Author Topic: Web Shield exclusions don't work during downloads  (Read 8150 times)

JohnnyBob

Web Shield exclusions don't work during downloads
« on: April 27, 2011, 07:52:38 AM »
Adding an URL to be excluded from Web Shield scanning doesn't work during a download.

For example, try to download one of the big .emd data files at http://tablebase.sesse.net/3+3/ which will give you plenty of time to monitor your avast processes. (Don't worry, those are totally innocuous database files used in the game of chess.) You'll see that the Avast processes are active, slowing down the download, as well as slowing other computer processes by sucking off processor time. Now add that URL as an exclusion to the Web Shield, and you'll see that it has no effect whatsoever.

Only disabling the Web Shield stops it from interfering during downloads from the internet. At least that's what happens on my computer.

JohnnyBob

Re: Web Shield exclusions don't work during downloads
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 02:11:42 PM »
(P.S. No, I will *NOT* disable my ZoneAlarm firewall! I hear that avast may cause a conflict, but that's unacceptable. It's up to avast to make itself compatible if it wants my support and usage.)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 02:27:41 PM »
What exactly did you put into the list of exclusions?

JohnnyBob

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »
I don't remember exactly. I tried several variations, including the URL exactly as given above:
http://tablebase.sesse.net/3+3/
and with some wildcards like
*sesse.net*
I also tried entering the file extension being downloaded:
*.emd

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 02:55:15 PM »
Well, http://tablebase.sesse.net/3+3/ certainly won't have any effect - it has to be at least
http://tablebase.sesse.net/3+3/*

The other ones should work (and they do work for me, even though the CPU usage is so small that it's kinda hard to distinguish).
How much CPU does your AvastSvc.exe process use during the download?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:02:27 PM by igor »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 03:40:24 PM »
Look at his sig: AMD AthlonXP2400+ 2GHz

So it's not the newest of all CPUs...
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

JohnnyBob

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 04:18:10 PM »
True. It's 7 years old, and I push it to the limit. I'm normally running apps to use 99% of processor time. One important app that is usually running needs to have 90%+ of processor time available to work well. The avast processes in Web Shield only use about 5-10% of processor time during a download from the internet, but that's too much for me.

I'll test the other Exclusion entry format with a wildcard * at the end, as you suggested, after awhile... I need to wait for a big download to complete first, which I don't want to interrupt.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 04:49:47 PM »
Well, that's gonna have to wait for awhile longer, til have a chance to reboot, then I expect things will return to normal(?). My computer now refuses to connect to anything if the avast Web Shield is turned on. No email, no websites with a browser, no nothing. I can't even connect to my modem's IP address. For example:
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at forum.avast.com.
    *   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
          moments.
    *   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.
    *   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
          that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

So I had to turn the Web Shield off just to connect again and post this...

JohnnyBob

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »
As expected, things returned to "normal" after rebooting my computer. Then I was able to test the Exclusion again in Web Shield, and it definitely does *not* work. AvastSvc.exe sucks off 5-10% of processor time while a download is in progress, unless I disable the Web Shield.

Disabling Web Shield kills the download that was in progress. Then I can't resume the download thereafter unless I restart my modem. So it is screwing with my computer's network configuration. And as noted above, reenabling the Web Shield (after stopping it) kills the network completely, requiring a computer reboot.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 06:18:54 PM »
Of course disabling the web shield will kill the download in progress as it was to one handling the connection for it. So there would be no way to resume the download as it is essentially linked to the web shield redirection port and the web shield is disabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 08:56:11 PM »
Get rid of ZoneAlarm and you will be amazed at how your system responds and you will be able to run Mail Shield, Scripts Shield, and the WebCal thingie. ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:59:54 PM by YoKenny »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »
Anyhow: the exclusion list should work, what it does not.
Igor should try to figure out if it is a bug or a misconfiguration on the user's side.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

JohnnyBob

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »
As I've said before, above, ZoneAlarm stays... I don't want the WebCal thingie anyway, nor the sandbox, nor the scripts shield, etc etc - just a simple and easy antivirus software. Avast is getting too complicated and trying to do more than it should.

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 09:16:06 PM »
As I've said before, above, ZoneAlarm stays... I don't want the WebCal thingie anyway, nor the sandbox, nor the scripts shield, etc etc - just a simple and easy antivirus software. Avast is getting too complicated and trying to do more than it should.
Then Microsoft Security Essentials is for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2L2H1box94

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 09:18:09 PM »
Avast is getting too complicated and trying to do more than it should.

Why do you think so, it's the most flexible/adjustable AV out there.
asyn

PS: I would drop ZA. (unrelated to your AV)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0