Author Topic: Advice on Behavior Shield Expert Setting.  (Read 12516 times)

goldentequila

Advice on Behavior Shield Expert Setting.
« on: April 22, 2011, 12:06:41 AM »
Hi,

I have this program called Admuncher, which is absolutely the best ad blocker in my opinion. There's no way I'm abandoning this program for anything.

Unfortunately, Avast is interfering with its ability to block ads in IE9 64 bit browser. I isolated the problem to be "Behavior Shield." When I disable that feature, Admuncher blocks all ads in IE9 64 bit browser. As soon as I enable it, it doesn't work. For some odd reason, it doesn't interfere with 32 bit IE9.

There are advanced settings, and I'd like some input from people who may know how to modify the settings based on this report. The settings are:
- Monitor the system for low-level rootkits (check box)
- Monitor the system for Mal-ware like behaviors (check box)
- Monitor the system for Unauthorized modifications (check box)

Then, there's "Trusted process" page where I can add processes to not monitor. I already added the followings, but it didn't solve the problem.
- AdMunch.exe
- Admunch64.exe

Can someone please help me with this? I already asked the developer of Admuncher, and he said I should contact Avast to have them add his software on white list. Meanwhile, I'm hoping that I can work around it by changing the expert setting.

Thank you,

GT

GrandPrixGXP

Re: Advice on Behavior Shield Expert Setting.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:15:27 AM »
No need for Ad Muncher when every browser can block ads with a simple add on.

goldentequila

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:17:52 AM »
It seems that every forum is filled with people who make posts such as these. No offense, but that kind of post is not helpful at all. Please don't post if you don't anything helpful to say. People have their own preferences and reasons for using certain products. If there's an issue that needs troubleshoot, the answer is not "stop using it."

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 12:30:33 AM »
I already asked the developer of Admuncher, and he said I should contact Avast to have them add his software on white list.
There is no whitelist so this is not an option.

Changing any of those check boxes might work, but they are system-wide changes, so that is not ideal.

Have you tried switching the shield to "ask"?  Then (ideally) the shield should ask for the necessary process/s when they need to run, and enter them as trusted for you once you allow them.

goldentequila

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 12:34:25 AM »
Hi,

Yes, I changed that to "Ask," but Avast never asked me about anything since I made that change. Is that supposed to work on processes that Avast already decided on what to do? Or, is that going to just ask for new processes? Either way, it's not asking for anything...

GrandPrixGXP

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 12:42:29 AM »
There is no reason to run a seperate process when every modern day browser blocks ads. About 8 years ago Ad Muncher served a purpose but in 2011. Time to join the masses.

goldentequila

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 12:51:23 AM »
There is no reason to run a seperate process when every modern day browser blocks ads. About 8 years ago Ad Muncher served a purpose but in 2011. Time to join the masses.

Sigh~.... Seriously, I'm not sure what your intent is, but do you really think repeating your unhelpful comment is helpful? This is a help forum, not who's got bigger ego forum. You have your opinion and choices you made. That's all fine. I respect your choice. I'm only asking you to respect mine. I'm not gonna try to persuade you to start using Admuncher because that's none of my business. Conversely, it is not your business whatever I use. (not to mention, you really don't understand admuncher. It's not just a simple ad blocker. It does much more than those addons do. It can block ads in not only browsers but programs/softwares).

I'll say it one more time. If you don't have anything helpful to say, please do not bother posting.

GrandPrixGXP

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 12:54:58 AM »
I am being helpful. Trying to make you see the light. Uninstall Ad Muncher. Use Firefox with ad block plus and your problem is solved. Looh around this forum and many others. No one uses Ad Muncher anymore.

Gargamel360

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 12:56:39 AM »
Is that supposed to work on processes that Avast already decided on what to do? Or, is that going to just ask for new processes?
Eh, not sure about that one. :-\  With no IE or Admuncher experience, I will only be of limited help to you.  Just trying to get the ball rolling, so to speak, try the simple things first.

@GrandPrix, Do you have a Diesel engine by any chance?  Just wondering, I smelled Diesel fumes that seemed so familliar..............

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 01:00:25 AM »
I won't be trying it as it requires money!
Ad Muncher Premium daily updates $29.95 Ad Muncher Basic weekly updates $19.95

Much better to use a free HOSTS file:
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the connection(s) that supplies these little gems.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Plus it works for both IE9 64bit and IE9 32bit.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:04:28 AM by YoKenny »

GrandPrixGXP

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 01:02:40 AM »
Thanks Kenny. Pay to block ads. Funniest thing I heard all day.

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 01:06:51 AM »
Thanks Kenny. Pay to block ads. Funniest thing I heard all day.
Maybe now you can now go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 01:21:32 AM »
@ goldentequila
If it is the Behavior Shield blocking admuncher, and you have entered the two executables to the trusted processes and it still doesn't work. Perhaps it is another file, check the C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\BehaviorShield.txt (vista win7).

See if there are any entries for any admuncher associated executables, etc. copy and paste the full path into the trusted processes.

I'm not to familiar with admuncher either, but I though it worked by using a local proxy to filter out the ads ?
If so them that proxy port would need to be coordinated with the web shield redirections, avastUI, settings, trouble shooting, Redirect Settings, add the port to the end of the list, separate with a comma before entering the port number and uncheck Ignore local communication.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:31:02 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

goldentequila

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 02:02:23 AM »
What all does addmuncher do for $30??

The same thing that Ad Block Plus does for free.
For god's sake, please stop making irresponsible posts. Admuncher does so much more than adblocker. I've used several major well-known ad blocking softwares, so I know. Don't go around saying BS about things you don't even understand.

I asked the developer of the software to chime in here so that people will not be misled by ignorant fool like Grandprix. So, I hope he will make a post here to clarify things.

For the time being, I'll point out just one thing. If you are too cheap to pay for a quality software, that doesn't make the software bad. It just means you are too cheap. So, stop bashing a perfectly fine software.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 02:12:07 AM »
I smelled Diesel fumes that seemed so familliar..............

Snuff snuff ???

Yeah, I smell it too now ;D

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )