Author Topic: Month old registration now requests new registration.  (Read 5966 times)

PawBear

Month old registration now requests new registration.
« on: April 28, 2011, 08:34:43 PM »
Avast free indicates I registered 3/28/2011.  Yesterday (4/28/2011) it stopped protecting my system and says I need to register.

I surfed an entire day unprotected.  I'm not very fond of these problems.  Any suggestions?

bobo1

Re: Month old registration now requests new registration.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »
Have you got your registration key via your e-mail? and inserted it into the program?. Go to avast web page and request for a years subscription key if you have not.
Avast free runs for 30days without a valid key (demo mode).
If you have a valid key, try repair of avast in add/remove programs and re insert key.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:45:43 PM by bobo1 »

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 08:46:05 PM »
I surfed an entire day unprotected. 
No, you were/are ok, it just wont get definition/program updates in that state, it still runs, so you were still protected.  Just less so, as time goes on.

Try a repair of Avast!.  Start as though you are going to uninstall Avast!, but choose the "repair" option when it appears, then follow the steps shown.
Once that is finished, if it is still prompting you to re-register, do that also.

Have you got your registration key via your e-mail? and inserted it into the program?. Go to avast web page and request for a years subscription key.
Avast free runs for 30days without a valid key (demo mode).
Free Avast! has no key, Bobo, you just register it from the UI.  Keys only needed for paid versions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 08:56:35 PM »
Please post a screenshot of the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration, see image example or post the details of the two fields highlighted in the image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:07:02 PM »

Free Avast! has no key, Bobo, you just register it from the UI.  Keys only needed for paid versions.

Wrong.

Paid versions need a licence file (.avastlic).

Free is registered via UI or uses a key that you can input (when using web-based online registration).
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:16:35 PM »
yes and for those who have not seen the guide yet ( have been posted here many times ) i post it again

online reg
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459#idt_01

offline reg
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459#idt_02

if you just scroll up and down you will see both

Jack 1000

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:51:29 PM »
Avast free indicates I registered 3/28/2011.  Yesterday (4/28/2011) it stopped protecting my system and says I need to register.

I surfed an entire day unprotected.  I'm not very fond of these problems.  Any suggestions?

The suggestions in the posts above will hopefully help.  On 3/28/2011, how did you register?  If you did not complete the on-line registration form easily found in the program under Maintenance for your 1-year license, OR fill out the off-line registration form, (if on-line registration does not work) and get your license through e-mail for off-line registration, and copy it into the program, you will not be able to use the program after 30 days. (i.e you must fill out a registration form for a license key within 30 days of the install or reinstall of your Avast Program.)

New users of Avast Anti-Virus, AS WELL AS users of Avast Anti-Virus who need to reinstall the program, must complete, (or complete again the registration process on an Avast reinstall) the license key registration process for any Avast products.  The program will tell you under Maintenance, how to update to a paid version if you choose to do that.

Users are given 12 months of free protection, multiple daily updates of virus definitions, and approximate 6-month update pop-up notices for when new releases come out.  New program version notices are also available in the GUI for manual download when released.

About 10 days from expiration of the product key license, all Avast users simply re-register the products for continued 12-month protection.  They are given a pop-up reminder of their need to renew their licenses at that time.

Jack
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:53:03 PM by Jack 1000 »

PawBear

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »
I don't remember.

My response however to the above posts:

Guys,

It's no wonder I'm confused.  You all seem worse off than I am.

Repair did not solve my problem so I uninstalled version x.1044 (got no registration screenshot) and downloaded the latest version.  I don't know your experiences with registration but mine have become increasingly annoying.

I've attached 2 screen captures and a text file:

1. "trying to repair result.jpg" - result of trying to repair the old version x.1044
2. "avast new register window.jpg" - what I get pressing the "register now" button on the new install.  *note the confusing pop-up window - how is someone supposed to register using that?
3.  "repair error log old version x.1044.txt" - the error log from my aborted repair effort

I finally resorted to use the email method partially "hidden" at the bottom of the registration window - the off-line method.

I offer this for info sake.  The program is free and I presume you are all volunteers. I appreciate your efforts.  However, this is my third problem with avast in the last 2 months and I doubt I'll accept anymore.  Because of this very registration nonsense I've already switched 2 friends to MSI.  I'm responsible for multiple computers and am getting tired of this.  Surely Avast can determine how many machines are using their software without user involvement like this.  The number of active signature updates alone should provide that info. If the purpose of registration is meant to generate purchases of the paid version irritating me is not going to accomplish it.

Thanks for your help.

p.s. - When I finally discover a big x on the avast icon because of a registration problem, or for whatever reason, and realize that all shields are disabled I assume anyone would come to the conclusion that my anti-virus protection no longer exits.  I could have gone for days unprotected.  Shouldn't the program have started yelling at me that there is a problem?

The system isn't allowing my attachments.  will try again.

PawBear

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 10:27:45 PM »
Attachment 1

PawBear

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »
attachment 2

PawBear

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 10:29:55 PM »
attachment 3

Jack 1000

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »
attachment 2

With regards to attachment #2, what happens when you click in the first column? It sounds like you have NOT filled out your Avast Registration Form.  This is what I would recommend you try:

Look in the free version column on that picture, (Continue using Free Anti-Virus.) Open up your version of Avast. Click on Register in the free version column and fill out the form using any valid e-mail address.  Click Submit.  That's it!!!  ;D Your done for 12 months!  :D   Than just repeat the process when you get the pop-up reminder next year.

The whole form fill out thing takes about a minute and it's only once a year or per reinstall that you need to do it.

It should be so easy.  It's just filling out the form.

However, I agree that one advantage that MSE has over Avast is no need for registration.  But MSE takes forever to do full scans, (4 hours to all night,) (Avast Full Scan=30 minutes to 1 hour) only updates once every 24 hours, (Avast 2-3 times every 24 hours) MSE is contingent on Windows Update, and sometimes does not update on schedule.  Avast has more in-depth protection. MSE has no Sandbox Protection or Boot Time Scan.

It sounds like you got a fresh install of Avast, so now just go the Registration Tab, click on the free section and fill out the form with a valid e-mail address, and click submit.  If you are successful with Registration, you can tell us how long it took.

Jack

PS.  Seriously, that registration form is peanuts.  Its even easier than register for a free Yahoo Mail or G-Mail account or filling out a form when you sign up at Amazon.  The whole process of Avast Registration should take ONE MINUTE
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:02:13 PM by Jack 1000 »

PawBear

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »
Thanks,

With respect, I understand the simplicity of a fill-in form. However, you miss the whole point of my post.  Not only should registration not be necessary, but as implemented, in MY experience, has been completely confusing.

Look at the responses from the moderators.  Each one suggests a different opinion AND method, sometimes contradictory.  In addition to what I described above, upon closing all other windows, I found an additional window to use for registering.  Could this be ANY MORE confusing?  Am I the only one having this problem?

Please, don't suggest to me this is simple.  I've used Avast for years, and only now have I finally discovered how truly irritating this has become.  Besides, with multiple computers involved, many at distance, it shouldn't be difficult for anyone to appreciate that all this is leaving me with a very bad taste in my mouth!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 12:42:19 AM »
No one who has responded is a moderator, they are all avast users just like you.

I responded seeking information and asked for an image of the avastUI showing your registration details, e.g. the same as the one I posted, your image doesn't show that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 07:37:03 AM »
I don't see your problem.

In your attachement 2 I see the registration window. Just click on register, and everything will work.

If you complain about the fact that a registration is needed at all and you don't want to do that: we can't change that, that's the way Avast does it - you will have to move to some other product.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear