Author Topic: Avast Free AV and Mozilla Thunderbird  (Read 10479 times)

Traveler

Re: Avast Free AV and Mozilla Thunderbird
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 09:21:47 PM »
TB doesn't seem to like port setting 110.  Attached is the error window I get when I try to download emails with that setting on the Server Settings page.  It seems to make no difference whether I have an entry for yahoo.verizon.net in my Avast SSL list.

sded

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 12:02:32 AM »
I think this is confused enough here that it would help to have you post the images of your current settings again, since they don't seem to match the other pictures posted.    From what you have said:

Thunderbird settings should show
incoming.yahoo.verizon.net
port 110
Connection security none
authentication password transmitted insecurely

Avast! settings should show
yahoo.verizon.net   pop3   110    none

Is this correct currently?  This is simply an unencrypted pop3 email server?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 12:13:55 AM »
Thanks for jumping sded.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Traveler

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 12:18:05 AM »
These are current images.  They give me the error message I sent earlier.

sded

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 12:24:47 AM »
Under the ssl accounts in avast!, change the 3rd line to

yahoo.verizon.net    pop3   110     none

Traveler

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 02:36:36 AM »
Here's the current status.  I think I've done everything you have suggested.

sded

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 03:11:44 AM »
OK, that looks right based on the description of your mail server, but of course it doesn't pick up your mail.  So let's take Avast! out of the path.  The attachment shows how the settings/troubleshooting/redirect settings should look now.  If you remove the "110" so that line is blank, Avast! will not look at that port at all and you should be directly connected to your mail server if TB is configured correctly.

sded

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 03:17:07 AM »
BTW, I see we haven't asked some of the routine questions.  What firewall are you using?  What AV were you using before you downloaded avast?  How did you remove it?  Did your mail work OK with an earlier version of Avast!?

Traveler

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 03:39:37 AM »
My reply to your questions: I'm using ZoneAlarm firewall.  My previous AV was AVG Antivirus.  Removal was a problem.  After I ran the uninstall, some pieces were left on my computer.  AVG recommended a utility that I downloaded from their site that cleaned out the rest.  I have never had a previous version of Avast.

sded

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 03:46:15 AM »
Did AVG have you run one of the programs at http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools ?  IIRC, AVG also has a mail scanner which can sometimes interfere.  If not, or you don't remember, go ahead and run the appropriate removal tool.  There have also been some conflicts with ZA, but usually not the free version-is that what you are running?

Traveler

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 04:00:05 AM »
Yes, I tried the 32-bit remover, the first one on that AVG page, and nothing happened. The second one, 64-bit, did the trick.  Do suggest I run it again?  I don't think any AVG stuff is still running on my computer.
I'm running ZA Free Firewall.

sded

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 04:04:55 AM »
Go ahead and run it again and reboot.  Then try the removal of the "110" so we can get your mail working again with Avast! bypassed but still installed.  We may also need to uninstall Avast! with their tool at http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and reinstall that, but ???

sded

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 04:26:27 AM »
I see a lot of conflicting information on the net about how yahoo.verizon is supposed to work, both from Thunderbird and from Verizon.  So if bypassing Avast! and using port 110/none doesn't work there are other alternatives to try: 
1.  Change the TB settings to SSL/995
2.  Change the TB settings to TLS/995
Once you can successively connect with Avast! installed but bypassed, we can figure out how to insert it into the path.

Traveler

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 04:29:38 AM »
OK, I ran the AVG uninstall utility again, though I don't think anything happened.  I rebooted and removed 110 from the Avast page.  Now I am able to download messages to yahoo.verizon.net (for the first time in days).  So far, so good.  But I understand that Avast now isn't monitoring my email.  I think this answers your last message also. 

sded

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 04:37:27 AM »
Sounds good, even though we are back at the beginning.  :)  Now do 2 things:
1) remove the entry from the SSL accounts table for yahoo.verizon.net completely
2) add port 110 back to the redirect ports for Avast!
and we can see if avast! is smart enough to do the reconfiguration by itself.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:39:14 AM by sded »