Author Topic: avast! Free Antivirus 6.0.1091 installs OK and works but fails after a re-boot  (Read 4056 times)

Thomi

Trying to help a cousin who has used Avast for years but since Mar 21 has been having Avast problems first with the then current Avast free 5 and subsequently with several Avast free 6 versions including yesterdays 6.0.1091.

Running a Dell Vostra 1710 with Windows Vista Ultimate SP2.  Avast Free apparently installs correctly and runs (detects Eicar)and all functions seem to work immediately after the clean installation however as soon as the computer is rebooted Avast will not work: for example, if you click "Scan Computer"  you get a blank white main pane at the right and if you try to "update" the progress bar displays immediately but stops at about 1-2% and goes no further even after 5 minutes.

Another odd symptom is that once Avast has been opened during a windows session if you open a Windows Explorer window you cannot close IE by clicking on the red X at the top right corner of the window.  You must first click the 'maximize" button to resize the window and then it will close down using the red X.

Other info, we have uninstalled and reinstalled Avast 3 times.  Uninstall has been done from the Windows uninstall in Control Panel - Programs followed by a safe boot and clean up with the Avast Cleanup utility tool prior to each download and reinstall of the latest version of Avast free. Each installation apprears to run fine until the Windows vista reboot. 

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated
Thomi

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Dell machines usually comes with McAfee or Norton preinstalled when new.....have this been uninstalled ?
have you run a removal tool to clean all leftovers ?
Removal tools can be found here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Did you also run the aswClear (uninstall utility) for the old version of avast5, if not you should to ensure all remnants of it are removed.

So boot into safe mode, run the uninstall utility for avast5 when complete run it again for avast6.

Before doing that you would obviously use add remove programs for a normal mode uninstall of the avast version currently installed..

What happened around Mar 21, any system changed updates to other security software ?

What other security software is installed ?
Aside from the question from Pondus about previous AV.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Thomi

Thank you both for quick replies,  Yes preinstalled Dell security programmes removed long ago and opted for AVAST as sole Antivirus programme (earlier versions of Avast did run successfully so no conflicting programme were/are present).  CCleaner has been used a number or times since their removal as well to remove any traces along with manufacturer's cleanup utilities. 

Only Anti virus presently installed is Avast Free (now ver 6.0.1091)  though ZoneAlarm is and has been installed/updated for a number of years and is the currently active firewall.  Windows Firewall is turned off.

Re Cleanup utility: a couple of weeks ago when problem first occurred with Avast 5 did an add remove programs uninstall of ver 5 (no longer have that full version number but it was whatever was the then current update) then also ran aswClear for both versions 4&5 and yesterday after Avast Free 6 failed again did an windows uninstall of that followed by another aswClean in safe mode for version 6 prior to the the current failed install of Avas version 6.

Yes, around Mar 21 there were a number of Windows Vista updates installed and we have tried unsuccessfully to do a windows restore point to just prior to that time but the restore failed so short of running the Dell windows full restore CD to "Out of box" configuration can't do a Windows repair without reinstalling all programmes and personal data which is of course the last resort we are trying to avoid if possible.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well a dell restore would be an act of last resort and not something that I would consider.

The only windows update that I know of which caused some issues with avast, and that was for the latest round of April patch Tuesday updates. It was an update of C++ 2008 Redistributable (which was subsequently pulled), that changed the kernel32 or some such, but that appeared to be only an issue with win2000 and avast users. So I don't think that would have been an issue with Vista SP2.

I have not been a system restore fan for a very long time as it is far from infallible and often you get unexpected issues. I now prefer to have my own Image Back-up software and run that weekly, If I have a problem I just restore the last weekly image (exact copy of a partition/drive). This saves going down the starting from scratch road.

Given you have essentially done as I suggested, running the uninstall utility for old versions of avast also, I'm at a loss as to what it could be and I have never used Vista.

In your first post, you say it fails after a reboot, does that produce any error message or an entry in the windows event viewer ?

There may also be some .hdmp files in the avast folder, you could try a search for *.mdmp, these might help developers but I'm not to familiar with checking them with a tool from MS. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/isvwindowserrors/thread/501f077a-9c0d-48af-a530-83e3de8d0972/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Thomi

Hi DavidR,

Had a look at the event viewer early on and hadn't noticed anthing which made a connection in my mind that linked to the symptoms but with your suggestion I think it's a good idea that I should look more closely. 

Also will have a look for the C++ 2008 update you quote and see if that was installed just before the problem began; if so might try an uninstall of that update if it is available.  If the Avast problem is still present can always reinstall the update.   Heck maybe I could try uninstall as many of the updates as possible that occured just before the problem if the problem clears could put them back one at a time.   

Thank you for your time and consideration on our problem
Thomi

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
No problem, only sorry I couldn't be more helpful

Welcome to the forums.