Author Topic: Application Octet stream  (Read 6081 times)

fisher01

Application Octet stream
« on: April 22, 2011, 02:33:47 AM »
After the latest Avast update, I am now unable to open most web pages. Get a pop up saying open octet stream.  If I turn off the webshield, all is ok and no pop up.  This is now happening on both my computers after the latest Avast update. Anyone else having this problem?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Application Octet stream
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 02:37:12 AM »
do you have a firewall ?

fisher01

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 02:43:30 AM »
I use Comodo, but this is not firewall related. It just started happening after the latest avast update.  I see another user posted today with the same problem.  Right now I have the web shield turned off and I can open any web page.  With the web shield on, alot of websites give me a message about opening Octet stream, including the Avast website.  Must be a bug in last update.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:56:35 AM »

fisher01

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 02:58:29 AM »
Figured out the problem.  The last update from Avast is not compatible with Firefox 3.6.16
I've updated Firefox to version 4.0 and all is well now.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 03:11:26 AM »
That is strange as there are still people using FF 3.6.16 and essentially the web shield won't have change in regard of the FF versions.

But it is good that you have it resolved and on the latest version of FF.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

alexz007

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 05:43:04 PM »
Hi everybody!
I have the same problem - my internet was cut off after updating of Avast 6.0.1091 from free to trial pro. Removing of Avast trial pro and reinstalling Avast free did not solve the issue. To remove Avast I used avast remover from this site.
My OS Win 7, firewall Comodo Internet security (with antivirus turned off), brousers Firefox 4.0 and IE 9.0. I've being used Comodo with Avast for very long time. This is the first trouble.
I can connect internet only if switch off Web shield in Avast.

I need urgent help!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 06:24:13 PM »
The last update from Avast is not compatible with Firefox 3.6.16

It is. See my sig. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

alexz007

after update to pro trial Avast blocked internet traffic
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 04:06:34 PM »
Hi everybody!
I have the same problem - my internet was cut off after updating of Avast 6.0.1091 from free to trial pro. Removing of Avast trial pro and reinstalling Avast free did not solve the issue. To remove Avast I used avast remover from this site.
My OS Win 7, firewall Comodo Internet security (with antivirus turned off), brousers Firefox 4.0 and IE 9.0. I've being used Comodo with Avast for very long time. This is the first trouble.
I can connect internet only if switch off Web shield in Avast.

I need urgent help!

Mentioned bellow replay from Avast support team solved the problem:

"If you have this kind of problem and turning avast! off helps, it means that one part of avast!,
the Web Shield, doesn't have access to the Internet. The solution  allow the Web Shield to
connect to Internet in your firewall.

You can remove the existing rules for avast in your firewall, then start an avast update (or
restart Windows to trigger an auto-update check). When the firewall asks, allow avast setup access
to the internet and create the rule again. If your firewall has an option that allows regular
program changes, then select this too.

To operate correctly the Web Shield process (AvastSVC.exe) needs a permission to access the
Internet (TCP port 80) and permission to act as a server and accept incoming connections from
localhost (the local machine) on TCP port 12080.

If this will not held you should disable or uninstall Comodo."

So I removed rule for Avast in Comodo Internet Security, switched on web shield in Avast and than created new rule for Avast in Comodo. Now all OK! :D