Author Topic: AVAST and COMODO conflict  (Read 17574 times)

abcdefg3477

AVAST and COMODO conflict
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »
Today, open the computer suddenly found a good card Oh !!!..... the strange to the desktop on the long term resident of a less than = = not the same as with the usual test for a long time .... only to find the root of the conflict COMODO COMODO start out immediately To normal before I do not know what to do ... not yeah!!!!

Hermite15

Re: AVAST and COMODO conflict
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:07:45 PM »
Today, open the computer suddenly found a good card Oh !!!..... the strange to the desktop on the long term resident of a less than = = not the same as with the usual test for a long time .... only to find the root of the conflict COMODO COMODO start out immediately To normal before I do not know what to do ... not yeah!!!!

in English please ::)

abcdefg3477

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 12:14:29 PM »
Today, i open the computer found computer AVAST and COMODO conflict,and IE did not open so i close comodo then computer ok  !!! why ??

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:21:51 PM »
because Avast and Comodo conflict ???  (  ;D )

edited by myself for being stupidly sarcastic ;)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 12:31:08 PM by logos »

abcdefg3477

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
AVAST conflict comodo !!!sorry my english is not good :'(

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »
AVAST conflict comodo !!!sorry my english is not good :'(

no that's alright don't worry ;) ... Comodo and Avast can indeed conflict, and as I don't run Comodo, I can't really help you. For the others who may be able to because they run Comodo and they may have experienced this conflict, please tell about the precise versions that you use:

Comodo version, what components are activated
Avast version
Windows version

abcdefg3477

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 12:37:47 PM »
Avast version: AVAST FREE 6.0.1091
Windows version xp sp3

This  conflict just today!!!before today my computer is well

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 12:39:46 PM »
again:

1 what version of Comodo do you have?

2 what in Comodo runs? (firewall/defense+/antivirus)

abcdefg3477

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 12:48:10 PM »
1.comodo  version 5.3.181415.1237

2.comodo  av+ D+ +firewall

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »
okay, uninstall the AV !!!  :)

cadremis

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
I had a problem a few weeks ago using my XP Service Pack 3 computer with Avast and Comodo last version + Defense Plus, I was not able to browse and programs started very slowly, the computer was at 100% and I had to uninstall Comodo in that machine and I installed PrivateFirewall instead.

I help people in another forum and I found that that 3 more people were having the same problem in their computers too and the problem is gone when they uninstall Avast and put another antivirus software or they remove Comodo firewall...

I remember I asked here if there were incompatibility problems between these 2 softwares but nobody answered.

rm

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 11:49:03 PM »
okay, uninstall the AV !!!  :)

yeah, definitely do that, also you will benefit from changing the defense + rule for Avastsvc.exe to the predefined policy called "installer or updater"... there's a thread about it on Comodo forum, sorry but i dont have the link

Zile

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 11:56:33 PM »
I was using Comodo Firewall with Avast AV and I dint have any problem at all. The solution is simple, you musn't have two AV's on one PC!

sh2811

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »
Hi,

Sorry about the long post....

I've also been having issues and suspect some sort of clash but can't tell if it is/was with Avast and Windows in general or Avast + Comodo or Avast + Comodo + Win etc etc.
My system is a good old P4 3.8GHz with 3GB(4GB) Ram, Win XP SP3 (up to date), Avast free 6.0.1091 (just updated today from 6.0.1000) and Comodo firewall 5.3.181415.1237 (a small update carried out this morning).

Over the last couple of weeks I had noticed that sometimes during/just after boot up the system would slow down. I use Sysinternals process explorer which runs full screen on boot up so I can see what is going on during the startup. CPU load would hit about 50% and that was being caused by svchost.exe and the wuaueng.dll thread which is the windows update engine. I made sure that there were no updates waiting and also stopped any notfications about a couple of updates that I don't wish to install (MS Office related only) - that stopped the yellow shield icon appearing in the system tray and also seemed to improve things generally. I had noticed (I think) that the yellow icon only appeared once the high CPU usage had dropped down to about 5%, i.e. windows update agent had stopped being greedy. That all seems to make sense and i thought it was the only issue but...

