Author Topic: General question about rootkits and paranoia  (Read 6487 times)

lucasbuck

General question about rootkits and paranoia
« on: April 21, 2011, 04:48:45 PM »
I recently ran a bad installer and got a warning of bpfull and allurion. I run avast, which picked it up, and so did windows security. It said it contained the deleted them. I then ran DrWebCureIt, it was clean. TDSSKiller, nothing found. Avast boot scan check was clean.
Back in the day, anytime anything popped up about a rootkit (or even a really bad virus) on my system, I would just spend a day, wipe the drive, and reinstall everything. I recently upgraded to Win 7 64bit, and really hate to go through that trouble. But I'm really paranoid about my work emails, credit card info, etc.
Nowadays, is it really worth the trouble of doing a clean install, or if windows and avast are coming up clean, am I safe? Just looking for some opinions (and cure for my paranoia). Thanks!

GrandPrixGXP

Re: General question about rootkits and paranoia
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
Since you are on a 64 bit OS getting a rootkit infections is slim to none. Can it happen..........Yes but rarely. Instead of being so paranoid just create a system image onto an external HDD. Windows 7 does this for you.

lucasbuck

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know 64 made a difference with that. What's the difference in terms of a rootkit?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 03:58:10 PM »
You can still get rootkits with a 64 bit system, but they are rare.  Even more so now that MS has put a block on TDL bootkits, however, give it time and they will get around that.  But notwithstanding a 64 bit 7 system is very secure as long as you do not do anything silly 

lareinatortura

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
Hi guys,

I can sympathize with lucasbuck.  I am also running windows 7, and my avast reported that my system had "Win32: KillAV-AHY [Rtk]."  I presume that "[Rtk]" is rootkit?  After completing a scan, I was prompted to move the two infected files to the "chest," and then run a boot time scan.  I did.  After moving the infected files to the "chest," I ran a scan during boot up and no infection was found.

I'm still scared.  I'm afraid to look at any remotely sensitive information.  :-[

I've been looking around the forums and I've come across a few threads with issues very similar to my own.  Some people think it is a false positive.  I want to know for sure that it is not anything malicious before I dismiss it as a false positive.

Any advice or help you guys could offer is greatly appreciated.

NerdrageXZ

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 05:07:06 PM »
File does not contain a virus when I scan it in the chest now, fixed in latest defenitions.

gentle4ug

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:39:56 PM »
I cured my paranoia with a good weekly system image and daily file back up plan.  This is accomplished using only Windows 7 tools.  When the disc is full, I just delete the old stuff and create a new backup.  When something nasty happens, just boot from your emergency recovery cd (made with windows tools), start the recovery, have a cold one and watch the game. Problem fixed.

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 06:11:37 PM »
MS has put a block on TDL bootkits, however, give it time and they will get around that.

they already beginning to get around that  ;D

http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/473/An_unlikely_couple_64_bit_rootkit_and_rogue_AV_for_MacOS

http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/11266/Rootkit_Banker_now_also_to_64_bit

>:(

Its not TDL but it will be...in time  :)

lareinatortura

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »
I cured my paranoia with a good weekly system image and daily file back up plan.  This is accomplished using only Windows 7 tools.  When the disc is full, I just delete the old stuff and create a new backup.  When something nasty happens, just boot from your emergency recovery cd (made with windows tools), start the recovery, have a cold one and watch the game. Problem fixed.

That sounds great.  I made a repair CD when I first got this machine; but, even when facing rootkits, you didn't have to re-format completely?

(I can't re-format windows 7--I don't have a copy--but I'm just asking).

gentle4ug

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 10:33:30 PM »
When you are restoring from a system image created before the infection happened, the infection should be gone from the affected hard drive.  I don't believe rootkits can survive the format and image install.  If I'm wrong, that would be a handy piece of information to have.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 03:03:32 AM »
When you are restoring from a system image created before the infection happened, the infection should be gone from the affected hard drive.  I don't believe rootkits can survive the format and image install.  If I'm wrong, that would be a handy piece of information to have.
MBR rootkits can survive. For instance: http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001393.html
The best things in life are free.

lareinatortura

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 03:40:38 PM »
MBR rootkits can survive. For instance: http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001393.html

So if you get an MBR rootkit, then you're screwed?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »

Seldom.
Usually there are ways to clean it.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

lareinatortura

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 05:58:52 PM »

Seldom.
Usually there are ways to clean it.

*Phew!*  Well, that's good to hear. But, ideally, I'd want to avoid getting it!  I guess that's my goal then. . Avoid MBR rootkit because "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," as a saying goes.   ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »
But, ideally, I'd want to avoid getting it!  I guess that's my goal then.

Use FF with NoScript.
This will block most intruders.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0