Author Topic: AutoSandbox Test Tool  (Read 153118 times)

Forest61

Re: AutoSandbox Test Tool
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2011, 11:10:45 AM »
Yep, this works great! Thanks, Vlk and AVAST team! I think this is a great addition to the program.

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2011, 02:08:14 PM »
I downloaded this, ran it in sanbox, checked the C: location found nothing, however in my registry I found an entry saying if I see this the sandbox failed.

Does that mean I did something wrong?  I haven't changed any settings for the autosandbox and I enabled it.

rambo1940

« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2011, 02:45:20 PM »
Isn't it amazing.
Whenever you need a serious question answered you can't see a dev for miles.
And also you can't even an answer for the ticket you have written to the support dept.
No matter what you think of Zone Alarm and Comodo at least they replied to your questions.
I take a very dim view of the service from Avast.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:34:41 PM by rambo1940 »

Hermite15

« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »
Isn't it amazing.
Whenever you need a serious question answered you can't see a dev for miles.
And also you can't even an answer for the ticket you have written to the support dept
They will take you money but the backup is dreadful.
No matter what you think of Zone Alarm and Comodo at least they replied to your questions.
I take a very dim view of the service from Avast.

I wouldn't use that tone about the Avast team but I got to admit that there's actually almost no Avast presence on the forums when there's no beta testing.

rambo1940

« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »
I did get a reply from the Support Dept
It said make sure Auto Sandbox is enabled which it is by default.
lets see if anybody comes up with an answer which works.
To my mind Auto Sandbox and WebRep are just not working
Regards

jafTwo

« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2011, 11:51:11 PM »
This is kind of conflicting information.  The first post in this thread mentions it should work on all operating systems, but I was told to disable autosandbox if I'm running winXP x64.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2011, 12:18:07 AM »
Well that was because that generally it does work on all supported OSes, like it works with win7 64bit. But for some unforeseen reason it doesn't appear to work with XP Pro 64bit, now I don't know the reason for this. But I have a suspicion as the XP Pro 64bit version is based on the windows 2003 server version and I think that it is this being based on a server OS version where the problem may be.

Not to mention that the user base of XP Pro 64bit must be very small, so it may not have been found during alpha, beta and pre-release versions of avast6 with the autosandbox feature. So it appears that it is only since the introduction of this test file which has brought this to light.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2011, 02:10:48 AM »
That the Avast! Sandbox, and so also the AutoSandbox, is not compatible with Win XP 64 ( neither is Sandboxie ) is not unforseen, but has to do with the architecture of Win XP 64. Petr Kurtin ( Avast! Sandbox Developer ) once explained it to me, and I beleve he did also here on the forum, but I can't dig it up right now :-[

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:17:03 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2011, 12:52:17 AM »
Yes, I found the email from Petr in which he told me that the sandbox (= autosandbox, sandbox, safezone) isn’t supported on WinXP 64-bit. But I can't find the technical explanation he gave me and/or on the forum, and that really irritates me >:(

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

MAG

« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2011, 08:10:50 PM »
Tried it on my w7 64 bit system, and it worked fine.

Interestingly (though perhaps not to many in this forum) avast autosandbox got in before D+.

D+ didn't kick-in until the attempt to modify the registry.

happy avast user

« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2011, 11:00:14 AM »
Hi all,

Please could anyone let me know how I could check and see if AutoSandbox test tool is running in my Registry thank you in advance.

happy avast user. :)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2011, 11:03:44 AM »
You can not see if the test-tool is running in your registry, because the test-tool does not register.

The tool only runs if you start it - and then you know that it is running.

I do not get the deeper meaning of your question maybe..?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

happy avast user

« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2011, 11:08:54 AM »
Ok Thank you very much for your reply to my question, I really appreciate it :)

MAG

« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2011, 01:45:48 PM »
Tried it on my w7 64 bit system, and it worked fine.

Interestingly (though perhaps not to many in this forum) avast autosandbox got in before D+.

D+ didn't kick-in until the attempt to modify the registry (when I clicked the Modify System button in the red border box).

OK, so now I ran the test on my xp machine.

The autosandbox kicked in as expected, the box with Modify System came up in a red border when I accepted the Recommendation.

This time though, when I clicked Modify System, D+ didn't kick in to warn of an attempt to modify registry.

I am a bit confused (not uncommon) by the difference betweeen the W7 and xp system responses, but I wonder if the autosandbox on my W7 64bit machine is a bit leaky, whereas on xp it is watertight?

(otherwise why should D+ see an attempt to modify registry by a program that is running in a sandbox?)

Any thoughts?

Edit:
I set D+ to allow, and no system change was actually made (no text file added to C and no registry entry).

So, whilst I am still not quite sure what was going on with D+, the autosandbox seems to work fine!

Further Edit:
Looking a bit more closely I see that D+ was actually alerting on the attempt to modify the sandbox registry entry aswSnx privatestorage, not the entry that the tool asked us to check.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:07:07 PM by mag »

MAG

« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2011, 03:24:40 PM »
Hi all,

Please could anyone let me know how I could check and see if AutoSandbox test tool is running in my Registry thank you in advance.

happy avast user. :)
Did you want to look at the registry to see if it has been modified?

If so (being very careful not to modify anything) you could open regedit and look under HK current user to the entry  advised by the tool (I've just shut it down, but I think it was software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run)