Author Topic: Trial Period expires after 2 (two) days & registration impossible ...  (Read 20255 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Trial Period expires after 2 (two) days & registration impossible ...
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2011, 02:34:00 AM »
We have been more than patient, but consider this 150 million users have not had this issue. As far as following your posts it would be nice if you "get to the point" quickly as your posts are confusing at best.
Please see post 34. I still think your issue is in your machine. Run CCleaner and scan with Secunia PSI. You might have some registry error that should be addressed. I really have no idea what issues you are having. We want to help it's just we don't understand what you want from us. I still can't understand why you didn't register in the first place. The registration is for a count on how many downloads have been made. The issue is "not" with avast as you might think. It' with your machine.

Give us a short version...not an essay.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Kakadu

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2011, 04:57:01 AM »
Sorry, but that machine got a brandnewly formatted harddisk, and a brand new os (from the original recovery-dvd) was installed on 19.04.2011 ... The machine then got all of the windows-xp updates from microsoft that are available - and nothing else ... and as first and only "foreign" (i.e. non-MS) software it got AVAST on 20.04.2011 ... it is totally bare from ANY other software - as absolutely nothing (besides microsoft-system-update and AVAST) was yet installed ... nothing at all!

On 22.04.2011 another was installed to another partiton of that brandnewly formatted harddisk - and that other OS does neither have writing rights, nor even have writing possibility as NTFS (of that Windows XP here) is an filesystem that it only can handle for reading and not for writing!

Btw: setup.log of AVAST6 resides in (Bootdevice):/Program Files/AVAST Software/Avast/Setup/ ... itas a size of nearly 2 MB.

We have been more than patient, but consider this 150 million users have not had this issue.
Every "strange behaviour" (whatever it might be, just a flaw - or even a bug - or just a strange configuration) has it's appearance once the first time - and all users that used that software before did not have that problem ... that number of 150 million does not give any relevant evidence for anything.

As far as following your posts it would be nice if you "get to the point" quickly as your posts are confusing at best.
I wonder what should be confusing as I only can explain in words what has happened and what the circumstances were when the strange behaviour occurred.

Please see post 34.
I cannot follow all those imputations that are totally neither applicable nor appropriate.

The posts were long and rambling with little regard to his issue.
There were other things I mentioned (that would better be placed in "suggestions and wishes") ...

Not to mention confusing.
Don't know what was confusing - and in such a case: ask! Ask very specific questions to clarify things!

I wonder if and when the last time he used CCleaner or scanned with Secunia PSI.
Why should I - on a brand new installed PC that does not have ANY software installed? It just has installed all MS-updates and AVAST - and nothing else at all! And the first install of the OS was three days before ...

There are some serious problems with his machine.
I cannot exclude that - but the only strange thing on a PC that has an OS not older than three days was that mentioned time/clock-problem (that the other OS treats hardware-clock as UTC and this windows xp did not - but then I declared in registry to do the same (treat hardware-clock as UTC and not as local time) - and since then the trial period was again valid until 20.05.2011) ...

I don't know why ... but that's what happened ...

I think ??? one thing he wanted was to export/import setting from one version to the next.
What's that crap of imputations? Who does invent such things I never spent any thought to???

You did not understand the suggestions I made for not always spoiling at least half an hour just only for configuring a new installed AVAST!

Which has been discussed on this forum before. It does not take that long to reset settings.  ;D
But it takes again half an hour to reconfigure AVAST - and I told before that I do not want to spoil again half an hour for configuring AVAST - that's why I did not deinstall and reinstall it so far.

But deinstalling and reinstalling did not seem to be necessary - as trial period is again valid and lasts until 20.05.2011

I still think your issue is in your machine.
Again: I cannot totally exclude that - but this is very improbable with a totally new installed system! If it is the case, MS and WinXP would be really crap. What kind of issue should that be?

Run CCleaner and scan with Secunia PSI.
I hate such software (like Secunia PSI) that AVAST is causing a warning (untrusted program is trying to modify a protected resource) - just only in the process while installing it!!! That's the way issues are produced!

You might have some registry error that should be addressed.
I would wonder what kind of!

I really have no idea what issues you are having.
As written before: the issue "your still have time to register until 20.05.2011 but that is not valid and you have to register now" is no longer there ...

We want to help it's just we don't understand what you want from us.
First thing was to solve the issue that after two days trial period should have finished - now it has turned into finding out if that possible flaw really could have come from time/clock inconsistencies.

I still can't understand why you didn't register in the first place.
Because then I would not have had the possibility to notice that the issue is no longer here - even without registering!

The registration is for a count on how many downloads have been made.
Sorry, but that's rubbish! The number of downloads is not the same as the number of registrations. I assume you have a reliable number for the registrations, but not for the downloads, as a) many downloads do not end up in an installation and b) downloads are used for several installations. So it's clear and obvious that the number of downloads is not reliable, but the nuber of registrations is much closer to the real numbers.

The issue is "not" with avast as you might think. It' with your machine.
Sorry, but when AVAST tells me that trial period is still valid for another 28 days, but forces me to register immediately, it's AVAST that is lying - in either or other way. The question is, why AVAST is telling such a rubbish!

Give us a short version...not an essay.
Sorry, but it seems that it is not possible here: again I have to explain things again and again ...

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
One last try..... Can I remote support your PC if the problem still persist then I will start a new thread for you and at least could post real problem you are facing bcoz

Date: 22.04.2011 - Time 21:45
- CURRENT STATUS: NOT YET REGISTERED
- this product must be registered within 0 days.
- Registration information:
Current registration will expire on: 20.05.2011 12:00:03
Date of Registration: 20.04.2011 12:00:03

Above your expiration is 20.5.2011 and if that it should not show
"this product must be registered within 0 days"

If interested plz send a personal message to me...

Thanks
Ash
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Hermite15

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
guys, just let the thread die, don't answer anymore here ... ;)

Kakadu

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2011, 12:01:58 PM »
One last try..... Can I remote support your PC if the problem still persist then I will start a new thread for you and at least could post real problem you are facing bcoz
Thanks for the offer - but the problem is not persisting. The writer of post #15 (Pondus from Norway) was thinking of a possible time/clock issue ... and as written in post #19 the problem does not persist anymore since I was giving a look at that.

That's the one thing. But the other is, what action I did that this was occurring. It did not "come from alone". I was clicking on "fix now" (as I have the setting "ask to install for a new virus database") - and instead of "fixing" (set to "automatic virus-database-update"), it was turning all protection shields totally off and telling me that trial period has expired (ignoring that it is still valid for 28 days).

Date: 22.04.2011 - Time 21:45
- CURRENT STATUS: NOT YET REGISTERED
- this product must be registered within 0 days.
- Registration information:
Current registration will expire on: 20.05.2011 12:00:03
Date of Registration: 20.04.2011 12:00:03

Above your expiration is 20.5.2011 and if that it should not show
"this product must be registered within 0 days"

I agree with you - and that's the main topic here: how and why does that be seen!!!

As written in post #19, since 23.04.2011 at about 00:00h it does not show it anymore and does not tell me anymore to have to register immediately.

The question here is: how and why did that occur, and could it be reproducable? As mentioned: a possible source could be a time/clock problem - and I explicitly did not yet register to be able to make experiments for trying to reproduce it.

If interested plz send a personal message to me...

Thanks
Ash
Thanks for the offer - but I think the thread is not yet to close and we can treat that issue openly here.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:17:59 PM by Kakadu »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2011, 06:52:33 PM »
guys, just let the thread die, don't answer anymore here ... ;)
+1  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.