Author Topic: Avast and IDM?  (Read 2366 times)

gate1975mlm

Avast and IDM?
« on: April 23, 2011, 06:17:23 PM »
Hello,

I use Internet Download Manager and I have added "ashQuick.exe" to it.

When I download something that has a virus with IDM I do get a popup window from Avast warning me that the file has a virus. But the file is still being downloaded to my computer.

Is there anyway to make Avast kill abort the connention when downloading with IDM?

If I download using IE9 built in download manager Avast is able to about the connection.

YoKenny

Re: Avast and IDM?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 07:16:43 PM »
I have never needed Internet Download Manager with IE9 as it scans for security problems like you say.
I have no problems aborting the download if I do not want it.
The only time I would use IDM was if I was on dial-up! 

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »
just for testing, go to IDM options and set the number of connection to 1 and see if it change the way avast re-act to malware downloads.

Since IDM separate the file to many segments to accelerate download speed, maybe avast detect malware code only to one of the those segments and break only that connection and thats where you say IDM is still downloading the file...
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 07:37:32 PM »
No, there isn't such a feature.
WebShield scans the http traffic. The download managers breaks the files into pieces to accelerate download. False positives could occur as "part" of the file could be wrong interpreted as being infected. The connection with that part is broken, but the other parts don't. The process continues and IDM finished its job.
Only if the final downloaded file is infected File Shield will act.
It's an intrinsic "problem" of download managers.
The best things in life are free.