Author Topic: Sandbox / SafeZone - feature requests  (Read 219313 times)

Dch48

Re: Sandbox / SafeZone - feature requests
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2012, 05:35:17 AM »
That is not what the gadget looks like. That looks like the system tray icon. The gadget is much bigger and is displayed on the right side of your screen at or near the top. If you don't see anything like that, then you don't have it and don't need to worry.

YoKenny

« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2012, 03:42:35 PM »
thats part of Avast! in the notification tray not the gadget.

gadget is as in the screenshot
That's what my gadget looks like on my Windows 7 system.
I choose to have it down at the lower right of my screen.

gubat

« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »
Hi,

Sandbox in avast 6 would recommend that I open certain programs in sandbox, I would and the program would run. After I updated to avast 7 the same programs would be recommended to be opened in sandbox but won't run anymore.

My quick fix was to add the program to the exclusion list however I now don't enjoy the security that if some problem comes up I don't have the protection anymore.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks and regards,

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2012, 05:23:29 PM »
at gubat: in Avast! 7, the autosandbox is made purely for analysis purposes by Avast to try to determine if the unknown programme is malicious or not. after a few seconds, it will be terminated (it does not matter if u set autosandbox to ask/auto decide). in other words, it is not intended to allow the user to run the unknown programme for their own personal judgement as previously in Avast! 6. the only way to allow the programme to run is as what u have done, exclude them.

if u want back the Avast! 6 autosandbox, the best shot is just stating ur voice here.

however note that the road map for the autosandbox is to make it more invisible to the user (i.e. next update will remove the ask function of autosandbox, leaving it with only the options of opening in sandbox and opening normally (also known as adding to exclusions)

Gloops

« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2012, 05:46:02 PM »
the only way to allow the programme to run is as what u have done, exclude them.

Well, I did that, and it was ignored.
In fact, deactivating the functionality was also ignored. It seems we need much clarity about the procedure, whether you need to restart Windows, if restarting once is enough (I felt twice was needed, but my attention was not very acute).
The day after, Windows had been restarted and I was not worried any more about Auto Sandbox.
I presume the point is the same about excluding an application ?

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »
at Gloops: hmm how have u added the programme to exclusion for autosandbox? if it is through the blue popup (i.e. open normally), there is a known odd bug that the exclusion will be ignored if and only if u have the Avast! 7 gadget visible on ur desktop.

to exclude properly, please close the gadget on the desktop, remove all faulty exclusions in the autosandbox within Avast! gui and try again

alternatively, directly go to Avast! gui, add manually to exclusions in autosandbox
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:21:14 PM by AntiVirusASeT »

Gloops

« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »
Well, no, I do not have the gadget on the screen, but I did not test yet what Dch told about the path exclusion list that must be cleared of the interested lines.
This being said, the full deactivation of the auto-sandbox functionality only took effect after a while (and some restart), I presume this is not due to the same bug ?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »
@Gloops: today's new avast7 released beta (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94790.0) uses the same ASK mode behavior for autosandbox as in version 6. If some apps can't be excluded from autosandbox, please contact me directly and i'm sure we'll solve it. Thanks.

queue

« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
i am a new user.....please can anyone of u help me?
whenever i download anything it starts in a sandboxed in avast internet security....but when i search that data in the downloaded path the data is not visible....how to recover that?
i downloaded a document and the downloaded path is c:\user\abc\download\document\abc.pdf
but when i open the path that document is not present over there...so how to recover that?

testuser50

« Reply #189 on: March 04, 2012, 01:47:21 AM »
Some changes that would improve Avast SafeZone would be to update the browser to Chromium 17.  The version it is using now is still 9 and there have been many security updates since that time.

Also, all plugins should be disabled by default, as they are a major security vulnerably.  At the "about:plugins" page, there are many plugins enabled and their security could not be trusted.  Flash should be disabled by default and the user should be given a choice if he/she needs to use Flash for a specific banking site.  The Flash version included within SafeZone is also outdated, causing further security issues.  The Flash version included is "10.2.154.12" and the current version is "11.1.102.62".

Google Gears and Google Update are included as part of the SafeZone browser and it would be safer to include less unnecessary software.  Especially as they are developed by Google, an advertising company.  Settings should be made more secure by default.  For example, "Block third party cookies", "Never offer to remember passwords", and "Don't allow tracking of my location" should be enabled automatically.

I question how secure SafeZone is because what happens if a malicious plugin is already installed on a user computer.  It is enabled by default in SafeZone and can cause as much damage.  Also, SafeZone is not really isolated from the rest of your computer because you are are able to import data from other web browsers.

These changes would allow users to be more secure while using SafeZone.

UserA789

« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
Hi guys,

I have written a few pages with new features/bug fixes to avast 7, but I definitely missed some of them - or rather I would like to hear what your requests are. Do you miss a certain feature or do you have an idea how to improve usability? Please tell me about it - now it's the right time. If technically possible I can build the feature for you!

Thank you.
I had to uninstall Avast recently and also used, in safe mode, the aswclear file.  However, Avast left something in the root of "C:"; a directory called 'Avast! Sandbox' with several other directories inside that and a file 'rescache.hit' that CANNOT be deleted.  Ther wer some other files in the end directory of the $user$ directory that all had 'security page' in the title and "[1]" at the end of all of them as though they were a second generation, but could not see any first gens of the file (I have 'Show hidden files' enabled as well).

Rick B

« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2012, 07:04:17 PM »
Under the Sandbox > Expert settings > Web browsers > Exclusions section, it says: "Use the check-boxes below to specify browser options that should be virtualized when running your web browser in the sandbox”.

From what I understand, items that are checked are excluded from the Sandbox therefore the text should read: "Use the check-boxes below to specify browser options that should not be virtualized when running your web browser in the sandbox”.

Saying it like that would also be consistent with the help file and therefore less confusing.

Rick B

« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »
Hi PK,
How about this as an option (No negative words):
"Use the check-boxes below to specify browser options that should be excluded from being virtualized when running your web browser in the sandbox."

Dch48

« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2012, 12:42:27 AM »
I chose not to install the browser protection thinking that was only the plugins. Now I don't even have the option in the GUI to run the browsers sandboxed. When I right click on my Chrome shortcut, there is the option to run in the sandbox but no such option shows for IE.

Offline 790

« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2012, 09:22:15 PM »
Avast changes master_preferentses file after each update. The page ***.avast.сom is starting in SafeZone Browser. I do not need the Avast site !! I DO NOT NEED THE AWAST NEWS !  I want MY home page in SafeZone Browser always.

Also, SafeZone does not save my settings, e.g. download path, disabling dictionaries and translation...
Win10 64 Pro, APS 21.11.2500