Author Topic: cannot update virus defs  (Read 6570 times)

bobo1

Re: cannot update virus defs
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 06:45:59 PM »
1. SP3 is required for avast. Sp2 has too many risks of trojans viruses will get in to your computer (port risks).
2.Did you have any other antivirus on the computer previous to avast? if so what was it? Nortons macafees have their removal tools.
3. Download and update Malwarebytes antispyware. Run malwarebyes free antispyware to see what it finds and remove.
reboot computer.
re instal or repair avast through add and remove programs.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:56:33 PM by bobo1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »
Code: [Select]
08:56:08 min/gen  Return code: 0x2000000A [Another instance of setup is already running. Please wait until it finishes and then try to run it again.avast.setup is blocked and avoiding the proper update process.
You can't update more than once at time.

When did you install avast for the first time? The trial period expires in 30 days.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 08:59:24 PM »
1. SP3 is required for avast. Sp2 has too many risks of trojans viruses will get in to your computer (port risks).
<snip>

SP3 is not a requirement for avast, the minimum for XP and avast is SP2, whilst it is advisable to have SP2 it isn't a mandatory requirement.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dana

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »
Thank you all for your replies and information.

I am installing windows xp sp 3 today although,I too, had been under the impression sp3 was not a requirement.
I have Malwarebytes on my computer and ran it extensively and it did not find any viruses, trojans, etc. I also ran Drweb has a secondary precaution and it didn't find anything amiss either.

Previously I had Avast..hmmm...I think it was the version offered after 4.8..and removed that prior to downloading and installing this latest version.

I also made sure Malwarebytes accepted Avast..

This is a registered version and I only downloaded it yesterday..geez..I'm lost..maybe the day before yesterday.

In terms of attempting to run it more than once at a time..that was later on when I had discovered it wasn't self updating and thought I had cancelled that attempt, went into tools and changed to manual updating and tried it that way.

So..I am guessing there isn't a viable option in this case via downloading the Virus Def updates separately and installing that way as it hadn't worked when I tried it as suggested earlier today?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:45:41 PM by dana »

dana

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 05:35:51 PM »
I just want to add here that the suggestion about using "add/remove" avast and restore; you forgot to mention I needed to uncheck the avast self protection in settings..and I also want to add the incredible hassle avast is just to uninstall.

Now I have xp sp 3 on my computer and it hasn't made a difference in getting avast updater to work.

While trying to figure out how to get avast to update, after removing it and reinstalling it still didn't work. So I uninstalled it again but as I didn't want to be without an antivirus program running I decided to give AVG a try and quickly downloaded and installed AVG antivirus.
 Not only did it install without a problem, it updates without a problem.

I am wondering if avast hasn't over complicated it's progam some how..but as I have always used Avast, I will continue hoping to be able to utilize it again sometime soon and remove AVG at that time.

Again, thanks to all that tried to help me here in this forum.