Author Topic: From time to time run stinger.exe  (Read 9001 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
From time to time run stinger.exe
« on: October 06, 2004, 08:25:59 PM »
Hello,

From time to time as an extra I run the free program stinger.exe to scan for the newest virus, worms and trojan dangers. It is free. I am a user of AVAST, next to it I have an anti-virus and  an anti-spam account with my ISP, but I also could not do without the proggie Mailwasher, a free Australian anti-spam program where I can delete, and bounce spam and or virus mail on the ISP provider with it, so these won't even enter my "Wyndhose" box, a good tip - if you do not trust something thotoughly only run it in Rich Text Format, if we would only browse or run RTF, then it would be hard for a virus to get a bite on that,  and furthermore I also could not do without scriptdefender from Analog X, together with a good firewall, and behind www.urlencoded.com I feel a bit safer I quess,

pozdrowenia,

POLONUS  8)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 08:29:43 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:From time to time run stinger.exe
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 11:57:25 PM »
Welcome to forums... If I'm correct, Stinger is a standalone application from McAfee... I think it can't scan on-access, just on-demand and for a very few number of trojans. I think it's like avast! Cleaner.
Am I right?
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 02:45:11 AM »
yes stinger is Mcafee's virus cleaner
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

inthewildteam

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 03:15:31 AM »
@ polonus,

I woudn't use the "bounce" function in Mailwasher, not only does it increase network traffic needlessly, any spammer worth their while (and after checking the date and time of response) will know they have a "live address"  It's a great programme and I'm not knocking it at all, but the bounce function should be used with some smarts!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 03:28:48 AM by inthewildteam »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 03:29:50 AM »
Yeah, never ever use BOUNCE feature ! PopTray does all that and there is no useless bounce feature... plus, it's completely free, not like MailWasher. If you use freeware version, you are limited to one pop account only... not the case with PopTray. You can have as many accounts as you want, and also, you can configure PopTray to alarm you with specific sounds, unique for each account... maybe not so important, but for sure, very useful. I'm not 24/7 in front of my screen, so I always know when some e-mail arrives, and also what account is involved. Only one is for business purposes, one for newsgroups (keeps spammers away from my mailbox), and few for registering to some forums.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 03:33:43 AM by S.Z.C »

inthewildteam

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 03:33:07 AM »
Yeah, never ever use BOUNCE feature ! PopTray does all that and there is no useless bounce feature...

Cheers !

And it's free for multiple accounts!  I use both btw, Mailwasher free is only for one account.  Still a good programme tho'  :D

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 03:34:15 AM »
Yes, I just edited my post... but, you were faster my friend...

Cheers !

inthewildteam

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 03:49:35 AM »
Yes, I just edited my post... but, you were faster my friend...

Cheers !

not that much faster!   ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: From time to time run stinger.exe
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 12:10:29 AM »
Dear Inthewildtime,

After I completely reinstalled, I stopped bouncing e-mails. Still
I think Mailwasher is a good add-on for security. Also it is a good thing for security to wall off cookies, only those short lived ones you need for access to a site should be allowed and later thrown out.  When cookies are not available, webbugs cannot function to harm you. Is it true that executable webbugs can drop a file on your harddisk, so when you are online it scans your harddisk for certain keyword file? Or even worse script based executable webbugs that can take out file-content?!  I know M$  uses webbugs in e-mails to see whether they are read or what their IP address is. Can you copy that?

THANX & GREETZ,

POLONUS
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline xistenz

• Poster
Re: From time to time run stinger.exe
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 12:49:28 PM »
McAfee Stinger can be found here: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger
Avast Cleaner can be found here: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_cleaner.html

Both are very good removal tools.

Its still best to use avast! for constant virus protection  8)