Author Topic: Full Scan (scheduled) doesnt do anything but scan  (Read 3933 times)

crnicholls

Full Scan (scheduled) doesnt do anything but scan
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:31:19 AM »
Hi I just recently reinstalled Avast after not using it for a while, I have the latest updates. I set the program to scan all files in a scheduled scan (weekly)  and it seems to do that just fine, but when it comes to reporting the outcome, it doesnt show that it did anything other than scan.
There were several "infected files" and it reports those files as being infected but it never shows what it did with the file, whether it stored them or fixed them or deleted them, it just shows a list of infected files. If I try to click on a file and do anything with it, it does nothing as if all options are greyed out.

How do I know that it actually is doing what it is supposed to do?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Full Scan (scheduled) doesnt do anything but scan
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:36:58 AM »
Hi I just recently reinstalled Avast after not using it for a while, I have the latest updates. I set the program to scan all files in a scheduled scan (weekly)  and it seems to do that just fine, but when it comes to reporting the outcome, it doesnt show that it did anything other than scan.
There were several "infected files" and it reports those files as being infected but it never shows what it did with the file, whether it stored them or fixed them or deleted them, it just shows a list of infected files. If I try to click on a file and do anything with it, it does nothing as if all options are greyed out.

Hi crnicholls and welcome to the forum.
Which version/product of Avast are you using?
What OS?
Have you checked the 'Virus Chest'?
Any files listed there?

crnicholls

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 04:36:28 AM »

Hi crnicholls and welcome to the forum.
Which version/product of Avast are you using?
What OS?
Have you checked the 'Virus Chest'?
Any files listed there?

Hi and thank you, I am using Win 7 home premium.

Avast Ver 7.0.1466
Def ver 120909-0
There is nothing in the chest which makes me further wonder if it's actually doing anything.

Oh when i search for scan results this is what I get

Notice that it has Delete in the options but apply is greyed out as if it is blocked as an option, but it does not say that the threat had already been deleted either. So basically my point is that I wish it would tell me if the threat had already been removed or not instead of just sitting there as if waiting for me to do something.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:19:38 AM by crnicholls »

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:07:23 AM »
It seems you have a custom scan with scanning the memory. Disable this option because it's useless! The detections are signatures from your Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Read this explanation from craigb: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=102426.msg820208#msg820208

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 08:14:41 AM »
Notice that it has Delete in the options but apply is greyed out as if it is blocked as an option, but it does not say that the threat had already been deleted either
detection in memory ....it is not a file, so it cant be deleted /cleaned /moved   

anyway this is a result of playing with the scan settings and not knowing the result of it...

the memory scan issue has been an issue in here a million time ...search the forum

unless you have some special need or know something the avast guys do not know, use the default quick/full scan with default scan settings

it is not necessary to scan evry file. you also have a antivirus with realtime monitoring that runs in the background 24/7 when the comp is on, meaning every file that moves in the computer when it is on will be scanned

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:29:15 AM by Pondus »

crnicholls

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:49:36 AM »
It seems you have a custom scan with scanning the memory. Disable this option because it's useless! The detections are signatures from your Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Read this explanation from craigb: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=102426.msg820208#msg820208

DJBone

Thanks DJ, IF I can find whee to disable it, I will. So far though i don't see a place to disable that.

Notice that it has Delete in the options but apply is greyed out as if it is blocked as an option, but it does not say that the threat had already been deleted either
detection in memory ....it is not a file, so it cant be deleted /cleaned /moved   

anyway this is a result of playing with the scan settings and not knowing the result of it...

the memory scan issue has been an issue in here a million time ...search the forum

unless you have some special need or know something the avast guys do not know, use the default quick/full scan with default scan settings

it is not necessary to scan evry file. you also have a antivirus with realtime monitoring that runs in the background 24/7 when the comp is on, meaning every file that moves in the computer when it is on will be scanned

Pondus I did search the forum for the issue I WAS HAVING. I did not know that it was a memory issue, that is why I am asking these questions. The specific wording or problem i was having was not found.  Since as you say i don't know the program all that well, I then have to learn it don't I?
Please do not try insulting people just because they don't know the program as well as you, Thank you.
Thank you also for telling me that it does indeed scan every file that is installed/changed/moved that at least is good to know.
I like scanning every file simply because there have been times where I didn't that i got a virus/trojan that seriously compromised the computer.

Can someone please tell me where to remove the custom scans that I set up? there is a duplicate in there because i did not see the first one in the list that I had set up so i thought that it had not taken, thank you.

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:02:20 AM »

DJBone

Thanks DJ, IF I can find whee to disable it, I will. So far though i don't see a place to disable that.
Open avast --> Scan computer --> click on more details for the custom scan you want to edit --> delete "Memory" in the Scan Areas --> click OK
I would suggest you to use the default "Full system scan" and not a custom scan.

DJBone

crnicholls

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »

DJBone

Open avast --> Scan computer --> click on more details for the custom scan you want to edit --> delete "Memory" in the Scan Areas --> click OK
I would suggest you to use the default "Full system scan" and not a custom scan.

DJBone

Thanks DJ. Oddly enough the main scan that Avast does, says that it scans memory, and there is no way to turn that off lol. It's all greyed out, but at least it's only once a week :)

Thanks again

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:09:16 AM »
Thanks DJ. Oddly enough the main scan that Avast does, says that it scans memory, and there is no way to turn that off lol. It's all greyed out, but at least it's only once a week :)

Thanks again
You're welcome!
The memory scan in the predefinied full scan seems to be different from the custom memory scan.

DJBone