Author Topic: BleachBit vs CCleaner  (Read 30380 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: BleachBit vs CCleaner
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »
What experience do you folk have with the CCleaner "Registry" option?  I just use the default "applications" clean myself because I have heard horror stories about people using "registry cleaners", optimisers etc and regretting it. It would be useful to know if CC's registry cleaner is safe and idiot-proof

The ccleaner's Registry, Scan for Issues function is really rather benign, it doesn't go into areas that could well convert your system into a paper weight. I have another registry cleaner, which if I ran it after ccleaner's Registry, Scan for Issues function it would find lots of other things.

So it is one of the safer options as far as registry cleaning goes, but I believe there is no thing such as a completely safe registry cleaner. There will always be an element of risk just that it should be less using ccleaner, like anything to do with the registry always elect to backup any change so it can be reversed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 05:38:50 PM »
So it is one of the safer options as far as registry cleaning goes, but I believe there is no thing such as a completely safe registry cleaner. There will always be an element of risk just that it should be less using ccleaner, like anything to do with the registry always elect to backup any change so it can be reversed.
It provides an easy way to backup changes of the found registry items after you select Fix selected issues...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 06:37:38 PM »
Yes it does, but some might not choose to do so, which is why I mentioned it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 08:31:49 PM »
On my other computer with windows xp i used BleachBit and brought my computer back up from 100mb of free space to 1,003Mb of free space. CCleaner couldn't even do that. BleachBit is a good program
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Dch48

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 12:50:49 AM »
What experience do you folk have with the CCleaner "Registry" option?  I just use the default "applications" clean myself because I have heard horror stories about people using "registry cleaners", optimisers etc and regretting it. It would be useful to know if CC's registry cleaner is safe and idiot-proof
I use the registry cleaner in CCleaner regularly and have never had a problem. As a matter of fact, after looking at what it wants to delete, I have always told it to go ahead without creating a backup and have never regretted it (you may choose to do otherwise and that's fine). I therefore would say that it's perfectly safe to use. When I uninstall something, I use CCleaner to do that too,then I run the registry cleaner (with no backup), then run Auslogics Registry Cleaner which sometimes finds additional left behind things. I also will sometimes use the older version 7 of Registry Mechanic which really does a thorough job and also has a registry compaction option. Auslogics and Registry Mechanic make automatic backups but I have never had to use one. I would not recommend any later versions of Registry Mechanic since it has become very bloated but the Auslogics offering is excellent.

The only Registry cleaning program I ever had a problem with was RegCure and it never caused a problem with the system. What it did was constantly delete valid things that would be automatically restored on the next bootup. I think they had it detect those things to make you think it was doing a better job than it's competitors.

Offline Hopper15

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »
ccleaner ftw
Win 8.1 64 bit 16GB Avast Free/Malwarebytes Pro/CCleaner

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 04:34:22 AM »
I have found using both CCleaner and WinUtilities Free work well together and compliment each other. What one does not get the other will.

CCleaner  http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/
WinUtilities Free  http://download.cnet.com/WinUtilities-Free-Edition/3000-18512_4-75021441.html
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 07:12:23 PM »

CCleaner registry option is very good but be careful! If you are not sure whether to delete something it is better to leave it. Of course CCleaner has an option to make a backup to the registry before making any changes but beware that may not help you if you deleted something way down the line. I recently had to restore my system to it's factory condition as i was having loads of problems at startup. Tried everything, it would fix temporarily then the problem would re-occur. This could have been down to virus/malware as it usually happened 1-2 days after visiting certain websites(neither Avast nor MBAM found any) but i also suspect that i may have caused the problem by deleting an important registry file. I restored the registry using CCleaner but still no joy!

My advice would be if your system is not running slow just stick to using CCleaner for junk windows and application files. When it comes to anything with the registry files be very careful indeed.
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »
How many of you are aware of the companion program to CCleaner called CcEnhancer ???
It add's many new functions to CCleaner. If you're not sure what any of these new function do,
simply leave them unchecked.

CcEnhancer: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5014-ccleaner-enhancer-ccenhancer.html
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Dch48

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 11:51:30 PM »

CCleaner registry option is very good but be careful! If you are not sure whether to delete something it is better to leave it. Of course CCleaner has an option to make a backup to the registry before making any changes but beware that may not help you if you deleted something way down the line. I recently had to restore my system to it's factory condition as i was having loads of problems at startup. Tried everything, it would fix temporarily then the problem would re-occur. This could have been down to virus/malware as it usually happened 1-2 days after visiting certain websites(neither Avast nor MBAM found any) but i also suspect that i may have caused the problem by deleting an important registry file. I restored the registry using CCleaner but still no joy!

My advice would be if your system is not running slow just stick to using CCleaner for junk windows and application files. When it comes to anything with the registry files be very careful indeed.
If restoring the registry entries that CCleaner had deleted did not fix the problem, it's pretty clear to me that it's not what caused the problem.

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 02:27:52 PM »
Anyone know anything about Advanced SystemCare Free. Seems to have very good reviews.

Sorry for asking so much about reg cleaners but this is very important as i believe this is what was causing so many problems on my pc before.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 03:41:36 PM »
I know all I need to know about it, it comes from iObit and there is no way I would use any of their software. Just do a forum search for iobit and you will see what I mean.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 07:32:59 PM »
Anyone know anything about Advanced SystemCare Free. Seems to have very good reviews.

Sorry for asking so much about reg cleaners but this is very important as i believe this is what was causing so many problems on my pc before.
I once upon a time used ASC Free until I did a little research as DavidR stated. I will "never" use ASC again. MalwareBytes.org had a lot of problems because of what iObit did.
see http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=29681  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 08:11:08 PM »
I once upon a time used ASC Free until I did a little research as DavidR stated. I will "never" use ASC again. MalwareBytes.org had a lot of problems because of what iObit did.
see http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=29681  :)

Wow, thanks for the info. i think i shall stick to the old adage... 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' In other words i think i will stick to using CCleaner :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:14:43 PM by justinlee »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 08:25:44 PM »
I've used CCleaner, without the registry option, for a long time. I like it. I have not used BleachBit, so, I can't offer an opinion on that program.