Author Topic: updates notifications are gone  (Read 39986 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: updates notifications are gone
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 01:42:57 PM »
Although I understand and know the program update scheme, I also think it is NOT working as the user expects. A lot of programs asks for update daily. I know avast has million of users... But also has Microsoft :)
Why should we wait weeks to get a program update popup?
The best things in life are free.

sandeep108

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
Why should we wait weeks to get a program update popup?
And especially when the GUI is 'aware' already that there is an update available and 'ready'.

ady4um

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 05:25:52 PM »
Finally "real" answers :). Not because some of the answers are saying things more or less in the same direction I do. That's not my point, at all.

From my point of view, each and every answer in this topic is correct. There is (almost) no contradiction.

The idea of "starting all over from a clean install" is always tempting. It "seems" to resolve the users' problem. Generally speaking, it does. But in this case in particular, I think it would only temporarily deal with the symptom, not the real problem.

Just to make it clear, my particular system would be updated if only I would "accept the temptation" of manually updating each time.
It seems that I may not have been clear enough in a specific point. I actually was following the releases closely, just as other users mentioned here in this same topic. My particular case is not of a user that did NOT know that a program update was available, although I guess it could have been. Those other cases, if they exist, only mean that other users are simply using older versions of Avast, without knowing of the need / suggestion / recommendation / requirement to update the program.

So, the only difference between my case and all the other users posting here is that I have ( had? ) enough patience so to not click in the manual update possibility, for months.

The only contradiction I have read here, if it could be called as contradiction (but I'm not so sure it can) is that, for the devs to debug this problem, it was suggested (by a user in this same topic) to try manually updating, and only then, maybe someone can help in the debug process.

If I indeed manually update, as all other users do, we can't actually debug the "update notification" problem.

Since we don't really know what's going on, and the current alternative for me is to "clean and start over", I'll manually update first to the current stable version (as I already mentioned before in one of my previous posts in this same topic I'll do, before trying the clean install option yet once again).

If this is actually a "non-issue", and the current stable version has no problem, then I'll see a notification update in my tray area next time a new stable release is published 8).

If, for the next program update (or, say, a couple of weeks later, after the official release), my situation doesn't change, then my HOPE is that several of the users participating here in this topic can refuse the temptation of manually updating, so to actually test the notification function, and really debug it.

In case all other users here will receive the notification in their tray, and I keep "waiting", then I'll understand that the problem is only mine, and I'll do (once again) a clean and complete uninstallation and installation from scratch.

In either case, only THEN I'll set this topic as "resolved". I just wish/hope that "my" problem will disappear together with the program's notification problem, if there is one.

Jack 1000

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 09:44:55 PM »
Since we don't really know what's going on, and the current alternative for me is to "clean and start over", I'll manually update first to the current stable version (as I already mentioned before in one of my previous posts in this same topic I'll do, before trying the clean install option yet once again).

If this is actually a "non-issue", and the current stable version has no problem, then I'll see a notification update in my tray area next time a new stable release is published .

If, for the next program update (or, say, a couple of weeks later, after the official release), my situation doesn't change, then my HOPE is that several of the users participating here in this topic can refuse the temptation of manually updating, so to actually test the notification function, and really debug it.

In case all other users here will receive the notification in their tray, and I keep "waiting", then I'll understand that the problem is only mine, and I'll do (once again) a clean and complete installation and installation from scratch.

In either case, only THEN I'll set this topic as "resolved". I just wish/hope that "my" problem will disappear together with the program's notification problem, if there is one.

Sounds like a good idea!

The more people that try this, the better chance Avast has in researching this topic.

Jack

PS.  Could the OP please send a support ticket about this issue with a link if possible to this particular thread as a part of the support ticket?  Also say in your Support Ticket message that "if the link doesn't work, go to the Community Forums and examine the "Update Notifications Are Gone" topic in the Avast Free/Pro Suite forum."  This will get more tech feedback on this issue.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:53:53 AM by Jack 1000 »

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 09:00:07 AM »
Keep in mind that the last "official" version release was 6.0.1000 (if I'm keeping track correctly), while all the other versions in between were pre-release versions until we got to 6.0.1091.  If you have the settings in the GUI set to "ask" for the program update, you would need to check the GUI for the update, which would appear in red, with the words "update" to the right of it for you to click on it.