Yesterday when I booted up (and sod's law dictated that I really needed something quickly) I had to hit the main reset button several times (which I always try and avoid) as the system just seemed to grind to a halt. The issue was not the same as mentioned above however. I tend to use windows explorer as my main tool and it just kept locking up and not responding. I was trying to find a backup copy of a video dvd (tv recordings) so that I could copy something from it for my parents. When I found what I thought was the relevant folder and tried double clicking the main IFO file, and thus run WinDVD to play the DVD, windows explorer stopped responding (and WinDVD did not start). At that point I noticed that process explorer had also frozen. I could start windows task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and that didn't indicate any high CPU load. So the pc was running with seemingly low CPU usage but nothing would respond or start up. I noticed then that the whole system seemed to have stopped responding and no applications would start. My hard disks weren't being accessed in a big way, with just a blip of activity every second or so. Weird I thought! Normal shutdown wouldn't work or was incredibly slow (I didn't have time to wait as I was in a rush) so I had to use the reset button. After 5 or 6 attempts I gave up for the day.

Last night I started again and thought it best to run a virus scan in safe mode even though I didn't suspect a virus. A full scan found nothing. Safe mode booted without issue and all applications ran without problems.
I had a quick peek at MSConfig to see what startup apps were listed and turned off a DivX updater that I hadn't spotted before. That made no difference when booting back to non safe mode (not surprised). I still had a very unresponsive system with Windows Explorer not responding if I tried to do anything with it and other apps not starting. If I waited for about two minutes other apps would eventually start (for example windows calculator or notepad) and windows explorer would do what I wanted (until I tried to carry out another action). During that two minute wait the system appeared totally frozen, including process explorer which is normally pretty robust. My gut feeling is that windows explorer (explorer.exe) is hanging for some reason and as explorer.exe is the main app in windows that everything seems to hang off it makes the whole system unresponsive. (I understand how explorer.exe is the usual windows shell but I have never looked into what is actually running when you start the file browser 'windows explorer' (is it something to do with browseui.dll?).)

Then it was time for bed!

NOTE: at this point I was still running Avast free 6.0.1000. Comodo firewall was also a slightly older version but I can't find any update logs so don't know exactly which version. I checked for Comodo updates this morning and it found somthing and did a very quick download. I'm not really sure what Comodo actually updates if it isn't updating the actual program...??

This morning I rebooted to safe mode and turned off a few more things in MSConfig to try and narrow down where the problem might lie. I turned off:
AdobeARM,
Adobe reader (reader_sl.exe),
Nero BackItUp (NBKeyScan.exe),
NeroCheck.exe,
NokiaMServer (telephone related app),
Java schedule (jusched.exe),
Secunia PSI tray (psi)tray.exe),
Windows search,
and AvastUI.exe(!!)
.... I did not touch Comodo.

I then rebooted to normal Windows mode and had no issues after boot up. Because I had turned off AvastUI in MSConfig, during the boot up period I had the red shield security icon popup in the system tray and it informed me Avast had been shut down. However, the orange Avast icon appeared but with a red cross. After about 30 seconds the red cross changed to a yellow exclamation mark and then that cleared to give me the normal orange icon. I guess Avast doesn't like being switched off and overrides the setting. I wondered whether the delay caused to Avast's startup had allowed for a working system. I do always have the "Load avast services only after loading other system services" option enabled in Avast's troubleshooting settings to try and prevent any clashes. (Just out of interest... does that make much of a difference? Avast's system tray icon seems to still be up and running before other apps have finished loading to the system tray regardless of the setting. I always expected the Avast icon to be the last thing to start when that is enabled.)
Once Windows had finished booting, and was running without any apparent issues, I went online and updated to 6.0.1091 and also did the small Comodo update. I then looked at MSConfig again and noticed that Avast was now set to run at startup again even though I had disabled it. So I left it enabled and rebooted the machine to allow the new updates to run cleanly. My system appears to be OK for now. I have not yet tried re-enabling those apps I turned off in MSConfig as I decided to browse this forum to look for clues. I had hoped to spot a known issue with Avast 6.0.1000 and something else but this thread seemed to be the first I had spotted with a similar problem. I am still unsure what the problem is but hoped my problems might help the discussion (if you forgive me for the length of my post).

Any thoughts welcome as to why my system slowed to crawl and why it seems explorer.exe is linked to the problem (in my head anyway). I accept that it could be entirely unrelated though. I should say that I only updated from Avast 5 to 6 recently and my gut tells me that it was around that time I started noticing slow startup issues.
Thanks,
Stu.

sh2811

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 02:06:15 PM »
Forgot to say (!!) /ask... could the new sandbox feature be clashing with the sandbox in comodo's free firewall (both are enabled on my machine at the moment). I suspect that is not the cause of my problems. Comodo's Defense+ is enabled as in safe mode currently.