Author Topic: GMX Email problem  (Read 6915 times)

nord

GMX Email problem
« on: April 27, 2011, 10:58:50 PM »
Anybody know if Avast conflicts with GMX? Can't seem to download email when Avast is enabled.

Tks.

Hermite15

Re: GMX Email problem
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »
how do you download GMX mail, through an IMAP client? I've tried GMX in the past and had no issue with Avast, but that was a while ago... anyway if you can download as soon as Avast is disabled it just means that GMX requires ssl so: disable SSL in your client and use standard IMAP (143) and SMTP (25) ports. Avast mail shield will then redirect to ssl ports (993 and 465), that's the only way mails can be scanned by the mail shield.

Dch48

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 11:03:37 PM »
I use GMX as my primary email and have no problems at all. How are you accessing the mail? Are you going to the GMX site or using a client like Outlook Express, Windows mail, or Thunderbird?

I get the mail through Outlook Express using POP3 which has to be set up on the GMX site. Like Logos said, you then have to disable the SSL and let Avast handle that itself.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:05:36 PM by Dch48 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:26:30 PM »
Anybody know if Avast conflicts with GMX?

It doesn't conflict with avast!
Using it here with TB.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

nord

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 03:35:01 AM »
Thanks to everybody for their replies. I'm still having problems, but I'm using a different email client, Foxmail 5.

Thinkpad T40
XP PRO SP3
Foxmail 5
Outpost 2009 Free Firewall

I will try this again with a different email program. All my settings are correct and Avast says that it is handling GMX, so I need to check with other programs.

FWIW, I have no problems with GMAIL and AOL/AIM, my other accounts.

Tks.

Oh-Oh... tried gmx with npopuk and it downloaded a test email just fine.

P.S. MY BAD... somehow I had a bad password in Foxmail... when I reentered it manually, I got my email. So sorry to bother y'all on this one. Foxmail 5 and gmx work just fine with Avast. I was looking in the wrong area.

Much thanks for all your posts.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:39:29 AM by nord »

dr. bob

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 08:59:12 AM »
Thanks to everybody for their replies. I'm still having problems, but I'm using a different email client, Foxmail 5.

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved - sort of.

I also have issues with TB and POP3.  Phenomenon is that initially after boot and / or DSL connect of the router a few POP exchanges work OK but somewhere later on I get an error pop up window saying that GXM replied "" (nothing, empty string).

I didn't isolate the issue yet but I believe that it has to do with combination of Thunderbird and Avast Email scanner because other systems in the same network which do not have Avast installed do not exhibit this behavior.

Settings:
TB: POP3, port 110 without security
AVast Mail scanner: pop.gmx.net set to SSL/TLS (port 995)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:09:07 AM by dr. bob »