Could the OP please send a support ticket about this issue with a link if possible to this particular thread as a part of the support ticket?  Also say in your Support Ticket message that "if the link doesn't work, go to the Community Forums and examine the "Update Notifications Are Gone" topic in the Avast Free/Pro Suite forum."  This will get more tech feedback on this issue.
Avast monitors the forum, so I do not think this is necessary.  Besides, the Evang. on the forum can internally submit messages to the Avast Team.  If the OP wishes to submit a tech. ticket or use the link to contact Avast in a prior post I made, this is up to him.

@ ady4um,

I meant no disrespect in instructing you how to close the thread when you were ready.  I think you misunderstood me and thought you were to close it now, as I know you were not ready to close it now.  You can leave it open forever, but others will continue to add on to it (for years), and only you, the original poster (OP) will be able to close it...when you are ready.  ;)  Continue with the thread as long as you feel you need to.

Edit:  Fix typo
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:28:04 AM by SafeSurf »

Jack 1000

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47:25 PM »
Keep in mind that the last "official" version release was 6.1.000 (if I'm keeping track correctly), while all the other versions in between were pre-release versions until we got to 6.0.1091.  If you have the settings in the GUI set to "ask" for the program update, you would need to check the GUI for the update, which would appear in red, with the words "update" to the right of it for you to click on it.

A little confused,

Isn't the latest official release 6.0.1091?  Which was released like 1-2 weeks ago?  That's the version that the GUI told me about and that I updated to on in the GUI.  I know that Beta's and Release Candidates do not count in offical release builds, so those are always "evaluate and test for bugs models."  It's best to uninstall any Beta builds before applying official builds for best results.

I don't think there is a 6.1 out in general release yet.

I think I am gonna try what the OP suggested.  Not updating through the GUI when the next release comes out just to see how long it takes the New version pop-up notice to show up.  Obviously, this will be contingent on my currently installed version 6.0,1091 working well, whereas the GUI update I would only apply in the event of some bug showing up with this version.  But if all is OK, I am kind of curious myself as to how long it takes between a new release build and the pop-up notification.

It will be a good test for those who want to study this.  Obviously the results are not very scientific with only a small number of us active on the forums.  However, it is a good beginning, and the programmers might be able to use this data to make suggestions and comment about future improvements for the program update notification pop-up as needed.

Jack
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:13:53 PM by Jack 1000 »

ady4um

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 02:04:51 AM »
Quote from: SafeSurf
Keep in mind that the last "official" version release was 6.1.000 (if I'm keeping track correctly), while all the other versions in between were pre-release versions until we got to 6.0.1091.
According to the official version history, 6.1.1091 is an official stable version, not just another "beta" or RC" or "something in between".
As I said, I've been tracking this for several months, and when 6.0.1091 was updated in the official changelog history just a few days after the release, I "knew" it was more than enough time to study this issue for so many official stable updates.
  If you have the settings in the GUI set to "ask" for the program update, you would need to check the GUI for the update, which would appear in red, with the words "update" to the right of it for you to click on it.
Yes, since I (we) have been experiencing this issue, I'll have to update to the current latest stable, but that's not what the meaning of "ask" is. Or were you simply writing the instructions?

For those reading this topic and not completely understanding what's all this about; in this context, "ask" means "don't do program's updates automatically without asking me first, but "ASK" me by showing me a tray notification. The third option available means "change your status, show it in the main UI (if you want to), but don't even think about bothering me with this program updates tray notifications" :) :P Well, of course that all this issue is because I indeed want that tray notification, but it's not being displayed.

For THIS time, I'm going to do it absolutely manually. In fact, I'll always want to do it manually. Just, please, notify me using the tray that there is a new release available, instead of just "saving that news for the UI only" :).

About the bug ticket report, in this particular case I think of this message as my report. I sincerely think that in some situations it is really needed, indispensable; but IMHO I think that Avast Team (or the Evang.) are more than capable of evaluating if this topic is worth a ticket so to track it down.

@ ady4um,

I meant no disrespect in instructing you how to close the thread when you were ready.  I think you misunderstood me and thought you were to close it now, as I know you were not ready to close it now.  You can leave it open forever, but others will continue to add on to it (for years), and only you, the original poster (OP) will be able to close it...when you are ready.  ;)  Continue with the thread as long as you feel you need to.
I did NOT take it as disrespect, and I apologize if I have sounded unappreciative or rude. Please believe my intentions are only good, not to complain or "fight". The discussions are only contributing to users and to Avast. And is more than clear to me that users are only trying to help.

I might have sound not as polite as I would like, maybe/possibly because in the past I also received similar expressions of "clean and start over" and "set this topic as resolved", when no real "solving" was involved.

