Author Topic: problem updating virus definitions. and program.  (Read 3865 times)

fltrekker1

problem updating virus definitions. and program.
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:22:45 PM »
booted up this morning, and see a yellow exclamation on my avast icon, opened up and says FIX NOW

virus definitions version and program version are in red.

when i choose update/upgrade,

it gets to step 1 and stops,  "last encounted error: the package is broken, already up to date.

virus definitions already up to date (110429-0)
program already up to date : (5.1.889)   

this is a paid version of avast internet security. i do now know what to do, it keeps telling me my system is not up to date.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: problem updating virus definitions. and program.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:25:45 PM »
Download the newest AIS by clicking on the blue "AIS" in my signature and install over the existing installation.
Do not uninstall the current version!
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 01:33:57 PM »
program already up to date : (5.1.889)   
Current version is v6.0.1091 so follow Zyndstoff's advice.

fltrekker1

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »
i see that 6 is the newest version, but when i went to update it, it says i am up to date, and failed..

regardless, ty for the help, but for whatever reason, i tried to update again on lunch break at home, and it worked without a hitch, so maybe a hiccup on avasts server side, who knows..

all is good now tyvm..

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:02:14 PM »
Have you updated the program version to 6.0.1091?
If not: do so. Follow my advice above.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

kiler07

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 04:19:31 AM »
I'm experiencing the same problem but I have 6.0.1091 version. THe exclamation point is on virus definition and the 110429-0 is in red. It also says I'm updated when I try it.? System is slow and avast fails to startup on it's own as before when the computer is restarted. I have to start it manually?

kiler07

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 04:44:05 AM »
Curiously, I do not have a Fix prompt and it reads the system is fully protected.  I was concerned because I had just put this thing through a rigorous cleaning due to the sinowal trojan getting introduced sometime in between using the free version and updating to Internet Security version which found it, after I finally got the update to work properly. It was a week worth of fighting with it, multiple programs, dumping restores and temp files, etc,  and while I was waiting for a reply from the log I posted to verify if it was still infected, I updated avast and did a boot scan WHICH TOOK MANY HOURS TO COMPLETE! Not normal. Now the system is very slow and not loading all the startup files.  Got  one error during the boot scan, error 42127, a corrupt cab with a tmp file extension. So I used Ccleaner AND  Disk Cleanup, and ran a SFC with hope that it would rectify the situation.  What's up with the updates?

BTW, essexboy did reply to my posted log and said it was clean. ....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:52:27 AM by kiler07 »

kiler07

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 06:46:54 AM »
Okay, another odd thing is when restarting with a clean boot, two avast service files (Antivirus and Firewall) are running under the services tab in sysconfig but are not checked and the avast application is not open or showing as active in the task bar.  Also the Manufacture name is 'Unknown'.

Sure would appreciate some assistance. Is this listed in the correct category?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 03:31:03 PM »
I'm experiencing the same problem but I have 6.0.1091 version. THe exclamation point is on virus definition and the 110429-0 is in red. It also says I'm updated when I try it.? System is slow and avast fails to startup on it's own as before when the computer is restarted. I have to start it manually?

Then it isn't the same problem, so you should start your own new topic (or continue in your other topic) as you are hijacking this one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kiler07

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 07:39:09 PM »
So sorry, DavidR, the problem seemed similar to me. How do I change this and where should I post to get help?  I stand corrected but am disappointed that all you offer me is a slap on the hand, so to speak. I have been trying to be very patient with this and hoped to hear a a solution that  fltrekker1 had success with to possibly try.  I new to posting on this forum but have a long history using Avast and referring it to many of my business client and family and friends. I have been a 'faithful follower of Avast. HOWEVER, since the new changes this last year, there are been alot of issues with new installs and updates causing major problems with all OS and computers. Usually there's some sort of pattern....  Please again, tell me what is proper to get help and where should I post?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:47:26 PM by kiler07 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 08:40:26 PM »
- Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0.  Click the New Topic button (see image, click to expand) at the top of the list and post there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security