.

Dieselman

I know you think you're really brilliant, but the problem occurred with the regular version too.

Add it the the exclusions. You can also edit Sandboxie config to not interfere with Avast.