Author Topic: How to remove WebRep?  (Read 23814 times)

cphine

How to remove WebRep?
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:52:57 PM »
I have a serious dislike for toolbars and as such do not want to have this new WebRep bar in my browser.
When I open Avast 6.0.1091, it says that the plugin is not installed, and there is an install link for it.
However, I very clearly have the toolbar running in my Internet Explorer 7!
It doesn't show up in the control panel as a program to be removed either.
I've recently suffered the Avast "every webpage has a virus" nightmare and it's taken several attempts at updating to finally get the latest version installed. It appears to be working fine now, I just don't want the toolbar!
Thanks in advance,
Christian

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: How to remove WebRep?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:09:53 PM »
Just right-click the toolbar in IE and uncheck "avast! WebRep"?

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

cphine

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:20:53 PM »
Unfortunately, right clicking the toolbar doesn't bring up a menu.
Also, the only thing on the toolbar is the three green lines.  Not sure if that's all that's supposed to be there.
~C

pcclean3453

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:23:38 PM »
Just right-click the toolbar in IE and uncheck "avast! WebRep"?

That's one way. You could just click on the "x" sign on avast! webrep or open avast! interface, go to Additional protection,click on webrep, and uninstall it from internet explorer. Simple. ;D Or you could click "tools", then click manage add-ons right click on avast! webrep, and disable it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:25:43 PM by pcclean3453 »

cphine

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 11:23:58 PM »
Ah, hold on...
If I right click on the regular explorer "toolbar" (where the open browser page tabs are) I now see what you are talking about.  The webrep toolbar is gone.
That leads to another question though... If the toolbar isn't installed, how is the option to show it or not available?  Is it installed or not?
Thanks

cphine

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 11:25:34 PM »
Pcclean3453,
As I mentioned, from within Avast, it shows the toolbar isn't installed...therefore it can't be uninstalled. :)

pcclean3453

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 11:29:09 PM »
Cphine,

Is it enabled in avast!? ???

pcclean3453

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:31:05 PM »
Cphine,
I will contact our expert essexboy with this prob, ok?

pcclean3453

cphine

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 11:38:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
Within Avast, under "additional protection" and "WebRep", it shows under Internet Explorer "Plugin not installed".  There is then a blue link that says "install".
That leads me to believe that the toolbar is not installed.

Within my browser, right clicking on the main toolbar brings up a menu from which I can select to show or not the avast! webrep toolbar.  I have it unchecked so it does not show any longer.  This is good.

As I mentioned, just curious how if the program says it isn't installed, how is the option to show/hide the toolbar available?  Not a huge deal as at least I can choose not to show it and clutter up my screen, but I still prefer to have as little installed and running as possible.

I hope that makes better sense.  Thanks much.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:39:20 PM »
Right click the toolbar again and ensure that command bar is ticked
You will see some commands on the right of the toolbar
Select tools
Select manage addons
Select Web rep and then click disabled

Jack 1000

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 11:40:52 PM »
My understanding is that you can only uninstall Web Rep from Avast's GUI, or maybe from Windows Control Panel as well.  If you go to Manage Add-On's and Disable Web-Rep, Web-Rep becomes activated the next time the browser is restarted.

Unless that has changed with the latest Avast program version?

Jack

PS. Maybe Web-Rep could use it's own uninstall thingy if it doesn't work through the GUI or by going under Change in Add/Remove Programs and uninstalling Web-Rep with a specific plug in remover program.

BTW what is the program size of the current versions of Web Rep for IE, Firefox, and Chrome?

cphine

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 12:16:08 AM »
Essexboy,
Followed your instructions and disabled webrep.  There were two of them.
Now when I right click the main explorer toolbar, "avast! webrep" as a possible selection is greyed out and can not be checked.

This brings me back to my question though...

If webrep isn't installed according to Avast, why/how are there even options to disable it or show/hide it?  If it isn't installed, where is this coming from?  Is it possible to fully uninstall it?

Thanks

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »
I very clearly have the toolbar running in my Internet Explorer 7!
You should update to Internet Explorer 8 as that is current and the basis of all Windows functions.

Please read
Windows Explorer is a file manager application that is included with releases of the Microsoft Windows operating system from Windows 95 onwards. It provides a graphical user interface for accessing the file systems. It is also the component of the operating system that presents many user interface items on the monitor such as the taskbar and desktop. Controlling the computer is possible without Windows Explorer running (for example, the File | Run command in Task Manager on NT-derived versions of Windows will function without it, as will commands typed in a command prompt window). It is sometimes referred to as the Windows Shell, explorer.exe, or simply “Explorer”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer

pcclean3453

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »
For even more, Update to IE9.

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 12:44:12 AM »
For even more, Update to IE9.
You still say you have Internet Explorer 8 in your signature ???