Author Topic: Behavior of avast  (Read 3153 times)

vecchio

Behavior of avast
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
I would like to ask which is the avast behaviour if i set all db and own   program updates to automatic
I think it should be showing an allert ask to reboot but i vant see it
I only know about new versions if i do a program update or i click in the details in the main GUI interface
I think there is something wrong

SafeSurf

Re: Behavior of avast
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 02:14:22 AM »
Are you referring to Avast Behavior Shield (BS)?  In the newer versions, you will initially get a pop-up asking you about new programs since the BS will not recognize the program and ask you about it, but once you click on it, it will not ask you again.

If I misunderstood you, could you please explain?  Thank you.

vecchio

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 05:05:50 AM »
Are you referring to Avast Behavior Shield (BS)?  In the newer versions, you will initially get a pop-up asking you about new programs since the BS will not recognize the program and ask you about it, but once you click on it, it will not ask you again.

If I misunderstood you, could you please explain?  Thank you.
No, sory i am talking about the program update set to automatic,once you have new program version wich is the avast behavior?which is the message you will see after the proces?
Thank you
Sorry bad english

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:52:25 AM »
No, sory i am talking about the program update set to automatic,once you have new program version wich is the avast behavior?which is the message you will see after the proces?
If you have the GUI set up so that you get the Program Updated automatically, then you should get it, however these updates are done incrementally (not all at once) because the servers will get overloaded.  You can manually do it if you want it right away by going to Maintenance > Update Program.  Remember to reboot after the update.

Please let me know if I misunderstood again, or you have any additional questions.  I never said my English was the best either. 

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
You will see a pop up informing you that Avast has been updated to a new program version and that a reboot is necessary (if needed).
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »
The program updates are released but to avoid excessive load on the servers the auto update check happens randomically every 12 hours and it's not checking every time you connect to the Internet as with the virus definitions checks. The cycle is controlled by the servers and can be changed at any time. So no later than 12 hours after the update is released, everyone should get at least one popup. The order is machine-fixed (not random-generated for each update).

Avast Free AV checks for updates every 4 hours. Avast Pro AV and IS check every 1 hour. The program already knows that the update is there, but it won't tell you until it's your turn. You have to allow the update, i.e., it's not a forced and automatic update.

They also use 3rd party servers for updates distribution, combined with their huge network of standalone servers, to distribute the content from geographically close locations.
The best things in life are free.

vecchio

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 04:23:34 AM »
If you have the GUI set up so that you get the Program Updated automatically, then you should get it, however these updates are done incrementally (not all at once) because the servers will get overloaded.  You can manually do it if you want it right away by going to Maintenance > Update Program.  Remember to reboot after the update.

Please let me know if I misunderstood again, or you have any additional questions.  I never said my English was the best either. 
Resolve doubt,thank all u

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Behavior of avast
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
You are welcome.  :)