Author Topic: avast and Windows 7 System Restore  (Read 49056 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
avast and Windows 7 System Restore
« on: April 25, 2011, 03:13:37 AM »
I've tried 4 restore points and I could never restore any of them.
Microsoft says it is the antivirus which is blocking the restore.
Disabling avast until reboot does not work.
Disabling self defense module does not work.

Can anyone tell me exactly what is going on?
Is avast incompatible with Windows System Restore?

(Please, do NOT discuss Windows System Restore itself)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DraKuL

Re: avast and Windows 7 System Restore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 04:00:38 AM »
If it helps, with AIS 6.0.100 I managed to restore successfully, havent tried it with the new version yet..
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:52:13 AM »
I used system restore yesterday because i deleted a driver that i thought i didn't need and it worked fine with the latest version of avast.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »
yeah I didn't need to restore my system recently but I've been there before: can be hell, even impossible to restore a system when Avast is installed. Seems to work better in safe mode.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:28:20 AM »
Its not only avast it happens with other AV also.. I have also tried system restore with other AV before but no success...

Thanks
Ash
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 10:50:03 AM »
that's right, it happens with other security suites too.

jrace

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 02:54:34 PM »
Since I'm "fooling around" quite a lot with my machine I am using the win7 restore point frequently (about twice a week).
So far I never experienced any difficulties with restore points at all. Everything is working as advertised.
The only thing I regularly do is some "housekeeping" by killing selected not needed restore points comfortably with "CCleaner" when the list is becoming too long.
This statement is true for all AVAST!FREE versions including beta or pre-release builds.

PS:
About half a year ago I had massive problems with restore points and also Win-Recovery-Environment. The reason for that was some corrupted data in BCD which were just pointing nowhere. After repair everything was working normal and reliably.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:14:01 PM by jrace »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 03:49:50 PM »
It's not reliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

sded

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »
I haven't been having any restore problems.  How many restore points do you keep around?  I do an image weekly, and as part of that use Microsoft Disk Cleanup to delete all but the latest restore point, so things are pretty clean.  I also note from looking within System Volume Information that "C:\System Volume Information\SystemRestore\FRStaging\## aswSnx private storage" is there, so maybe heavy use of sandboxing could be a factor?

jrace

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 04:14:47 PM »

Another suggestion for you, Tech:
May be the diskspace for restore points on your system is too small (I had that problem also some time ago). Just go to "System Properties" and hit the tab "Computer Protection". There you can adjust the space reserved for restore points and give it at least 10% of your disk space for every partition.
A common thing with windows is also:
If you try to restore a point which is let's say the 10th oldest in the list, sometimes it's not even available anymore although it is listed!

If that does not help I've got no further idea about your problem.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:21:25 PM by jrace »

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 04:19:28 PM »

May be the diskspace for restore points on your system is too small (I had that problem also some time ago). Just go to "System Properties" and hit the tab "Computer Protection". There you can adjust the space reserved for restore points and give it at least 10% of your disk space for every partition.
If you try to restore a point which is let's say the 10th oldest in the list, sometimes it's not even available anymore although it is listed!

No I am damn sure its because of an antivirus.... Earlier I used Quick Heal Total Security and had same problem when i removed the problem solved
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

jrace

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 04:24:58 PM »

No I am damn sure its because of an antivirus.... Earlier I used Quick Heal Total Security and had same problem when i removed the problem solved

That really is "a good step forward"! ;D ;D ;D

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 04:32:22 PM »
main issues with Avast and system restore are:

1 the self-defense module
2 the behavior shield

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »
Although it's listed? I don't think Microsoft would make such a mistake... It's unbelievable.
I'm not running out of space. The WSR runs at maximum capacity. The restore points that fail are three days ago...

jrace

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 05:19:21 PM »
Although it's listed? I don't think Microsoft would make such a mistake... It's unbelievable.
I'm not running out of space. The WSR runs at maximum capacity. The restore points that fail are three days ago...

I would never claim Microsoft did a mistake but my system does it and there are some others who experienced this.