Author Topic: VBS Malware [script] FALSE alARAM by AVast?  (Read 4154 times)

sinashgh

VBS Malware [script] FALSE alARAM by AVast?
« on: July 25, 2003, 04:32:43 AM »
ok to any of the mods or someone who can help me plz.. i've been playing my CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER game all day! and everything is great.. then i go on internet to check some WRESTLING News.. and all of a sudden RESIDENT PROTECTION says it found a virus named:

VBS Malware [script] in my TEMPORARY INTERNET FILEs folder?? now what should i do? i looked at it in the Virus definitions in TREND MICRO and it said it was very dangerous.. but when i checked system with HOUSECALL (Their free online scan) nothing was found!!

Is this another false alarm by Avast.. and i shouldnt worryy bout it or no?? because about 2 weeks ago i had the same problem with 2 other viruses and got into lots of trouble for DOING something.. and NOT JUST IGNORING IT??

So can nebody help?

Offline Michal Zrůbecký

• Avast team
    • avast! software
Re:VBS Malware [script] FALSE alARAM by AVast?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 09:39:48 AM »
1) You can set avast! to exclude that file(s) from scanning (MENU -> SETTINGS -> EXCLUSION)

2) Send that files to Mr. Divis (divis@asw.cz. He´s our "viral guru"  :D, he will analyse that files. Maybe it really is false positive - he´s the one who can say YES or NO.  ;)
avast! support team

whocares

Re:VBS Malware [script] FALSE alARAM by AVast?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 12:40:56 PM »
RESIDENT PROTECTION says it found a virus named:

VBS Malware [script] in my TEMPORARY INTERNET FILEs folder??

(Malware) files in T.I.F. = IE-Browser-Cache can mostly be deleted safely, except if you want to send them in for analzing to avast.

when i checked system with HOUSECALL (Their free online scan) nothing was found!!

did you maybe tell avast resident shield to delete/move/quarantine the file?
Then of course TrendScan can't find anything afterwards

because about 2 weeks ago i had the same problem with 2 other viruses and got into lots of trouble for DOING something.. and NOT JUST IGNORING IT??

It's generally advisable to first get information about a virus on the system before deleting/moving it.
'Cause indeed sometimes there have to be made some system modifications/repairs
(manually or with special AV-Tools; see e.g. Avast-Cleaner: http://www.avast.com/i_idt_171.html)
before repairing/deleting malware files; especially if the virus is already active and not just slumbering on the system, like in T.I.F./Temp/Download-folders ;)