Author Topic: Avast 6.0.1091 Cuts my internet speed in half with Web Shield On  (Read 20255 times)

RB123

Re: Avast 6.0.1091 Cuts my internet speed in half with Web Shield On
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 10:23:52 PM »
I forgot to mention, another option that may help to speed up things while downloading (using a browser native downloader), is to deactivate "stream scanning" from the web shield advanced settings. This will prevent the shield from scanning just downloads, while these will still be scanned at disk level by the file shield.

So, If i disable 'Web Shield' and visit websites with malware, will Avast still block them? Like I said before, I want to keep Avast, cuz I like it.  :)

Hermite15

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »
I forgot to mention, another option that may help to speed up things while downloading (using a browser native downloader), is to deactivate "stream scanning" from the web shield advanced settings. This will prevent the shield from scanning just downloads, while these will still be scanned at disk level by the file shield.

So, If i disable 'Web Shield' and visit websites with malware, will Avast still block them? Like I said before, I want to keep Avast, cuz I like it.  :)

this doesn't disable the web shield, just a feature in it.

RB123

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 10:26:54 PM »

Ok, Will I still be protected, by not using 'Web Shield' by Avast?

Hermite15

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 10:27:37 PM »

yes, by the file shield ;D

RB123

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 10:30:46 PM »

So, if I go to a bad website, the file shield will still notify me with a pop-up, saying it was blocked?

Hermite15

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »
So, if I go to a bad website, the file shield will still notify me with a pop-up, saying it was blocked?

yes, when it intercepts the threat at disk level (while the web shield intercepts earlier, in memory).

RB123

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »

So, If i disable 'Web Shield' and visit websites with malware, will Avast still block them? Like I said before, I want to keep Avast, cuz I like it.  :)

yes, when it intercepts the threat at disk level (while the web shield intercepts earlier, in memory).

Ok, Thank You very much for your kind help, I really appreciate it and everyone else.  :)

RB123

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »
When use speedtest.net, here are the results of the official jury:
with WS  on: 75 MB/s
with WS off: 75 MB/s

Known issue? Where?

Here is someone having the problem like me, even with Avast 5.0

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55898.0

Hermite15

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 11:12:39 PM »
When use speedtest.net, here are the results of the official jury:
with WS  on: 75 MB/s
with WS off: 75 MB/s

Known issue? Where?

here, see screen shots (tested just now)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 11:29:49 PM »
Almost identical speeds for On or Off for me.

You could try and guess which is which, but it wouldn't matter to much.

But for those who want to know.

The top part of the image is wit the web shield on and the bottom with it off.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 11:37:10 PM »
Almost identical speeds for On or Off for me.

You could try and guess which is which, but it wouldn't matter to much.

But for those who want to know.

The top part of the image is wit the web shield on and the bottom with it off.

the issue affects mostly connections above 50Mb/s >>>> see my screen shots again ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2011, 11:55:22 PM »
I thought that Vlk or Igor said at speeds above 100Mbps.

Since the OP's speeds are way lower than even the 50Mbps if that is the limit at which it kicks in. Then there has to be something else in the mix.

When I installed 6.0.1091 on my other laptop with 512mb, Win XP Pro, Intel Pent 3, 698mhz, My internet speed goes from my 18.0 to 8 to 9.0 When I disabled the 'Web Shield' my speed went up to 18.0

I did a test not just on speedtest.net but using the link in Zyndstoff's signature for AIS ( 77,589KB) for a more real world test and downloaded it using Pale Moons internal download function.

I only timed it using the second hand of my desktop clock:
First, with the web shield enabled and it took 10 seconds, I was surprised.
Second, with the web shield disabled and it took 18 seconds, I was even more surprised to find it almost took twice as long.

All of that without resorting to disabling the Use intelligent stream scanning, weird.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gargamel360

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 12:09:23 AM »
Apparently Avast! Ubertechnicals get a special prototype Webshield that is also a Web Accelerator? ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 12:19:54 AM »
I can't explain it, must be having to suffer for years and years and years of dial-up and average of 52000 Bps before broadband came to the sticks where I live seven months ago.

Three months later I managed to get Fibre to the Cabinet connection (last part copper wire) and a max download of 40Mpps, so very close to its max. So I consider myself very fortunate right now and don't forget my dial-up days.

Hermite15

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 12:29:34 AM »
I can't explain it, must be having to suffer for years and years and years of dial-up and average of 52000 Bps before broadband came to the sticks where I live seven months ago.

Three months later I managed to get Fibre to the Cabinet connection (last part copper wire) and a max download of 40Mpps, so very close to its max. So I consider myself very fortunate right now and don't forget my dial-up days.

40 Mb/s is already pretty fast, and yeah, I know where you're coming from ;) ... about the web shield issue, that I can reproduce anytime, I started a thread about it several months ago. Vlk confirmed it like I said for connections above 50Mb/s...and it's been confirmed by other users so... On a side note, I'd like to see Zyndstoff screen shots...  ;D

ps: @zyndtoff aka etc..., genuine web shield off and on pics ;) ... and please, in Mb/s, not in MB, probably a typo :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:32:43 AM by Logos »