Author Topic: How can I temporatily disable Avast?  (Read 3703 times)

zephyrs

How can I temporatily disable Avast?
« on: October 04, 2004, 07:42:52 PM »
Hi!   I have Avast Professional Antivirus on my computer.   At this time, I am needing to temporarily disable my Avast anti-virus, prior to downloading my scanner as that is what the download directions say to do.     Please explain to me how to temporarily disable Avast Professional.    Thanks.
           Debby

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:How can I temporatily disable Avast?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 07:59:47 PM »
What scanner do you mean? You mean the drivers for your scanner? If so there is no need to disable Avast. But if you really have to disable Avast (not likely) you can just right click the blue ball with the "A" and choose "stop on-access"

To enable it again click on the "on access guard" and when it has opened, choose start (begin)

I sure would recommend to download/install with Avast enabled.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 08:10:53 PM by Eddy »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:How can I temporatily disable Avast?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 08:02:59 PM »
Right click on the avast icon on the system tray, there are several options, Pause Provider (select Standard Shield), Stop Provider (select Standard Shield, use if pause not sufficient) or Stop On-access Protection and Exit (it stops all providers, but doesn't exit completely, if it did your email wouldn't work until you restart).

When you have done what you need to reverse the process, Resume Provider,  etc.

Although the download instructions state that (most will still download), I hate the idea of being unprotected for even a short time on the internet.

Is this to download an on-line anti-virus scanner? As it isn't advisable to have two resident scanners running at the same time, the Pause Provider would probably be best.

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security