Author Topic: AutoSandbox Test Tool  (Read 152711 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: AutoSandbox Test Tool
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
And to also verify if sandbox is in fact sandboxing :P It'll do the job as i've written a guide in our language on how to read and use this tool. It would be nice though if avast! had some sort of automated self-diagnostics that would be triggered in certain intervals to make sure that everything is really working as it should.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2011, 11:01:46 PM »
Before this thread was begun, I copied the program PureRa onto a flash drive. I double clicked it and up came AutoSandbox.

Love it!
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2011, 11:31:01 PM »
The one and only purpose of the tool was to trigger the AutoSandbox prompt.

Yes, a little bit like an eicar test file for the auto-sandbox ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dieselman

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2011, 11:34:53 PM »

But if the sandbox is working the registry string should not be there when we click modify.

Hermite15

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2011, 11:39:44 PM »

But if the sandbox is working the registry string should not be there when we click modify.

and guess what it's not, at least on my system...

Dieselman

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2011, 11:47:54 PM »
There were others that claimed it did. I will run the tool tonight.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2011, 12:24:07 AM »

It wasn't created on my system either.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2011, 01:19:44 AM »

It wasn't created on my system either.
+1

With UAC disabled, C:\autosandboxtest.txt is also created when I choose "Open normally".
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:38:47 AM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2011, 01:20:55 AM »
Can you be more specific, please?
What exactly was the path you started it from? What operating system?

Auto-sandbox doesn't trigger when I run the "AutoSandbox Test Tool" on my Desktop. (桌面; desktop in Chinese)
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\桌面\autosandboxme.exe

But it works fine at C:\autosandboxme.exe

Windows XP SP3

What if you create the folder C:\桌面 (or something similar) and try to start it from there?
I mean, is it really because of the special characters, or is it rather the desktop itself, its name being actually unrelated?
Thanks.

GrandPrixGXP

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2011, 02:11:51 AM »
Works for me. A very good testing tool to prove that the sandbox does not allow a system change. I looked in C:............nothing. I looked in the registry nothing. All this after clicking modify. So proof that it work. Nice job Avast team.

shek

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2011, 03:14:57 AM »

Auto-sandbox doesn't trigger when I run the "AutoSandbox Test Tool" on my Desktop. (桌面; desktop in Chinese)

Windows XP SP3

What if you create the folder C:\桌面 (or something similar) and try to start it from there?
I mean, is it really because of the special characters, or is it rather the desktop itself, its name being actually unrelated?
Thanks.

The autosandbox works fine in my computer, win7HP 64 bit sp1, no matter the path containing Chinese characters or not. I even changed the test file name to Chinese, auto sandbox window still pops up.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2011, 07:12:33 AM »
There were others that claimed it did. I will run the tool tonight.

You refer to my post?

I did not claim that: I wrote the file was not created, the Reg key was when run normally was chosen.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2011, 07:17:46 AM »
OK, I'll repeat it once again ;)
This is an internal tool that wasn't really meant for public (which doesn't mean it's any secret, just that it was build rather quickly, without any attempts to make it bulletproof or user friendly). You asked for it, so you got it... but there wasn't any additional time spent on that.

Its main purpose was to trigger the autosandbox pop-up, that's all - nobody actually used to it verify sandbox functionality (OK, maybe once, but that's really all). Red-framed window --> OK, no red frame --> something's wrong.

And even though I didn't write it myself, I certainly wouldn't notice the problem with C: drive - as disabling UAC is the first thing I do on my computers, I really can't live with that.

Igor,
don't get angry at me.  ;D

This little tool is handy just to quick-test the AutoSB. I did not know the fact that UAC prevents the writing of the file, that's what confused me.

As to the disabling of UAC - isn't that something that increases your security? I'm using Win 7, and it is set to low (or whatever the setting is called...) and I don't find it too disturbing.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

kyokodash2

« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2011, 08:00:24 AM »

Windows XP SP3

Thanks.

shek,
Oops! My mistake, you are right. Thanks. It's no matter the path containing Chinese characters or not.

igor,
The issue that avast! Auto-sandbox doesn't trigger on my Desktop  is caused by the software "Fences".
Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:02:38 AM by kyokodash2 »

ahak20042005

« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »
Great tools
it work.
if we run it in AutoSB no change will happen.
runnig in normally mode then Behavior shield alert about registry change and stop him but file in C:\ will copy.