Author Topic: Some advice for a new user? & Help!  (Read 9290 times)

Thunderblade

Some advice for a new user? & Help!
« on: October 09, 2004, 07:42:11 PM »
I just installed Avast 4 into my system, I'm running into the following problems and am hoping that someone can give me some help.

When I start Avast and after I enter my key, there is a popup for the program saying "Storage cannot be created for the 'splash' task." Then after I click ok, it then says "Configuration is not loaded properly. Error: dbsCreateObject"

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but nothing worked. Can someone give me some advice?   :'(

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Some advice for a new user? & Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 07:46:03 PM »
Change the database type in the avast4.ini from odbc to xml and see if it solves the problem. Do a little search on this board. It is explained in many threads.

If it doesn't solve the problem, let us know so we can look deeper into it.

A repair of Avast may also be able to solve it.
start > control panel > software > Avast > change/remove > repair
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 07:48:30 PM by Eddy »

Thunderblade

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 07:46:47 PM »
I did a search looking for the splash problem, but I didn't see anything. Thanks for your advice, I'll give it a shot.

:)

Thunderblade

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 07:59:32 PM »
I tried finding the .ini file in the Data folder where the other posts say to go, yet its not there. Tried a repair like you said, still didn't work. Hmm...

There is a Avast4.MDB file and a Avast4.LDB file where the ini should be located also.

Edit: Now it says: "Program cannot save parameters to the storage! Error: (dbsCreateObject)."

:'(
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 08:07:07 PM by Thunderblade »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 08:17:30 PM »
Only thing I can think of you can try is a complete uninstall of Avast with the Uninstall Util, then a reboot and a new install.

Others may have some other ideas. It's up to you if you try it now or wait for others to respond first.

ps: also mention the os you are using here.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 08:17:57 PM by Eddy »

Thunderblade

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 08:20:51 PM »
Windows XP Home Edition - Service Pack 2

techie101

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 08:30:33 PM »
Thunderblade,

I agree with Eddy at this point.  It appears that something has become corrupted more now then when the trouble started which went beyond the capability of the Repair function.

The dbs object error is indicative of a missing or corrupted .ini file since the setting for it lies within that file.

You will need to remove and then reinstall Avast.
Should be get the dbs object error again, then locate the Avast .ini file
Within it, look for ODBC entry and change it to XML.  This normally corrects the data object error.
Since you said you cannot locate the ini, then Avast does not have any configuration to go by including dbs object information.  Understand>?

Let me know.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 08:31:31 PM by Techie101 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 08:31:35 PM »
I tried finding the .ini file in the Data folder where the other posts say to go, yet its not there. Tried a repair like you said, still didn't work. Hmm...

There is a Avast4.MDB file and a Avast4.LDB file where the ini should be located also.

Edit: Now it says: "Program cannot save parameters to the storage! Error: (dbsCreateObject)."
:'(

A search of these forums for dbsCreateObject will no doubt return many hits as this topic has been  previously discussed a number of times.

You can download RejZor's avast! External Control program. Here you can change the   database storage method.

You may not be able to see the .ini file extension because it is a common file type and by default windows hides common/known file types, you can change this within windows to view all file types. You should however be able to see avast4 in the data folder and this will have a Type of Configuration File.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

techie101

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 08:36:05 PM »
If you wish to insure that all folders are in view as David points out, you can do it this way:

My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Hidden Files and Folders....

However, the .ini should still be visible unless the options to HIDE HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS, AND HIDE KNOWN FILE TYPES are checked.  I believe that only the first option is checked by default in Windows.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 08:45:52 PM by Techie101 »

Thunderblade

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 09:03:36 PM »
It is fully functional now. Thanks everyone, sorry if I was a handfull. Appreciate all your help.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 09:17:17 PM »
Always nice to hear a problem is solved ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 09:21:49 PM »
Thanks for letting us know it worked, that will help those reading this thread in the future.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security