Author Topic: SMTP Protocol  (Read 3120 times)

slinkyjib

SMTP Protocol
« on: October 04, 2004, 10:56:36 AM »
I have recently set-up my pc for remote desktop.

Now whenever I start windows, I get an error message,

"SMTP protocol error, avast may not be able to scan outbound mail. Error port 25 is in use please choose another port."

I have no idea, what SMTP is, what port 25 is doing.

I have two firewalls, running though they are set very sweetly with no conflicts (both mcafee).

Any help with this error, appreciated.

arnous

Re:SMTP Protocol
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 12:28:38 PM »
SMTP is the protocol used to send emails. it use the port 25 to do it. may be the problem is that the remote desktop use this port. i say may be....

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 12:46:04 PM »
SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is a TCP/IP protocol used in sending and receiving e-mail. However, since it is limited in its ability to queue messages at the receiving end, it is usually used with one of two other protocols, POP3 or IMAP, that let the user save messages in a server mailbox and download them periodically from the server. In other words, users typically use a program that uses SMTP for sending e-mail and either POP3 or IMAP for receiving e-mail. On Unix-based systems, sendmail is the most widely-used SMTP server for e-mail. A commercial package, Sendmail, includes a POP3 server. Microsoft Exchange includes an SMTP server and can also be set up to include POP3 support.

SMTP usually is implemented to operate over Internet port 25. An alternative to SMTP that is widely used in Europe is X.400. Many mail servers now support Extended Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (ESMTP), which allows multimedia files to be delivered as e-mail.

Set your remote desktop connection (or email) to use another port and the problem will be solved.

slinkyjib

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 01:08:29 PM »
ok, i will try changing the port, for the remote desktop. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 03:14:44 PM »
I have two firewalls, running though they are set very sweetly with no conflicts (both mcafee).

Are you really talking about firewalls or one of the applications is an antivirus?
Is one of the firewall the Windows SP2 build-in firewall?

If you have two active firewalls you will have trouble...  ::)
The best things in life are free.