Author Topic: updates notifications are gone  (Read 39915 times)

ady4um

Re: updates notifications are gone
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2011, 03:08:24 AM »
Since Igor is one of the senior avast developers, if he doesn't know or have access to someone that know the avast update cycle then I don't know who does. So I think his conclusion is likely to be pretty accurate.

Whilst not wishing to put words into his mouth. He is saying that because this update cycle is variable to spread server load there really is no way to tell if someone has missed the update notification or they simply haven't received it yet; not that they won't get it at some point in the extended update cycle.

The problem is NOT the knowledge of the cycle.

@Igor, please, please, please understand that the specific cycle has nothing to do with the discrepancies.

AFTER the main GUI already knows about the program update, AND AFTER the user is receiving program update tray notifications, the displayed behaviour is not the same when you compare different users.

This is only one symptom of several months of delayed program update tray notifications. We are not talking about a couple of weeks and not even one month. There are many unacceptable/illogical delays, and after the notification finally shows up, the behaviour is different among different users.

jrukim

« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2011, 10:34:31 PM »
Just now, after the start of this issue, I received the first blue notification advising that there is a program update to  DL. Running now version 6.0.1125

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »
Just now, after the start of this issue, I received the first blue notification advising that there is a program update to  DL. Running now version 6.0.1125
Congratulations!
I'm generally very fast on program updating and do not leave a chance to avast to "release" it for me ;D
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2011, 03:38:30 AM »
Just now, after the start of this issue, I received the first blue notification advising that there is a program update to DL. Running now version 6.0.1125

After months of not receiving any of those "blue" (program update) tray notifications, that happened recently to me too.

But in the past (last year), when the database was also updated, I used to receive both tray notifications simultaneously. Now, even when I double checked that the database is also simultaneously updated, I only receive the program update tray notification, not the database update tray notification.

My settings were and are the same in any of these cases, so I don't see the reason to these different behaviours.

@Tech, it could be useful if, for the next (alpha/beta/RC/stable)release, you have it set to "ask" and the Status Bar to monitor program updates, and wait for it to show up. A test from a frequent user could be helpful.

Dch48

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2011, 03:42:45 AM »
We got the notice in the Vista box a week ago, but still well after the update was available through the GUI.

snarky

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2011, 03:47:26 AM »
Wow...  I just opened the avast! interface for the first time in weeks (months?), and here I see I'm running version 5.1.889, while version 6.0.1125 is available.  And it seems an update has been available for ... weeks!  I guess I'll just have to remove and reinstall.  Nah.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2011, 03:58:00 AM »
Wow...  I just opened the avast! interface for the first time in weeks (months?), and here I see I'm running version 5.1.889, while version 6.0.1125 is available.  And it seems an update has been available for ... weeks!  I guess I'll just have to remove and reinstall.  Nah.
It won't hurt the installation from scratch.
Sad to know that you haven't got the update notify... Maybe it happens when you're not in front of the computer... But it should be repeated afterwards. Indeed something seems fishy with the update notification.
The best things in life are free.

snarky

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2011, 03:59:54 AM »
It will hurt...  Because I have every nook and cranny of avast! configured including lots of exclusions and whatnot and I really really really HATE reconfiguring everything.  I've updated and for now I won't worry about it.

ady4um

« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2011, 05:21:04 AM »

Thank you for reporting.

@Avast Team, this is exactly what I've been talking about!!! :

millions of Avast users not opening their GUIs, and not following closely the program releases, which is perfectly understandable and acceptable from the users' point of view.

Once a user configures Avast to either "automatic program updates" or the default "ask, with Status Bar Monitoring activated", there is no reason for this case/delay to happen.

I hope the only comment from Vlk about this issue (made in another topic), stating that program update tray notifications will get to all users by 2011JUL11 actually means that this is not going to happen in the future anymore. Since no real clarification was made, I don't really know.

Whichever the case, the discrepancies AFTER the first program update tray notification shows up are still there and they have NOTHING to do with the distribution cycle.

ady4um

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2011, 05:40:25 AM »
Maybe it happens when you're not in front of the computer... But it should be repeated afterwards. Indeed something seems fishy with the update notification.

Tech, I can assure you that the program update tray notification can't be "not seen". A user "may" not see it the first time, but it indeed comes up every 4 hours after that first time in such a case.

Moreover, there were more than 1 stable releases after 5.1.889 until 1125. It is very improbable that users won't see any program update tray notifications for "so many" program updates.

