Author Topic: Japan's Tsunami @ 11 March 2011  (Read 24091 times)

ManyQs

Re: Japan's Tsunami @ 11 March 2011
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2011, 01:56:05 AM »
It is Monday morning here in Japan and in appreciation to the sometimes dangerous work they have done and will do I'd like to note that the Japanese Self-Defense Forces and the various branches of the United States military over here will be conducting their third "massive search" for missing and I think we can presume by now, deceased, victims. I believe we're talking about some 30,000 plus troops poking around all along the beaches and along paths the tsunamis took inland and choppers above and even more searches out at sea.

This is no small thing when one considers these troops will need field support, food and medical backup, and all sorts of stuff. Fuel for all the helicopters and vehicles. And they all have to have some backup for any emergency that might arise like a chopper going down.

And this is the third such operation.

Just thought it might be good to tip a hat to them, so to speak.

ManyQs

Re: Japan's Tsunami @ 11 March 2011
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2011, 04:35:47 PM »
Well folks, there are two schools of thought on this, but I personally have no clue. One is that we are fixin' to have another biggie and the other is just the opposite -- that stress is being relieved and all is going to be just fine.

You see in the last five days we've had about 170 aftershocks up and down the coast between Akita and Chiba prefectures. Up and down, south to north, north to south, down and up, and on and on and on.

To put that into some perspective, on the 25th there were 15. On the 26th there were 10. From the 27th to now it's been the Earhtquake Shuffle, or whatever this dance should be called. 170 in five days is about 34 a day or at least one an hour. Today they've been bunched up at times and sometimes as many as 4 or 5 an hour. But not so strong most of the time. From time to time a strength 3 or 4 on the Japanese scale so one doesn't completely forget Mother Nature is doing Her thing.

Who knows what it all means. I'm sure no two experts will agree, so we just wait and see, eh?

But I figured this was as good a time as any to update y'all on the situation here.

As for the Fukushima Daiichi Power Plant, it's still a serious situation being contained and very slowly getting ever so slightly better. There we need luck, for sure. No big quakes is the biggest bit of luck we need. Then the human factor type of luck -- no big mistakes.

And that's the way it is right now, folks. Your Friendly Far East Earthquake (FFEE) reporter with another update.