Author Topic: Updated Avast, now I get a "Unauthorized Windows Change" error  (Read 21914 times)

nokomis

Re: Updated Avast, now I get a "Unauthorized Windows Change" error
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »
Here is a screen shot of the message that now displays now and then:
Going to the links it gives doesn't really take me anywhere and I ran a Genuine Windows diagnostic and it shows my version is genuine (came with my Dell Inspiron 530). I wonder if there's a bug in one of the recent Avast updates that could be causing this problem.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:21:01 PM by nokomis »

farawayjay

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 07:02:12 AM »
OK, I was having this same problem after the last Avast update -- suddenly, Vista got validation errors. This is a Vista copy without Support pack 2 installed.

Microsoft said this was definitely Avast's problem, and to uninstall Avast:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/e2f066b3-2517-41bc-8fad-4c036f2f4ac8

I did so, and the validation errors ended. Something in Avast's update triggers the messages.

The Microsoft post says that Avast is "in denial" on this issue and "does not appear to be doing anything about it." I hope that by sharing my experience, Avast can get this issue resolved.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 07:35:24 AM »
I wonder how many of the users experiencing this issue are not using SP2 with Vista.
That would appear to be something to try.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

nokomis

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 07:41:39 PM »
I know I'm not using SP 2 and after a couple of weeks of not getting the error, it came back today.

mayday99

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 02:08:22 AM »
Another one. Vista x64 Ultimate. Avast upgraded itself from 5.1.889. If I do I system restore to before the upgrade everything is OK. Once it upgrades itself problem is back. Nothing else was changed on the PC. BTW, those of you saying you stayed on an older version, how did you do that ? My update settings are "ask first", but Avast does the upgrade without asking, and THEN tells me. Did you switch to manual ?
I have the default installations of the free versions of Anti-Malware and Superantyspyware, and no, I am not uninstalling them.
Anyway, I switched to another product (for now), no time for playing games.

While I am not a big proponent of MS, and have been a user of Avast for a long time, I have to agree with MS on this. All I see here is ;we don't know what is happening, but we know for sure it is not us. It is everybody else. "Uninstall all other programs, reboot your PC, reinstall Avast, jiggle your cables, and wiggle your ears".

How about Avast doing something about it ?

Isn't it time for Avast to take this seriously, instead of loosing the trust of users earned over the years ?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 02:25:42 AM »
mayday99, what service pack is installed on your OS?

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »
Yes something is up for sure. Last weekend I was at a friends house and since I maintain his PC's I noticed his Windows 7 64 bit sp1 laptop was still running Avast 5.1 Free. I updated it to 6.0.1125 though the GUI. Once complete I rebooted the PC and received the "Unauthorized Windows Change" error. I had limited time but did try to reactivate windows but it was a no go. I attempted a system restore but it failed. I hope to get back to it this weekend. Hope to god I do not need to reload the OS. This really needs fixing ASAP!

Bill   
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

nokomis

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 01:47:33 AM »
When that "unauthorized change to windows" error first started showing, and after lots of troubleshooting, I too did a system restore and the problem persists. I wish Avast would get to the bottom of this and soon!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 02:12:24 AM »
What have you got against updating the service pack on Vista, nokomis?

(If you did this, I'd be inclined to download the service pack, or both service packs, the Avast uninstall utility, the Avast installation file, and save them, then go offline, remove Avast, install each service pack, rebooting in between, then install Avast again and go back online. That's how I'd proceed, anyway.)

nokomis

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 02:14:57 AM »
Been there, done that.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 03:52:02 AM »
So you have SP2 installed? One of your posts above states the opposite.

nokomis

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 04:06:45 AM »
Yes, I have SP 2 installed.

SafeSurf

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 06:30:02 AM »
@ nokomis,

Do you have genuine Windows installed on your machine?

farawayjay

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 07:04:19 AM »
I should note that in my case, I never could complete a successful update to SP2 while the Validation issue was ongoing. It limited the functionality somehow, and the update never took. Once Avast was removed, the Validation problem ended and the SP2 install worked.

I am reluctant to reload Avast until I hear authoritatively that it is a Vista-without-SP2 problem only.

(And yes, my copy was genuine -- came with the computer.)

SafeSurf

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 07:30:12 AM »
I have sent a message to the Avast Team to see if  they are aware of the issue and to look at this thread.  Thank you.