Author Topic: Updated Avast, now I get a "Unauthorized Windows Change" error  (Read 21961 times)

urlnts

Re: Updated Avast, now I get a "Unauthorized Windows Change" error
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »
I also keep getting this same message,if I turn off auto updates for virus definitions it stops!I have a problem with my Dell Laptop,Media Direct  and Windows,SO I cannot update to Vista Sp2!!!Why can't you just allow for virus definition   updates to be done manually without all of the cautions or come back with a fix,this is a fairly new problem?

nokomis

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 01:58:01 AM »
Yes, SafeSurf, I ran a check on my Windows and it is Genuine (came installed on my Dell Inspiron 530 desktop in 2008)

SafeSurf

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »
<snip> Why can't you just allow for virus definition   updates to be done manually without all of the cautions or come back with a fix,this is a fairly new problem?
I am not employed by Avast; I am a volunteer and user just like you.  However MS has acknowledged that Vista with <SP2 can have problems, therefore we are recommending that you update to SP2.

@ urlnts,

I suggest you submit a mini-dump file to Avast:

Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.

Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server and name it uniquely giving us the name of the file in this thread: ftp.avast.com/incoming.  Avast will analyze it and respond back to you in this thread.

If having difficulty with dump file:

-   Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder, so you won't be able to see it once uploaded.
Or
-   Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this:
     and drag the file into the window, from another explorer window.

@ nokomis,

Thank you for your [kind] reply.   You can also, if you like, submit a mini-dump if you like, however please see my quote below.  Since there are other users with the same issue, Avast will need to look into this matter.  Thank you.

I have sent a message to the Avast Team to see if  they are aware of the issue and to look at this thread.

rmambour

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 08:10:12 AM »
I have the same problem since a week, after installation of free avast, I suppose last version..
Vista 32bits was running fine since 3 Years, with GData anti-virus.
Last night I removed AVast and rinstall GData, and this moring no problem anymore...
I checked and found no virus...So I suppose that the probklem was AVAST...

Offline MuuGi

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 12:54:21 PM »
I got the same error, stating that my windows is not registered and I should validate it again, when I updated my Avast 5 to new 6.0.1125 on my Windows 7 64bit. After I got that error, I booted my computer and haven't got this problem anymore after that.
Strange one indeed.

frickaline

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »
I have this issue as well and I found this on Microsoft's site:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/E2F066B3-2517-41BC-8FAD-4C036F2F4AC8

The only known solution currently is to uninstall Avast! completely, and run their removal tool as well, then validate the system again, and install an alternative (free or paid-for) Anti-Virus solution.
Note that the majority of cases appear to be in systems where Vista has not been updated to Service Pack 2 - which may or may not have anything to do with the problem, but should be rectified by the user as soon as possible.

Avast! appear to be in denial about the situation - and do not appear to be doing anything about it.

:-\

C'mon guys, what gives?

joffenb

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 02:24:32 AM »
Trying to troubleshoot a laptop for a friend, and ended up cloning the HD and doing a recovery from the recover partition.  Put freshly downloaded copy of AVAST free on and when Vista Home Premium x64 did it's updates, they failed, and then the system gave the "Unauthorized Windows Change" (UWC) error limiting me to only a browser.  In an effort to eliminate hardware, I downloaded a fresh copy of Vista Home Premium x64 from Technet, reformatted, and installed.  With AVAST Free installed, same thing.  Rebooted in safe mode, removed avast, system booted normally.  Version of Vista was with SP1 and latest try died while trying to install 111 updates (failed then gave me the UWC error.  Definitely looks like something AVAST has done in the last week or so is causing a problem with Vista.  Research on Microsoft's forums confirmed it as a problem and stated that AVAST "could not duplicate the problem"...  AVAST - try the above scenario and you should be able to produce the problem...  The situation doesn't seem to affect XP or Windows 7 machines that I have seen or heard of.

p.s.  Did not have to revalidate - System just came up validated after removing AVAST in safe mode...

plebby

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 04:55:31 AM »
As far as I'm concerened it is Avast that is causing the problem so no point burying ones head in the sand and hoping it will go away. I never had this problem until I installed the new version of Avast (free) but ever since I got the unauthorised change warning, a reboot sometimes two or three times, did help it but even when surfing the internet the warning would pop up. I also found that it locked me out of my control panel and started interfering with my connection to the internet. I have since moved on and uninstalled Avast, using another brand free antivirus programme and guess what?. After a month I've never had the problem again. Speaks volumes.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 05:23:15 AM »
As far as I'm concerened it is Avast that is causing the problem so no point burying ones head in the sand and hoping it will go away. I never had this problem until I installed the new version of Avast (free) but ever since I got the unauthorised change warning, a reboot sometimes two or three times, did help it but even when surfing the internet the warning would pop up. I also found that it locked me out of my control panel and started interfering with my connection to the internet. I have since moved on and uninstalled Avast, using another brand free antivirus programme and guess what?. After a month I've never had the problem again. Speaks volumes.

I haven't seen it myself but this problem happens with non-updated Vista and avast! 6.
Latest release http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81028.0 is supposed to have fixed it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:24:46 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25