Author Topic: Serious computer crash  (Read 15863 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Serious computer crash
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 11:56:29 PM »
1. I've reinstalled, but the problem is the same.

2. When i run a full system scan, some files can't be scanned (Compression bomb). What is the compression bomb?

1. What crashes and when and how..??
2. You can ignore this.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Ghost2

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 12:05:52 AM »
When i'm trying to read from the 300 GB hard drive, the computer immediately crashes.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 08:16:38 AM »
When i'm trying to read from the 300 GB hard drive, the computer immediately crashes.

As you don't get a BSOD.
How does it crash..? What happens..?
You can run free Mbam, to check if the system is clean. (Update it after install..!!!)
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »
Crashes like what the OP is saying happened on my windows xp computer when i had google chrome installed. but it stopped after google chrome got removed.  So basically the Crashes on your computer Could be happening from a program that you have installed.
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
CoolMario, it is possible there is a program confliction, however that doesn't address the cause of it. The majority of users can run Avast and Chrome, or any other legitimate program.

I'm suspecting malware at this point.
I think an OTL log might be called for. But first, details about the system crash would be useful. As Asyn has asked. Please state "how" it crashes.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Ghost2

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 10:52:50 AM »

As you don't get a BSOD.
How does it crash..? What happens..?
You can run free Mbam, to check if the system is clean. (Update it after install..!!!)
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Just stops, doesn't do anything, just the mouse arrow moves.

Ghost2

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 11:17:36 AM »
An important thing:
The crashes start only after an update.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 11:26:49 AM »
Do you mean it becomes unresponsive, or programs close by themselves? Does it freeze on whatever screen is up at the time? You say you still have the mouse. Can you right-click the bottom task bar when this happens and open task manager: find out what process is using most of the CPU?

If the above isn't accurate, describe more accurately what it's doing.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Ghost2

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »
Do you mean it becomes unresponsive, or programs close by themselves? Does it freeze on whatever screen is up at the time? You say you still have the mouse. Can you right-click the bottom task bar when this happens and open task manager: find out what process is using most of the CPU?

If the above isn't accurate, describe more accurately what it's doing.

It becomes unresponsive! The programs don't close, totally freeze, mouse moves, but can't click.

Ghost2

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 12:45:48 PM »
The exact problems are:

When i start the computer it starts normally, but after I trying to open something from or copy to the 300 GB hard drive (simply click on its icon from the "My computer", the computer immediately crashes (unresponding). Also when i want to open the Recycle bin, this happens (maybe the recycle bin opens the 300 GB hard drive too). And sometimes crashes suddenly.
BUT when I turn off one of the parmanent protections, and try to use the 300 GB hard drive, and re-enable protection, it works correctly until the next computer restart.

The another problem is that when avast found a threat on the flash drive, the browsers (IE and Firefox) become very slow until the next computer restart, even the flash drive was removed.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
It is an external hard disk :)

Ghost2

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »
It is an external hard disk :)

Can't handle external hard drives?

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »
At school when I put my pen drive to the pc (ram half 512mb and OS windows Xp SP2)
Well sometimes it can open properly and sometimes it freezes when "my computer" is opened
When I close "my computer", crash...everything is gone on the screen except wallpaper and cursor.
What I do is that I remove the pen drive (Without doing safely remove might lose data) and the screen returns to normal again...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:06:20 PM by Shiw Liang »

Ghost2

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 03:43:09 PM »
At school when I put my pen drive to the pc (ram half 512mb and OS windows Xp SP2)
Well sometimes it can open properly and sometimes it freezes when "my computer" is opened
When I close "my computer", crash...everything is gone on the screen except wallpaper and cursor.
What I do is that I remove the pen drive (Without doing safely remove might lose data) and the screen returns to normal again...

The pendrive works fine until Avast doesn't find a threat. The computer doesn't crash because of the pendrive, just slows down the browsers.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »
Actually I am wondering if your external hard disk is not overloaded...or that your computer is not reading it too slowly