But, to the point, I certainly will gladly set this topic as resolved if we can crack the issue. It would only mean that my patience all these months was not worthless :) 8).

@Jack1000, I hope there are more users out there taking your steps to collaborate with Avast. I agree that I wouldn't expect simply "waiting" for the notification if there is another more important (security) issue. Thanks for the support, no matter the specific result of our testings.

BTW, an off-topic. Am I the only that has so many problems writing in the message box? After several lines, it keeps moving and I can't see what I'm writing, not to say editing.

Jack 1000

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 02:59:44 AM »
BTW, an off-topic. Am I the only that has so many problems writing in the message box? After several lines, it keeps moving and I can't see what I'm writing, not to say editing.

I got a fix for that!  (At least for IE 8.)  I had the same issues with the "moving reply" box. and just clicked the Compatibility Mode button in IE 8.  Now the box doesn't move like it's haunted! LOL!  ;D

Jack

Bleton

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 01:31:58 AM »
I can confirm the issue with the missing pop-up notifications for new official (not beta) versions of Avast! on several PC's and laptops (all those that I'm working with myself or for customers). The new updates are only available manually on selecting Update -> Program, there seems to be no notification anymore as it used to be. All of these machines are set to "Ask when update is available". The update of the database works fine on all of them.
I didn't wait with the program updates for a couple of months, so I can't judge if a notification would have popped up after many weeks after the release, but notifications were regularly displayed a year ago or so. I'm not quite sure when this started, but it must be a few months now.  ???

Nesivos

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 02:31:10 AM »
Ultimately Pop-up notifications are controlled by Windows regardless of the program.

Maybe the OP has a Windows related problem in this area :o

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 02:37:47 AM »
I can confirm the issue with the missing pop-up notifications for new official (not beta) versions of Avast! on several PC's and laptops (all those that I'm working with myself or for customers). The new updates are only available manually on selecting Update -> Program, there seems to be no notification anymore as it used to be. All of these machines are set to "Ask when update is available".
Even when it is set to automatic, the program does not update... unless I need to wait that much... Meanwhile, the virus definitions are updated, no problem.
Something is different in avast behavior...
The best things in life are free.

Jack 1000

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 02:59:35 AM »
I can confirm the issue with the missing pop-up notifications for new official (not beta) versions of Avast! on several PC's and laptops (all those that I'm working with myself or for customers). The new updates are only available manually on selecting Update -> Program, there seems to be no notification anymore as it used to be. All of these machines are set to "Ask when update is available".
Even when it is set to automatic, the program does not update... unless I need to wait that much... Meanwhile, the virus definitions are updated, no problem.
Something is different in avast behavior...

If this helps anyone in their research,

The last update pop-up notice that I ever got was to go to version 5.1. (From 5.0.something.)  However, for version 6, I have been checking manually, and updating through the GUI.  I mentioned to the OP in this thread, barring a need for a program update due to a bug, I was going to try to hold off on any Avast Program Update Notifications manually, just to see how long it would take between the time the GUI said a new version is ready, and a pop-up notice says it is available.

Jack

ady4um

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »

I got a fix for that!  (At least for IE 8.)  I had the same issues with the "moving reply" box. and just clicked the Compatibility Mode button in IE 8.  Now the box doesn't move like it's haunted! LOL!  ;D

Jack
Jack, thank you for the tip. I am not experiencing the problem with "short" messages, but only with "long" ones. I'm going to try your suggestion next time I see this moving box problem. Thanks again.

ady4um

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 10:39:47 AM »
Ultimately Pop-up notifications are controlled by Windows regardless of the program.

Maybe the OP has a Windows related problem in this area :o

It seems it is not "just my problem", but it is being recognized by several other users too.

So, in case we have a problem with our Windows settings, could you please point us to the appropriate setting that could potentially change the notifications behaviour?

In other words, could you explain what exactly you meant with "notifications are controlled by Windows regardless of the program"?

TIA.

Jack 1000

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 06:16:06 AM »
OT: Jack, thank you for the tip. I am not experiencing the problem with "short" messages, but only with "long" ones. I'm going to try your suggestion next time I see this moving box problem. Thanks again.

OT

Sure,

One thing however that you want to do is click the Compatibility Mode button in IE 8, BEFORE you type your message.  If you do it during the typing of your message, you will lose the message when IE switches to Compatibility Mode for the web page you are viewing.

To continue with the OP, what do you guys all think about the issue that many are having that Avast Program Update Pop-Up notifications have not been showing up for many users, even after a long time when a new version is ready in the GUI?

Jack