Author Topic: Trial Period expires after 2 (two) days & registration impossible ...  (Read 20155 times)

Kakadu

I Installed a new WinXP on 19.04.2011; I downloaded AVAST latest* version on 20.04.2011 and installed it. As it is a notebook that not always has a thick internet connection, I set to manual-virus-update. Last virus-update was today (22.04.2011) at 18:17:16 just after power-up - now we have here 21:45 ... There was the explanation mark on the avast-symbol on the tray icon, so I opened it, and it was telling me that there would be a problem: automatic updates are not installed (yes, sure, as I set manually to manually update them as it is a portable device that not always has an enough thick internet connection to immediately update). So I clicked on "FIX IT" - and then I was told that the trial period has expired and I have to register. So I went to the chapter "registration" where I am told: CURRENT STATUS NOT YET REGISTRED. I click on the button "Register now". Then a small window "Retrieving information, please wait ..." appears for some seconds - and redisapears. That's it ... nothing more ... I can click there as many times as I like - nothing more happens ... After a reboot, I am told:
- Real time shields: off (clicking on "turn on" tells me that turning shields on is not possible as registration has expired)
- Expiration date is indicated with: 20.05.2011-12:00:03 - (clicking on "show details" shows the screen: not yet registered, this product must be registered in the next 0 days, and by clicking on "register now", same thing as above happens.

sorry, but avast is not usable that way!

*that one: http://software-files-l.cnet.com/s/software/11/88/82/93/setup_av_free.exe

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Trial Period expires after 2 (two) days & registration impossible ...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 10:08:10 PM »
What version is it?
6.0.1091?

Your link is dead when I click on it.

Download the current version by clicking on "Free" in my signature. Install that right over the existing one.

And leave the "AutoUpdate" enabled. The updates are incremental, not too big.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:10:23 PM by Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail) »
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Kakadu

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:54:13 PM »
Yes, it is 6.0.1091 ...

Hmm ... I use an old ReGet version as download manager that needs direct links to take over - but CNet does not present that, so I had to view the source-code of the html-page and find out the download-link (I hate CNet for that!): [http://software-files-l.cnet.com/s/software/11/88/82/93/setup_av_free.exe?e=1303311188&h=9cdabb8b9af4a8f4f2459ab8e06ff748&lop=link&ptype=1901&ontid=2239&siteId=4&edId=3&spi=c91ed8ba9afbd48c3f0c65151be22aea&pid=11888293&psid=10019223&fileName=setup_av_free.exe]

Your download-link shows a file dating 19.04.2011 - 12:39:14 - the one I had installed was from the same day, but from 17:04:08 (that's one of the reasons I use oldfashioned ReGet: it shows me original timestamps!) - and a byte-by-byte comparison with windiff tells me that they are identical.

What should I do with it? Deinstall the existing and reinstall? When "modifying" it, it just does nothing as all is as it should be ...

I cannot allow auto-update as I cannot allow that any software takes it's internet connection in a moment that I cannot allow it. So manual updating is a 800% must here. It's not just a matter of size - it is also a matter of connecting in the wrong moment - what can cost me several euros at once - just for the connection itself (there are tarifs that cost per hour or per day - and that's just several euros for one period). And there are other reasons to manually start the updates ... But I don't like the behaviour of the manual update! How can I prevent the big window to appear? It's enough that a small tray-window-like progression-bar would appear. And something else is strange: when clicking on "update now", the tray-window does not disappear - and I can click several times to "update-now" - even when update has started. And I don't like that acclamation-mark for showing that as long as the latest update is installed. Please change it to "no acclamation-mark visible as long as virus database is up-to-date - and as soon as an update is detected, acclamation-mark should reappear".
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:56:01 PM by Kakadu »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:01:12 PM »
@kakadu: what exactly do you want/need..?
Short answer please.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Kakadu

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 11:05:42 PM »
make work avast again - preferably without needing to reconfigure the whole stuff because of deinstalling and reinstalling it (I need to change preferences at almost every shield to 1) ask 2) try repair 3) move to chest - and NEVER ALLOW TO DELETE without telling me - and this takes very much time until all prefs are as they should be!)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 11:09:18 PM »
I see, that you asked about a malware problem in another topic.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76856.0
Please solve this first.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Kakadu

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:11:16 PM »
Sorry, they don't have to do anything with one another as they are on different computers: malware problem is on a P-III-Notebook, and this problem is on a Atom-Netbook!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 11:14:54 PM »
Sorry, they don't have to do anything with one another as they are on different computers: malware problem is on a P-III-Notebook, and this problem is on a Atom-Netbook!

What doesn't work..??

Kakadu

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 11:23:59 PM »
P-III-Notebook (malware-problem) works again and seems to be fixed. But I am questioning if behaviour is as it should be - as I am sure not to be the only one that considers it as a not acceptable behaviour of avast to report the same threat hundreds of time without being able to resolve it.

Problem here (Atom-Netbook) is still not only that trial-period has expired after two days, but also registration is not working. Neither "repair" nor "update" nor "change" (from within "add/remove programs") causes any change of the problem. The only option that remains would be "uninstall" - but I'm not yet doing that ...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:26:43 PM by Kakadu »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 11:27:24 PM »
Problem here (Atom-Netbook) is still not only that trial-period has expired after two days and registration is not working.

Read here for registration info.
https://support.avast.com/index.php?languageid=1&group=eng&_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=612

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 11:30:31 PM »
P-III-Notebook (malware-problem) works again and seems to be fixed. But I am questioning if behaviour is as it should be - as I am sure not to be the only one that considers it as a not acceptable behaviour of avast to report the same threat hundreds of time without being able to resolve it.
can you post that in the other thread if that case is solved ?

Kakadu

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 11:33:34 PM »
can you post that in the other thread if that case is solved ?
I just did ... :)

Kakadu

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »
Problem here (Atom-Netbook) is still not only that trial-period has expired after two days and registration is not working.
Read here for registration info.
https://support.avast.com/index.php?languageid=1&group=eng&_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=612
As just said before: I come to the "Registration"-page (inside AVAST) that shows:
- CURRENT STATUS: NOT YET REGISTERED
- this product must be registered within 0 days.
- Registration information:
Current registration will expire on: 20.05.2011 12:00:03
Date of Registration: 20.04.2011 12:00:03

There must be something wrong when THIS happens!!! Look at the timestamps!

Very disturbing is that the button "Register now" appears even if the part of the window is closed ... when clicking on it, the small "retrieving information, please wait" window appears - and disappears after about 10 to 15 seconds without having done anything visible ...

This behaviour is unacceptable:
1) set to "manual updates"
2) click on tray-icon (that has exclamation mark) - the avast-window opens
3) then click on "solve problem" (that should turn automatic virus-database-update on) and
4) instead, all the shields are turned off (you cannot turn them on again before registering) and you are you are told that trial period is over even you can read that it still lasts nearly a whole month ... and
5) online-registering does not work ... after two days of use

The question here is to trace down if that behaviour is reproducable ...

OK, I "ordered" offline-registration-code that I got via eMail but did not yet enter it ...

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 12:43:14 AM »
Just a thought...have you tried a different internet connection?
Also, I am having a difficult time trying to understand exactly what your problem is. A shorter explanation would be better. I do think you should try a different connection.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Kakadu

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 01:07:30 AM »
Hmm ... what difference should a different internet connection make? I have here a 20MBit cable connection ...