Author Topic: Sandbox / SafeZone - feature requests  (Read 219298 times)

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Sandbox / SafeZone - feature requests
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:25:47 PM »
Hi guys,

I have written a few pages with new features/bug fixes to avast 7, but I definitely missed some of them - or rather I would like to hear what your requests are. Do you miss a certain feature or do you have an idea how to improve usability? Please tell me about it - now it's the right time. If technically possible I can build the feature for you!

Thank you.

Hermite15

Re: Sandbox / SafeZone - feature requests
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »
nice initiative ;) main thing for me but I mentioned it before is a password manager, obviously not depending on Chromium's one as first it's not good, and second due to nature of the safe zone you may lose the data easily.

So either that or access, as an option, to an external program, which in this case would be my password manager of course.
 Oh yeah... another solution would have been to make an exception as far as extensions go, just for LastPass, but I don't think you can do that + it's not a majority of people using lastpass so...

last but not least: choice of the DNS server, manually, as an option ;)

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 05:36:35 PM »
nice initiative ;) main thing for me but I mentioned it before is a password manager, obviously not depending on Chromium's one as first it's not good, and second due to nature of the safe zone you may lose the data easily.

So either that or access, as an option, to an external program, which in this case would be my password manager of course.
 Oh yeah... another solution would have been to make an exception as far as extensions go, just for LastPass, but I don't think you can do that + it's not a majority of people using lastpass so...

i think it would be great if lastpass could be included in the browser, or to have a way to be able to install it ourselves. ive come to rely on it so its made safezone really an almost useless feature for me without it. :(
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

jimmycbf

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:19:11 PM »
When I use SafeZone in my Bank's transactions I can not download any document from the Bank's page to my desktop. It's normal as this is a separate and secure zone. It would be possible make a way or system to get it?.

Regards.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »
Hey Petr :)

- Like Logos I would like to have password manager in SafeZone ( But maybe that is already covered with upcomming Avast! partner products ??? ) And someone suggested also a calculator would be handy for financial transactions.

- For the Sandbox I would like to have the option to sandbox a folder, so that everything executed in it is automatically sandboxed.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »
Move "Switch back" button to the "start" menu of the SafeZone where the "Turn off" function is already placed. That would make it more similar to the Windows start menu which users are well used to. That green arrow on the completely other end is not exactly the most obvious choice and might just confuse users. I'm an expert user and i just can't get used to it being placed there on the right.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »
I don't know if it works for others but it doesn't for me.

Since Chromium in Safe Zone can open multiple "Windows" I would like to see the Safe Zone desktop appear on both monitors on a computer when you are using two monitors on a computer in "Extended Mode".

This would allow users to open one Chromium window on one monitor and a second Chromium window on the other monitor by dragging the second Window to the second monitor.

I would also like to see Firefox added as a Safe Zone browser option to Chromium.

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »
I would also like to see Firefox added as a Safe Zone browser option to Chromium.
Chromium is the browser used by Safe Zone and I like it.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:26:20 PM »
Firefox license would make it rather hard to include it in a "secured" form.
And using an external browser (the one you already have installed on your computer in the "usual way") - would certainly be less secure.

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »
yeah, Chromium is definitely the solution to retain, starting with the simple interface as the main reason...

Nesivos

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 03:04:09 AM »
Chrome products are very good but their company policies across the spectrum are.................. :-X :-X

For me it comes down to an existential question and one views the world.

That is all I am going say on it :)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:07:02 AM by Nesivos »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 03:55:00 AM »
What company ?
Chrome is the google browser and has nothing to do with the Chromium open source browser code (other than it too uses it as a base), which can be customized by avast to make it more suited for use inside the safe zone. So chromium being open source shouldn't suffer from your implied google company policies.

So I suggest you read Igor's comment again as other browsers inside the safezone would probably require a license or not permitted at all.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 07:02:12 AM »
I'd say Chromium and Firefox are both allowed since they are open source. Safari, IE or Opera, that's an another thing...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Nesivos

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 07:51:44 AM »
I don't know whether this flaw discovered by MSFT in Chrome would also be in Chromium but here it is anyway.

Microsoft’s new vulnerability disclosure policy kicks off with two Chrome flaws

The Microsoft Vulnerability Research (MSVR) program launched on Tuesday with two Google Chrome vulnerabilities. Microsoft has a mixed history with Google over responsible vulnerability disclosure. Microsoft issued a Security Advisory in June last year, warning of an unpatched vulnerability in the Windows Help and Support Center function in Windows XP. Google’s senior security researcher, Tavis Ormandy, notified Microsoft about the flaw at the beginning of June. Days later Ormandy published proof of concept code, saying “without a working exploit, I would have been ignored.” The working exploit saw attacks increase rapidly and Microsoft claimed the Google workers move put customers at risk.

Microsoft’s new MSVR program chose to highlight two Google Chrome vulnerabilities to kick start the program. Microsoft has made it clear that the company has spoken to Google officials before disclosing the flaws publicly. Network World reports that Google has already fixed the bugs that Microsoft is disclosing. A Google spokesperson told Network World that ”these issues are actually quite old” and were covered in Google announcements in September and December.

The first flaw (MSVR11-001) could allow sandboxed remote code execution inside Google Chrome according to Microsoft. ”A sandboxed remote code execution vulnerability exists in the way that Google Chrome attempts to reference memory that has been freed,” Microsoft said. “An attacker could exploit the vulnerability to cause the browser to become unresponsive and/or exit unexpectedly, allowing an attacker to run arbitrary code within the Google Chrome Sandbox. The Google Chrome Sandbox is read and write isolated from the local file system which limits an attacker.”

http://www.winrumors.com/microsofts-new-vulnerability-disclosure-policy-kicks-off-with-two-chrome-flaws/

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »
I'd say Chromium and Firefox are both allowed since they are open source. Safari, IE or Opera, that's an another thing...

You wish... the particular license is rather important. Some of the open source licenses would basically force us to turn avast! into open-source as well if we included any piece of the source code.
OK, MPL is not that bad... but we'd still have to release the modified source code, which is additional stuff to deal with, and possibly unwanted.