It is more probable that not all Avast Servers activated the program update tray notifications for all users. My guess is that this is not so much related to servers capacity (to answer so many requests for program updates), but it might be more related to make some kind of "stepping" in testing the several "stable" releases and new features.

Even users that configure Avast to update their program automatically are discovering that Avast has NOT been updated for several releases.

Once again, AFTER the first program update tray notification finally shows up, there are still discrepancies reported by users.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2011, 03:06:53 PM »
No uninstalling needed. Simply use the update program function in the avast! UI or right click the
avast! ball in your system tray and select update then program.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Jack 1000

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2011, 03:17:26 AM »
A possible explanation for the long program update delays:

Last year, when the world was on Avast 5, there was a rapid pop-up notice update in the system tray only about 2-3 days AFTER version 5.1.899 was released.  There were several problems with this build, which you can read about here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69472.0

So it is possible that Avast is being very, very slow with version 6 updates because of the reasons in that thread.  They may have postponed version update pop-up notices for let's say several months or more, just to make absolutely sure, or as close to sure as possible (nothing is totally for sure with any software) that when that system notification goes out, that 95% or more should be ready to receive that update without issues.  I think there is good reasoning behind this.

Jack

ady4um

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2011, 01:53:16 AM »
A possible explanation for the long program update delays:

Last year, when the world was on Avast 5, there was a rapid pop-up notice update in the system tray only about 2-3 days AFTER version 5.1.899 was released.  There were several problems with this build, which you can read about here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69472.0

So it is possible that Avast is being very, very slow with version 6 updates because of the reasons in that thread.  They may have postponed version update pop-up notices for let's say several months or more, just to make absolutely sure, or as close to sure as possible (nothing is totally for sure with any software) that when that system notification goes out, that 95% or more should be ready to receive that update without issues.  I think there is good reasoning behind this.

Jack

Jack, thank you for your interest on this issue, even after several days/weeks of "discussing" it, and several months of strange behaviours corroborated by several users, including frequent forum users.

The bottom line is that now is AVAST TEAM that has to do the "real" work. Some users have reported their problems and discrepancies. Some other users are disregarding the issue, simply because "it works for them". Sadly, some users have been more dedicated to trash the relevant topics.

The timing, the cycle, the frequency... Whatever users would like to call it, does not explain the remaining discrepancies.

Avast Team has not really explained the issue. Your "guess" might be correct, and more or less the same concepts have been already written, without any actual confirmation.

That leaves us (Avast's) users with the "hope" that after 2011JUL11, the tray notifications issues will be completely resolved and not come back.

Unfortunately, the "delays" on tray notifications, whether your assumption is correct or not, can NOT explain the current discrepancies. They are clearly still present even after the program update tray notification is displayed for the availability of the current stable version 6.0.1125.

Whether these discrepancies will continue in the next months and releases, or they will be resolved also by 2011JUL11, together with the tray notification delays, it is YET to be seen.

By now, one can only hope.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2011, 02:47:15 AM »
And continue checking the UI for a possible program update.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

ady4um

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2011, 04:35:19 AM »
And continue checking the UI for a possible program update.  :)

Bob, that's the easy part, IF the user is doing that or coming to the forum once in awhile.

The reports in this topic show that even some of those type of users are not seeing the program updates, at least for several months.

Millions of users install Avast (or any security software for that matter), and "forget about it". A user who concentrates on the "actual" work instead of the "maintenance", is a valid point of view.

The main advantage (for both, users and Avast) of having Avast Free available for personal use, is that it is harder for a malware to spread "if the normal user is protected and informed", making the work of security tools easier.

The real problem of the delays is not the case you mention. The real problem is those millions not checking the GUI.

But, let's assume that on 2011JUL11 (according to Vlk), indeed all program updates are at least "announced" (in tray notifications) or automatically applied, according to the settings. Currently, the reported discrepancies are still there, independently of the notification cycle.

So, the two important points are:

_ that there is a big percentage of users not opening the GUI (hence not having their program up-to-date, YET); and,

_ that even once the program update notification finally arrives, while having the same settings, for different users the behaviour is NOT the same.

Those are TWO different issues, and we only "know" (to use "some" verb) about the first one hopefully being taken care (after months) by 2011JUL11. The second is also/only in the hands of AVAST TEAM.

While the first issue is certainly a disappointment, specially for users with "automatic" program updates not being applied (partially losing the Avast Free advantage mentioned before), the second issue has NO actual public answer/discussion whatsoever, and most frequent (forum) users are simply taking your easy path, so not enough reports about it are being gathered. While considering those million of simple users (and ultimately, all Avast's users), I only can hope.