Author Topic: Windows 7 or Vista FW Advanced settings  (Read 8119 times)

Hermite15

Re: Windows 7 or Vista FW Advanced settings
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 03:37:35 PM »
@DavidR you can't uninstall WD in Seven but you can neutralize it (options/admin uncheck "use").

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 04:22:56 PM »
Shame on Microsoft! Another application bundled inside of the OS  >:(
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »
@DavidR you can't uninstall WD in Seven but you can neutralize it (options/admin uncheck "use").

I know that (did that ages ago), it is YoKenny that obviously doesn't know, it can't be uninstalled only disabled and he has been using win7 for ages, so I guess he doesn't know much about it :P
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
Shame on Microsoft! Another application bundled inside of the OS  >:(

yeah no big words ;D ... that's probably the last time since when W7 was introduced, MSE wasn't out yet. There won't be any bundled security software in Windows 8... well at least not WD. Could still be that they bundle MSE but I doubt it, they got enough issues with market dominance abuse in the past so...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 11:47:03 PM »
They got enough issues with market dominance abuse in the past so...
They seem to never learn about their own past... ::)
The best things in life are free.

gdiloren

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »
I installed back again Comodo FW. Strange because I went up to check the pre-defined rules after install and it is set quite exactly as the Windows FW, i.e. to let all outbound permitted (I guess they don't want problems). Has someone been successful in playing with those rules in order to be more "secure"? :'(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:49:14 PM by gdiloren »

MAG

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »
I installed back again Comodo FW. Strange because I went up to check the pre-defined rules after install and it is set quite exactly as the Windows FW, i.e. to let all outbound permitted (I guess they don't want problems). Has someone been successful in playing with those rules in order to be more "secure"? :'(
I didn't see it as quite the same as windows fw.

Under firewall behaviour if you have it set to safe mode then it will only alow outbound traffic from applications it knows are safe. All other traffic is alerted.

By default it no longer creates rules for safe applications, but you can tick the box below to have it do that if you want.

I imagine it would treat any of the major browsers as a known safe application.

gdiloren

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »
I didn't see it as quite the same as windows fw.

Under firewall behaviour if you have it set to safe mode then it will only alow outbound traffic from applications it knows are safe. All other traffic is alerted.

By default it no longer creates rules for safe applications, but you can tick the box below to have it do that if you want.

I imagine it would treat any of the major browsers as a known safe application.
Thanks!!! How stupid of me, it's re-assuring though, thank you! ;)