Author Topic: Avast 6.0.1091 Cuts my internet speed in half with Web Shield On  (Read 20099 times)

RB123

When I installed 6.0.1091 on my other laptop with 512mb, Win XP Pro, Intel Pent 3, 698mhz, My internet speed goes from my 18.0 to 8 to 9.0 When I disabled the 'Web Shield' my speed went up to 18.0

1. What could be the problem.

2. Can I use Avast with 'Web Shield' off?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
Re: Avast 6.0.1091 Cuts my internet speed in half with Web Shield On
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:43:38 AM »
first thing you have not mentioned avast version in your signature.

2nd-----> It is not advisable to turn off web shield as it eliminates all web threats before your browser even sees them. So its a very important part
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 09:24:52 AM »
Important question to ask is how are you coming to this conclusion of your original bandwidth speed and the subsequent decrease?

RB123

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 09:30:34 AM »
Important question to ask is how are you coming to this conclusion of your original bandwidth speed and the subsequent decrease?

I went to a speedtest site. When I have 'Web Shield' enabled, my internet speed gets cut in half. I have done multiple tests. When I disable 'Web Shield' my speed goes back to normal.

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 09:34:20 AM »
I went to a speedtest site. When I have 'Web Shield' enabled, my internet speed gets cut in half. I have done multiple tests. When I disable 'Web Shield' my speed goes back to normal.
Ok, thats been talked about here before, and was stated that Avast! is more likely fudging the accuracy of the speed test itself than slowing down your bandwidth.  Recommendation for a more accurate result was downloading a large (and safe) file with WebShield on, then try the same DL with WebShield off.

Raveen Kool

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »
Yeah sometimes, the speed goes down. If u have any other secondary antimalware utility running in background..... Check if u r running only avast....

RB123

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 09:45:31 AM »
Just make sure File System Shield and Auto SandBox are enabled and you are protected.
Turning Web Shield off, only blocks web protection. Because web malware is effective only when downloaded offline, as long as File System Shield is on, Auto SandBox is enabled and virus definitions are up-to-date, you are protected.

As of network attacks, they do not need to be downloaded offline and a hacker can remotely hack. To stay protected from network attacks, make sure Avast! Network Shield is turned on.

What I did was I kept 'Web Shield' On, but I unchecked 'Scan web (HTTP)traffic' from the 'Web Shield' and now my speed is back to around 18.0 Will that still protect me from the web?

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »
Turning Web Shield off, only blocks web protection.
Try not to make that a first recommendation, that should be a last resort only.

What I did was I kept 'Web Shield' On, but I unchecked 'Scan web (HTTP)traffic' from the 'Web Shield' and now my speed is back to around 18.0 Will that still protect me from the web?
No, you more or less turned it off by doing this.  Try what I told you....or don't, I guess ::) ;D

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 09:56:52 AM »

No, you more or less turned it off by doing this.  Try what I told you....or don't, I guess ::) ;D

I agree.
Download e.g. the AIS installer file from my signature (click on the blue AIS) and take the time the download took.
Turn of WebShield and do the same again.

Any significant time-difference?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
When I installed 6.0.1091 on my other laptop with 512mb, Win XP Pro, Intel Pent 3, 698mhz, My internet speed goes from my 18.0 to 8 to 9.0 When I disabled the 'Web Shield' my speed went up to 18.0

Thanks in advance.

weird on your connection, but normal on connections above 50Mb/s, the issue is known. I got it here. Workaround is to use an external download manager that doesn't get the web shield in its way ;)

RB123

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 10:02:19 AM »

At this moment, I don't have a large file to download. I also notice it on my web pages, they load slower when 'Web Shield' is on. So, then why does it still say the 'Web Shield' is running even though I unchecked 'Scan web  (HTTP) traffic'

RB123

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »

Thanks in advance.

weird on your connection, but normal on connections above 50Mb/s, the issue is known. I got it here. Workaround is to use an external download manager that doesn't get the web shield in its way ;)

What is a external download manager?

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 10:06:04 AM »
@RB123 read my post above ::)  >>> I'm adding, "normal" browsing cannot be affected obviously, as that doesn't require high bandwidth.

On a side note, I'm still getting 25/30Mb/s with the webshield on while using an integrated download manager, while I get twice as that and above with no web shield, and again, like I said already, use an external download manager >>> the web shield won't interfere with it.

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 10:07:26 AM »
What is a external download manager?

example: Free Download Manager http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Gargamel360

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 10:11:16 AM »
Yeah, I'm roughly around his advertised speed at 14 Mb, and I lose nowhere near half my bandwidth.  ~1 or 2 Mbs is my noticeable impact on a large download.