Author Topic: ? about registering and PDF files  (Read 3085 times)

kevbeck

? about registering and PDF files
« on: April 22, 2011, 07:17:31 AM »
I just installed free version of avast 5.0 (orange)and i dont recall having to register for a license key but it reads under the registration tab on the avast UI that im registered until 2012. I was just wanting to know if this is normal because i thought that users are suppose to register for a license key because the initial install is like a 30-day trial. Or am i wrong? Also why does it redirect the user to the CNET website when clicking on download through the avast website for the free version? I dont like that! And my other question was, Does avast scan pdf files when you're browsing online? like on firefox when you click on a link that is a pdf file, it opens the pdf in the browser. Does Avast 5.0 actively scan that for potentially malicious threats?

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
Re: ? about registering and PDF files
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 07:37:36 AM »
The answer to all your questions is YES    ;D ;D ;D ;D

But it would be better to download the latest version. click below link

Direct download links:

Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:39:12 AM by Ashish Singh »
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:44:54 AM »
I just installed free version of avast 5.0 (orange)and i dont recall having to register for a license key but it reads under the registration tab on the avast UI that im registered until 2012. I was just wanting to know if this is normal because i thought that users are suppose to register for a license key because the initial install is like a 30-day trial. Or am i wrong?

Were you using avast before? If yes, which version?

Also why does it redirect the user to the CNET website when clicking on download through the avast website for the free version? I dont like that!

So as to decrease the load on avast servers.

And my other question was, Does avast scan pdf files when you're browsing online? like on firefox when you click on a link that is a pdf file, it opens the pdf in the browser. Does Avast 5.0 actively scan that for potentially malicious threats?

Yes, it will.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:04:13 AM »
I just installed free version of avast 5.0 (orange)and i dont recall having to register for a license key but it reads under the registration tab on the avast UI that im registered until 2012. I was just wanting to know if this is normal because i thought that users are suppose to register for a license key because the initial install is like a 30-day trial. Or am i wrong?

Its totally free but you have to renew your registration every year.

Also like Ashish said please consider updating to the new version or download it from the link he gave. It has some new features + lots of improvements :)

Direct download link:

Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe

Its always essential to keep all your software up-to-date, especially security software..
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:06:43 AM by DraKuL »
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

kevbeck

Re: about the new version
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »
Since I just downloaded free Avast yesterday , wouldnt it automatically install the newest version and then auto run  an update check ? If not, where in the Avast UI do I check for updates .? I may have called it ver 5.0 on my previous post, not sure if that is the latest edition though. BTW your responses are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 09:28:43 AM »
in the GUI,  Maintenance >> Update Program
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)