Author Topic: BleachBit vs CCleaner  (Read 30363 times)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
BleachBit vs CCleaner
« on: April 24, 2011, 12:53:46 AM »
I have always used CCleaner and been happy with it but i have now heard of a similar program called BleachBit, which i know very little about so far.

Who has used both and in your opinion which is better?
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: BleachBit vs CCleaner
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 01:12:11 AM »
Never tried it...and i have used CCleaner for years and never had a problem with it, so therfor trust it

here is a review http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/linux/BleachBit-Review-121825.shtml

Telegraph_Sam

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 01:26:38 AM »
I have used CC for years and now use both!

[I am replying partly because I cannot find how to now post a new topic - the administrators have made this a well concealed secret ..]

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 01:29:31 AM »
Having seen the softpedia review, screenshots, I'm not impressed. I too have been using ccleaner for years, interface isn't complex, covers a great number of applications and as they say if it isn't broken don't fix it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 01:33:58 AM »
I have used CC for years and now use both!

[I am replying partly because I cannot find how to now post a new topic - the administrators have made this a well concealed secret ..]

No secret a so**ing great New Topic button at the top of each different forum listing ;D

You will have to have seen a listing to be able to find this topic. So depending on what your topic subject is about, choose the relevant Forum from the forum.avast.com/index.php and open that forum click the New Topic button and you're off and running, give the topic a meaningful title.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Telegraph_Sam

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:46:23 AM »
"No secret a so**ing great New Topic button at the top of each different forum listing

You will have to have seen a listing to be able to find this topic. So depending on what your topic subject is about, choose the relevant Forum from the forum.avast.com/index.php and open that forum click the New Topic button and you're off and running, give the topic a meaningful title."

It certainly wasn't there whilst I was searching around for it (as you indicate) but I have since stumbled on it by some roundabout reply route.  Don't want to progress here as I suspect this is off topic and I risk getting shot by the moderator.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 02:01:02 AM »
You won't get shot, hung, drawn and quartered perhaps ;D

Joe S

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 02:10:45 AM »
Never heard of it. I've used Ccleaner on Windows 98, XP, Vista, and Windows 7 and never any problems. I have with some other products in the past.  So if it ain't broke don't fix it. 
Joe

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 02:12:56 AM »
I been using CCleaner for a long time and i like it.
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 06:13:14 AM »
Ccleaner is light, simple and is doing a great job for me :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 06:15:06 AM »
Having seen the softpedia review, screenshots, I'm not impressed. I too have been using ccleaner for years, interface isn't complex, covers a great number of applications and as they say if it isn't broken don't fix it.
DavidR's reply say's it all for me  :)

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 06:55:10 AM »
As David said, I'll stay with CCleaner.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 07:31:13 AM »
Open source alternative to CCleaner- tried it on Linux almost a year ago- it works well and I still have it.

http://dontsurfinthenude.blogspot.com/2009/09/ccleaner-for-ubuntu.html

Multi-platform and works on Windows too- here's the web site.

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Telegraph_Sam

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
What experience do you folk have with the CCleaner "Registry" option?  I just use the default "applications" clean myself because I have heard horror stories about people using "registry cleaners", optimisers etc and regretting it. It would be useful to know if CC's registry cleaner is safe and idiot-proof

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 03:04:31 PM »
What experience do you folk have with the CCleaner "Registry" option?  I just use the default "applications" clean myself because I have heard horror stories about people using "registry cleaners", optimisers etc and regretting it. It would be useful to know if CC's registry cleaner is safe and idiot-proof
I use CCleaner and Eusing free http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm
I run these with default settings and have never had a problem

I used PC Tools Registry Mechanic once ...... and that ended with a reinstall   :'(