Author Topic: "urgent-avast! ervice stopped"  (Read 4100 times)

cid73

"urgent-avast! ervice stopped"
« on: April 24, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »
my avast has stopped working and will not uptdate.  when I try to start the program from the "current status" menu, the run icon comes on for a few seconds, then goes out, with nothing happening.
I cannot update to the current version, 6.0.6002.  I am a paid subscriber to Pro.
help! thanks.

Hermite15

Re: "urgent-avast! ervice stopped"
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »
6.0.6002 has never existed >>> current version is 6.0.1091

cid73

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »
my mistake. meant that as version of Vista on my computer.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 10:32:39 PM »
1 first download, update, and do a quick scan with mbam:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
... and tell us about the output.

2 if nothing was detected, attempt a repair from the uninstall menu of Avast, reboot. If that doesn't work, re-install from scratch.

cid73

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:20:33 PM »
I found two malicious:  Adwave.MyWebSearch and Trojan.Agent.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:20:48 AM »
The Adware.MyWebSearch, really is a very low key issue that I doubt has anything to do with the service being stopped, but allow MBAM to remove it.

What errors are you getting when you try to update ?

What avast pro version do you have installed at present ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cid73

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 02:03:19 AM »
my avast version is 5.0.889.
I get "the avast! antivirus program has stopped, or is in an inconsistent starte.  please restart the program to resum protecting your system." when in the Current Status seciton
when trying to update the engine and virus def, I get "failed to update.  the avast!service is not running".
thank you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 02:07:18 AM »
I get "the avast! antivirus program has stopped, or is in an inconsistent starte.  please restart the program to resum protecting your system." when in the Current Status seciton
when trying to update the engine and virus def, I get "failed to update.  the avast!service is not running".
thank you.
have you tried avast repair and reboot ?

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

why not update to latest version 6.0.1091 http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76488.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 02:57:38 AM »
thank you.

OK, I suggest that you do a clean install of avast pro 6.0.1091. Though your old 5.0.889 license may not work as avast 6.0 uses a license file license.avastlic, if you haven't got one of those, but an old license number, that can be updated if it is still valid.

Resend avast License http://www.avast.com/resend-license.v2.php, you will need to enter the email that you used when purchasing the license, e.g. the one that the original email with the link was sent.

If that doesn't send you an email with a license.avastlic attachment or a link to download the license file, you will need to contact sales (at) avast (dot) com and ask to have the remainder of your avast 5 license converted for avast 6.

~~~~
- Download the latest version of avast pro, 6.0.1091 using the link Pondus gave and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 5.x and 6.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 5.x if previously installed and then for 6.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cid73

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 03:30:45 AM »
Thank you, POndus and David R!  your recommendations worked.  i have downloaded and the latest version of avast Pro is now running successfully. thank you, again.

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:27:56 AM »
Now that you got Avast to run successfully, I suggest that you make sure your definitions are up to date, run a Full scan and a boot time scan to check for malware. 

If you already have not done so, update MBAM and run another Quick scan (you need to update MBAM prior to every scan) but make sure you quarantine any infection MBAM finds.

Let us know if you come out clean or with an infection.  Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 12:57:30 PM »
Thank you, POndus and David R!  your recommendations worked.  i have downloaded and the latest version of avast Pro is now running successfully. thank you, again.

No problem, glad I could help.