Author Topic: Can't reload Avast IS after serious hack  (Read 2561 times)

AliB

Can't reload Avast IS after serious hack
« on: April 24, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »
About 6 weeks ago I was hacked.  Trashed my PC completely and the Free Avast didn't stop it.

So I had the thing wiped clean and Windows reloaded.  Just to be on the safe side I bought the Avast Internet Suite, but two days ago I was hacked again.  I am understandably pretty miffed.  What was the point of me shelling out for the whole Security if it didn't work???

Having formatted my PC all over again, I am back in but cannot seem to be able to reload Avast.  As I get to the end of the set up, it tells me that there have been errors and will not load the thing.

I am getting seriously ticked off now and am seriously considering asking for a refund so I can go and get a package that works!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Can't reload Avast IS after serious hack
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 01:00:51 AM »
when you reinstalled....is that from a recovery partition or a recovery CD that sett it back to factory specs  ?

if the above is the case, does that mean it also install a trail version AV that usually follow from factory ?

If so it must be uninstalled before installing avast
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:20:02 AM by Pondus »

AliB

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:12:15 PM »
No. I shut the PC down and when I went to open it the next morning it wouldn't go into Windows.  It wouldn't open in anything, not even safe mode nor back to last known config.  It would get part way in and keep rebooting itself.

Eventually I had to concede defeat and wipe the disc clean and reload Windows.  I lost a bit of data - but not too much as I hadn't put much on there since the last hack.

I finally managed, after a lot of fiddling, to get Avast to download and it seems to be ok at the moment.  I am pretty cross that this happened though - I hadn't added any software or hardware so I can only assume it was a trojan or something - probably from one of the kids online game sites.

Why on earth the Internet Security package didn't stop it I haven't a clue.  What on earth was the point of me buying it if it doesn't work!  Wish I'd gone for something else now.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:13:51 PM »
Why on earth the Internet Security package didn't stop it I haven't a clue.  What on earth was the point of me buying it if it doesn't work!  Wish I'd gone for something else now.
No security program have 100% detection, it is just not possible with the amount of malware produced

Malware baddies crank up Trojan production
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/06/malware_trends/

During the first three months of 2011 an average of 73,000 new strains of malware have been created every day:

Daris

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 03:36:16 AM »
What other security software are you running with AIS? ..if any... Are you running any reg cleaners or CCleaner..Just curious....