Author Topic: avast and Windows 7 System Restore  (Read 49047 times)

Hermite15

Re: avast and Windows 7 System Restore
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »
confirming, the older restore points are, the less chance you got that restoring will succeed.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 06:04:19 PM »
confirming, the older restore points are, the less chance you got that restoring will succeed.

If you set them to max (also see Reply #9) on any newer HD, there shouldn't be a problem.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Hermite15

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 06:08:26 PM »

If you set them to max (also see Reply #) on any newer HD, there shouldn't be a problem.

nothing to do with reserved disk space, it just happens that old restore points are not relevant enough for the system to be restored using them.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 06:19:16 PM »
nothing to do with reserved disk space, it just happens that old restore points are not relevant enough for the system to be restored using them.

It has, but could be it was a misunderstanding with what you meant...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 12:14:04 AM »
The problem is that, sometimes, avast is being accused by Microsoft as being culprit of the fail.
Does avast team have anything to say?
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 12:23:40 AM »
I have never used a restore point so I keep my disk usage for it at 1%. I never have more than 4 available. I think that should be more than sufficient.

I have read though that there can be problems with many AV's when trying to use a restore point. It seems to stem from trying to reinstall an older signature database. I remember there being some mention of it in Comodo's forums.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 12:55:08 AM »
It seems to stem from trying to reinstall an older signature database. I remember there being some mention of it in Comodo's forums.
So, there is an incompatibility with antivirus programs? Disable is not enough?

YoKenny

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 01:09:45 AM »
It seems to stem from trying to reinstall an older signature database. I remember there being some mention of it in Comodo's forums.
I have never needed to use Windows 7 System Restore but it does save a backup every Tuesday morning and selected
Keep only the latest system image and minimize space used by backup

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 01:15:42 AM »
Again, the discussion is NOT about Windows System Restore or backups but about avast team come here and say something WHY WINDOWS SYSTEM RESTORE DOES NOT WORK WITH AVAST ALL THE TIME...

YoKenny

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 01:32:08 AM »
Again, the discussion is NOT about Windows System Restore or backups but about avast team come here and say something WHY WINDOWS SYSTEM RESTORE DOES NOT WORK WITH AVAST ALL THE TIME...
You know the avast! team better than me so you need to contact them.

Nesivos

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 01:57:23 AM »
I did a Windows Registry Restore with AIS and the Windows Restore screwed up AIS. :o :o

I was able to fix it.

After that I stopped using the Windows Registry Restore and have only used A full Windows Restore which includes a restore of the System Image.  I had no problem with that.  Everything went smoothly :) :)

Conclusion:  I think that there could be some conflict between Avast AIS and Windows Registry Restore.  I have no idea what it could be or even guess what it is. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:59:35 AM by Nesivos »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 02:40:56 AM »
You know the avast! team better than me so you need to contact them.
I am contacting them. Don't they read the forums?

Dch48

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 04:25:36 AM »
I'm not quite sure if the problem was with the definitions or with the file that stores the scan data. Now that I think of it, the problem at Comodo was from the sfi.dat file that stored the data about what had been scanned before. Like the persistent cache that Avast has. It was locked and would not allow system restore to go back to an earlier dated version of it so the restore attempts would fail.

homedog

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 04:35:53 AM »
Tech,

I had the same problem when trying to fix a problem a little over a month ago.  I could not restore to any prior date.  I had done restores multiple times, with Avast installed, with no problems.  Threads below might help....maybe...no idea if that was the problem with restore but it was a BIG problem.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76974.0

homedog

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:43 AM »
here is the other thread  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76974.0

One other thing I noticed when the computer slow-down problems started was tht the Cleaner function of CCleaner was not finding near as many files to delete.  Once getting rid of the Alureon problem, the file size that was found went back (up) to what I was seeing before.